• It can be profoundly disabling.

I wonder if the person who said no has ever met anyone with autism as their views are very uneducated on the topic. Autism easily meets the criteria for a severe disability when the person is on the lower functioning end of the autistic spectrum. High functioning autism like Aspergers is still a very difficult disability to live with and people deserve all the support we can offer.

• Professional view on autism

I work as a learning disability nurse working in a assessment unit, and there are lots of people with autism that come in to be assessed. My ward is recommended by their doctor and they all have more severe autism. It does affect their social skills and they always have a set routine that they like to follow. One person is non verbal and has trouble communicating their feelings, the person can seem happy by smiling and the next second they get violent towards staff. All of the autistic clients that I encounter in my line of work do not like noise either, so there are a lot of factors in this disability.

• I work in a learning disability assessment unit

I have seen a lot of patient enter my place of work who have some degree of autism, whether it may be mild or severe. They rely on medication to help with their autism and they can display different symtoms. The person in question might find it difficult to socialize with other people as their brain computes in a different way to ours. They usually don't like noise, depending on the severity of the autism. There are many other factors that attribute to this disability as well.

• Autism IS a disability.

Autism is known for causing speech development problems in children, some children who suffer from autism may never speak at all. It indeed is a disability because it can also slow down learning, it's more severe in those who are low-functioning autistics. People with autism may have difficulties trying to communicate with others, which may cause problems in the future such as trying to find a job.

• One doesn't realize this until they've met someone with it.

My little cousin was born with autism. His father left him at a very young age, and he has a hard time actually speaking. But he is the smartest kid you'll ever know. He may not show it, but he can count, he knows his ABCs, and he is a great listener. But this autism has stopped him from showing his intelligence off. He is made fun of at school and is mistreated by some of his relatives. He should not be denied the same rights as everybody else just because he can't speak and has a learning disability. Autism gets the best of people, but it doesn't mean that it makes people dumb. My cousin is smart and deserves to be recognized as such. Doctors must find a cure for this disability.

• Have any Autistic people suffered problems other, non-Autistic people haven't simply because of the syndrome?

Obviously. An example might be a school refusing to allow a pupil with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) to go on a class visit to the theatre, because that pupil has attention difficulties and may disrupt the performance. The pupil’s attention difficulties are a consequence of his disability. The same can be stated for autism.

• It is often disabling, but that's not necessarily the case. The definition of the syndrome is not sufficient to demonstrate disability.

Autism is nothing more than a syndrome defined by criteria listed in a manual of mental disorders. The characteristics of autism (deficiencies in socialization, communication and obsessive behaviors) do not by themselves lead to what we consider disability necessarily. Indeed, even if a person is friendless, communicates in stereotypical ways, and has obsessive interests, they might still function relatively well in society, do well in school, hold employment, and so forth.