• Who's the slave?

I have felt like work is slavery for a long time. I work part time and/or seasonally so I get a lot of free time but at what cost. My husband goes to work every day so that I have my free time but then am I making him my slave? The dilemma... I am diabetic (type 2) so we need the health insurance for the meds to keep me alive. With no meds, I have about two years to live. How about that for a conundrum? If I have to work full time, I would rather go off my meds to be free in spite of the cost.

• Work is for slaves and overachievers.......And I'm neither

Nothing has changed since beginning of time, just like the Egyptians who had the Pharaoh with his 10 thousand slaves to build his pyramids, today we have the CEO's and their worker slaves. The few rich control the 95% of society and the rest of us are their slaves. I wasn't lucky enough to be an heir to a throne or a son of some multi billion dollar CEO, so I have to be a slave and go to work, day after day just so I can eat. It's too bad that we have to be slaves for the duration of our lives and they let us retire once we are too old and decrepit to perform their jobs. By then you are on your death bed taking 20 medication pills a day to live and are too invalid to actually travel or enjoy and live your life. It's a sad world we live in.

• Yes it is slavery

Just don't work and see what happens. There is no better way to kill ambition, drive and the human spirit then work. Today automation can free humans. Humans can aspire to greatness outside of the shackles of "work". Physical slavery requires people to be housed and fed. Economic slavery requires people to feed and house themselves.

• Yes it is slavery

• Yes it is slavery

• Yes it is slavery

• Yes and No

If you love your job, then it's not slavery. But if you hate your job, then it is slavery. I hated my retail job so much that I had suicidal thoughts even on my days off, because I was terrified that my boss (my master) would call me in whenever my co-workers were sick. So I couldn't even enjoy my free time... If I had a job I loved, though, I would change my mind as fast as lightning! But where in America are the enjoyable jobs?!

• I think it is.

But pay me enough so that I can control other people with it and I will gladly change my answer to no. That way I would be free to do what I want while others had to do things for me. It's not like I wouldn't pay them as much as I could to to keep them here. As long as I could still get the upgraded options on my new car and was still under charge as a boss. So I don't see the big deal.

• Work for the things you hardly use

Spend all you time working your ass off rest of the time your not even awake and then the few hours you are that aren't spent at work you enjoy what work has earned you makes no sense to spend way more time working for something to not even spend half of that time enjoying it

• Work for the things you hardly use

• No, it's not.

No, I do not think that all work is slavery. Money can not just be given out for free, so people need to find ways to contribute to society. Hopefully, they can find something they love doing so that it doesn't seem quite like work. I don't think that most people would compare their jobs to slavery.

• Work is not slavery.

Work is to help people pay their bills, buy their food, and support their family. Slavery is forcing someone to work without pay and treating them poorly. Slavery was abolished many many years ago, and even though some people still treat people as slaves, it is NOT the working class.

• Not in America

Everyone must work. Whether you live in America, China, Russia, Afghanistan...Everyone must work to survive in this world. Does this mean we are slaves?

Not at all.

Slavery means you are indebted to someone, you have no choice where you work, or when you can leave. In this country, you are indebted to no one unless to choose to be (credit cards, home loans, etc...).

There is no law stating you are required to work, but you cannot survive without working. But the best part of it is you get to choose where you work, who you work for, and how much you get paid. No, you can't walk in to a hospital and demand they hire you on as a neurosurgeon, but if that is where you want you life to end up you have the ability to make it happen with hard work.

Oh, hard work? That's what this country in missing.

• Most Work Is Not Slavery

This question is settled simply be examining the definition of each term, “work” and “slavery.” Most work, as the word is generally understood today, does not fit the definition of slavery, which is involuntary servitude with little or no pay. Almost all work nowadays is for pay, and the people receiving the pay are free, at least theoretically, to leave their employer and seek a new job elsewhere. Inclusion of the word “all” in the question automatically elicits a negative response, by definition.