Is Anonymous going to have positive impacts on America?

Asked by: DudeWithAName
  • More like on the world.

While I do not believe that vigilante justice is the right answer, I believe that when implemented correctly, it can be a powerful force. For example, Anonymous recently took down several ISIS social media pages, reducing ISIS' influence and recruiting capabilities. After all, social media is ISIS' primary tool and they are very capable with it.

• The truth will set us free

There are several things that Anon has done as a collective to protect our freedoms of expression as well as making sure facts don't go to the wayside. It's important that the collective sticks together though. When offshoots like lawlz happen it undermines the collectives intentions. I understand they became bigger than themselves in 2008, but that should only show the collective they are needed.

• Knowledge is free

We are Anonymous
    We are a Legion
    We do not forgive
    We do not forget
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

• They have what it take to show the flaws in our governments

I have to be honest, not always does vigilante justice work. But with Anonymous, they have a focus, a mission and they seem to stay mostly on track with their goals and ambitions. Yes, I do believe they have a positive impact because they have done some great things. They show what Westboro Baptist Church was about, they supported occupy wall street. But they do need to make sure that they don't abuse the power and talent that they have. As long as they keep themselves in line, they can have a huge positive impact on America

• I'm yes and no

Anonymous has great potential to do great things and improve the world as a whole, but they need to have something that keeps them in check. For instance the samurai had the bushido code, to keep them from abusing their power. Anonymous must have something to keep them from abusing their talents.
    The second thing that Anonymous must learn is that sometimes the release of information must be restricted, if only for a short time.
    Now I'm all for the handing information to the public and letting them be informed, but at times like when anonymous gave the name of the officer who shot Mike Brown, before the police did, they could have put the family of the officer in danger, and as any person who ever had family that you disagreed with would know, that you don't judge a person by their family. But a lot of people weren't thinking like that and it could have easily ended in catastrophe.
    As a whole anonymous can be a great asset to the public, and keep the people in power honest, but I do fear that without any restraint or control, they could end up hurting a lot of innocent people.

• This organization is increasing people's freedom to some point

As the gabep said, yes, they can lower influence of American enemies, but it is not the point of the Anonymous. Their point is to show how fragile can be powers that are influencing most people, thus decreasing this influence and showing the way to freedom. Wasn't that the American dream?

• More like on the world.