• Best investment you can make.

Look at the artist Gerhard Richter's prices and see what they're selling for. Millions. Imagine buying a painting for a few thousand and a few years later its worth millions. That's a great investment but you have to do your homework and buy low sell high. For example, today, you can buy a painting from another of the greatest living artists, Dan Cumpata, at discount, while museums and even the Vatican are acquiring his paintings. It's just a matter of time before the value of his art skyrockets, maybe even hitting the $million dollar mark. But the best part of the investment is the appreciation of the artist's creativity. Knowing you have before you a Masterpiece, formed with a pure natural spirit. Priceless!

• Best investment you can make!

• Inner Sanctum

Art is not something that you can judge by its "usability". Art is a form of expression, a way to show people a point of view in which other forms they would not understand. Art allows you to look not only at something beautiful, but teach you about yourself. Art causes emotion to comeforth and shows you how you, and hopefully how humanity can work.

• Yes art is a good investment

Don't forget, art takes many many forms. No one is the same or as meaningful as another. It all depends on the person doing the creating. It all holds meaning though and it's what makes the world so special and unique. Without it, you'd have a bland and cold world instead. So yes I think art is not only a good investment, but is vital to making the world what it is, to its' soul.

• ART IS VITAL!

Art is a way of free expression and stress relief. When I drive Through a town with sculptures and art in it, I want to stay longer. People have been creating art since the beginning of time. Who are we to decide now that it was never worth it? People say that you could donate the money to orphanages or shelters, but if I was a lonely child in an orphanage, I would give anything for some paints or clay, just to have a way to express how I felt. Even a bright painting on a wall can change the entire atmospere of a room.

• Yes no doubt

Art is appreciation of beauty, creativity, the energy of life which flows naturally and pure. That an artist may capture this force through various mediums into a genuine form is a representation of our creative power. Being able to take something so raw and giving it life through our own imagination is an important part of balancing our mental aspects. Spiritually art is a good investment, and it should follow that it is a good material investment as well. You can't go wrong by investing in art that transcends you.

• Art is wonderful, but as an investment it's errible

As a professional artist, I can tell you: art is not a good investment. The market is completely opaque. It is thoroughly and radically manipulated by a handful of "taste makers" who have far too much influence on price. Pricing rarely has anything to do with merit- only in the true upper-eschelon of painting and sculpture.
    Art rarely keeps up with inflation. Almost very single asset class has provided better inflation adjusted returns.
    There is also the massive problem of liquidity. What makes you think that you'll be able to sell your painting for what you want to get? Also, if you buy a painting through a dealer, you will be paying a premium. When you sell your painting, it will probably be through a dealer, given how illiquid the art market is. When the happens, the dealer will give you only a percentage of the sticker price. They will keep a fat premium for themselves, and the cycle goes on.
    In no other asset class are the horrible liquidity conditions, the rampant market manipulation, or the complete inability of the investor to do any semblance of securities analysis considered acceptable.
    All that said, I love art, am an artist, and will continue to collect art. But only with a sliver of my capital. Much wiser would be to fully fund your IRA, your 401(k), etc.
    If you doubt what I have said about manipulations and liquidity, I challenge you to gain an inside view of the art-world. Volunteer at a gallery. Start a gallery! Being on the inside will rot your rosy picture of the art-market as cultural asset.

• No, art isn't a good investment

It's not a good investment because it holds no usable purpose besides being a decoration. Some artwork can hold quite a bit of history which gives it value but the art itself does not. Some people will pay hundreds if not thousands for certain pieces of artwork but I feel that's an unreasonable amount of money to spend on something you just look at.

Posted by: jus
  • No I would have to say no

Art is not a good investment unless you have so much money that you have no idea what to do with it and don't want to give it to people who desperately need it. I believe honestly most art is bought to impress people, "Oh I bought this really expensive piece and it's worth this much." Well I have a better idea, why don't you say to impress that I gave this much money to hurricane Sandy victims, or to the orphanage and get a certificate and hang it on a wall that should certainly impress.

• No, not in this age

Art from the past is something unique. It's unlike anything else from the time, and shows us the culture and minds of the people from that time.

With history so easily documented and recorded in this day and age, art only has an intellectual and personal value. I can't see art being worth much more than you would pay for it to begin with.

The large amount of art from our time also plays a large factor. It is by no means a rare and unique artifact. Though beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and art can only be worth as much as ones opinion deems it.

I'd say no, and that it is a bad investment for your money (not for your soul ).