• I am all in favor of equality.

Problem is, affirmative action promotes discrimination. Some have given affirmative action another name, positive discrimination. To me this is a contradiction or an oxymoron. By giving one race an advantage over another is discrimination and that is what affirmative action does. At one time, it may have been necessary in order to help those who had been discriminated against in the past catch up but the races have been equal for many decades. The races that where held back have caught up. Laws are in place to make sure they can not be discriminated against ever again. So we don't need it anymore.
    List of things that would be called racist.
    Miss White America pageant
    The Caucasian College Fund
    White History Month
    National Association for the Advancement of White People
    White Entertainment Television
    All these would be considered racist but somehow they are not when in favor or black people.
    Personally, I barely notice a persons color. I judge a person by what they do, now by their appearance. About the only reason I may make not of physical features is when two or more people have the first name. I may say something like black Mark or white Karen, but I would also use tall Eric or skinny Tina. To me, it is just a factor and not something that makes them better or worse than any others.

• More competence not diversity.

M therightanswer posted and said "In 1998, when California abolished Affirmative Action, the percentage of minorities decreased 61% in UC Berkeley and 36% in UCLA" do you know what that means? It means, sadly, those minorities students were incompetent. They did not have the Grades to enter. It is their own fault. I am an Hispanic male and I see the unfairness of Affirmative action. I love the idea of working hard and not the easy way in. We need more competence not diversity. I don't care if all of Congress were women. Just as long as they are competent.

• Everyone is equal..... Except when applying to a job? WTF?

I think of affirmative action in simpler terms.

Affirmative Action: Using Race, Gender, or other factors in place of relevant qualifications.

All I hear from the left is that everyone needs to be treated equally. Except all those "privileged" white people.

I am actually at a disadvantage when applying to any job because I have to check male, white/caucasian.

Is that equal treatment?

• Of course it is a fraud. It may have started out legitimately, but is nothing but an extortion racket now.

Men like Jesse Jackson, All Sharpton and their wannabees, frequently make racist comments about their own race, and their racist comments about whites are pretty much a normal part of their conversation.

They see racism within a corporation, and then demand money, then the racism cannot be seen. I guess they are not against green.

• Apparently African Americans are to stupid to enter into a university?

The main premise of affirmative action is racist. This policy idea comes from the mindset that African Americans are too stupid and incompetent to enter into a university and as such they need the government to create and enforce affirmative action. That is racist and it unbecoming for people to uphold this policy.

• We Need Diversity in Higher Education Institutions...Mitch!

In 1998, when California abolished Affirmative Action, the percentage of minorities decreased 61% in UC Berkeley and 36% in UC LA. Just sayin'.
    "It may have been necessary in order to help those who had been discriminated against in the past catch up but the races have been equal for many decades. " Unfortunately, society has yet to fully integrate minority groups. Statistics show that most low-wage jobs are employed by minorities. I agree, race should not make someone inferior or superior. Additionally, the world is full of diversity. Higher education institutions should reflect the plethora of races and ethnicities that exist! Just sayin!

• Invented by whites in the 1700's

In 1743 or 1744, a committee in South Carolina, appointed to consider the most effective way of increasing immigration to the province, included a clause in a bill which prohibited negro's and other slaves to those mechanical trades in which white people are usually employed. Now that is a fact.

• Affirmative Action is a Solution to a Problem that Runs Too Deep

What needs to be solved is the unfortunate problem of inequity. Low-income students, who are generally minorities, do not have access to the same opportunities as students from more affluent areas. Schools in low-income communities are under funded and most low-income families cannot afford to pay for tutoring to help their children receive those high SAT scores or a perfect 4.0 GPA. Additionally, a student who does receive a 4.0 and who is a hard- worker may actually be behind compared to other students at his or her college. The reason for this paradox is because low-income tend to have teachers that are ineffective and not qualified. How can students who attend school in an under serving community compete against a student who attends Deerfield Academy, which is one of the top schools in the country?