• Baseball is a sport because of the agility, fitness, focus, strength, and precision it requires.

Here are 5 good reasons why baseball is a sport. If these don't convince you, you're blind.

1. It takes extreme agility to be able to react to a baseball hit 70-90+ mph in the infield, chase after it, and throw it to first base in roughly 4 seconds.

2. Baseball requires fitness to be able to steal a base in 4 seconds, managing to avoid a tag and be safe. Or what about chasing a ball down in the outfield and diving to make a catch? Tell me that doesn't require fitness.

3. Intense focus is key in baseball among all other sports. In the field, you must be ready to field a ball and know exactly what you're going to do with it before each pitch is thrown. "What do I do if the ball is hit to me in the air?" "What do I do if the ball is hit to me on the ground?" "Who am I backing up next pitch?" "How many outs are there?" When hitting at the plate, you must be ready for any pitch, and also must know what to do depending on the count, number of outs, and where runners are on base. "Okay, no outs, man on second. It's my job to get him to third so the next guy up can score him. I'll try to hit one hard on the ground to the right side." "1 balls, 2 strikes. Chances are he'll try to fool me with a curveball or a changeup." "Man on third, 1 out. I'll hit a sac fly so he can score." There are hundreds of other scenarios that each player must think about before each pitch, whether they are hitting or fielding.

4. All-around strength is also important when playing baseball. You must have a strong lower body to be able to run quickly and burst. You must have a strong upper body to be able to throw. Not to mention hitting, which requires a strong lower body, core, and upper body, all of which are used in one fluid motion when swinging.

5. Lastly, baseball is a game of precision. Let's start with pitching. A pitcher must be able to consistently throw a 2.9-inch diameter baseball to an 18-inch wide plate 60 feet away. Next, take hitting. A hitter must be able to hit a 2.9-inch diameter round baseball with a round bat, 2 5/8 inches in diameter. It takes about 0.4 seconds for a 90 mph fastball to reach home plate. It takes about 0.25 seconds for the hitter to see the ball and react. That doesn't leave much room for error. The difference between a home run and a ground out is a matter of millimeters. Lastly, take fielding. A shortstop must react to the ball, field it cleanly, and throw the ball about 100-120 feet and hit a 7-foot radius. Now that's precision.

Yep. If that didn't change your mind, nothing will.

• Baseball is a sport, because of the agility, fitness, focus, strength, and precision that it requires.

3. Intense focus is key in baseball among all other sports. In the field, you must be ready to field a ball and know exactly what you're going to do with it before each pitch is thrown. "What do I do if the ball is hit to me in the air?" "What do I do if the ball is hit to me on the ground?" "Who am I backing up next pitch?" "How many outs are there?" When hitting at the plate, you must be ready for any pitch, and also must know what to do depending on the count, number of outs, and where runners are on base. "Okay, no outs, man on second. It's my job to get him to third so the next guy up can score him. I'll try to hit one hard on the ground to the right side." "1 balls, 2 strikes. Chances are he'll try to fool me with a curve ball or a changeup." "Man on third, 1 out. I'll hit a sac fly so he can score." There are hundreds of other scenarios that each player must think about before each pitch, whether they are hitting or fielding.

Yeah. That's right. Baseball is a sport.

• Baseball IS a Sport!

I am in the Babe Ruth league (13U) and most people are saying that baseball isn't an intense sport, well you are kind of right. Baseball games are not very intense because most of the time you are standing around, but during practice, which for me is everyday we don't have a game, is very intense. We run a lot, up to 5 miles of sprinting/running in one practice, we also do a lot of push-ups so you are getting that needed activity that is in a lot of other sports.

• Why is this even an argument

The people who say baseball is boring or it is not a sport is a fag. I mean it is so complex there is no way no one could remember all the rules and it’s even harder to know 10-15 different pitches and where they’re going to be in under .2 seconds and I’ll stop with this. 92.78% of injuries in other sports are self inflicted because someone makes a mistake on their own part, for example, a football player breaks his ankle because he doesn’t know how to tackle right and most of baseball injuries are wear and tear like TOMMY JOHN SURGERY or HIT IN BODY WITH A BASEBALL which hurts way more than someone barely tapping your in the arm (basketball). So not only is baseball hard but it is complex and you need to be tough and in good shape.

• Not as physically demanding, but still a sport.

Right off the bat, I will say that baseball is not as physically demanding as other sports such as hockey or football, but it is still challenging in its own right. It requires a great deal of spatial awareness, not only to hit the ball, but to know where everyone else on the field is and where the play needs to go.

Also, what is shown on TV is only part of the game. On every play, everyone is moving, no matter where the ball is, or what position they play. Baseball is a game of strategy, because you always need to know where to go or where to throw the ball depending on what happens, before it happens. All this moving requires at least some athleticism.

In closing, I know that baseball isn't that hard on your body (except your elbow), but it is still challenging enough to be a sport.

• Because it’s the same as other sports they all were uniforms they have coaches they all sweat that’s why is a sport

Baseball is a sport people so deal with it just because you guys like other sports dosent mean that baseball is not a sport so bye all you ugly ass butthead likers have a nice day everybody and dont forget that baseball is a sport and dont forget to go to school and learn that baseball is a sport.

• Baseball is definitely a sport

Baseball is a sport it takes plenty of talent and skill and years of training. Everybody thinks its so easy to hit a baseball and its not. In the majors college and high school ball these guys dont just lob the ball in for you like they did in t-ball they throw harder than a car goes on an interstate. Anyone can hit a basket or catch a football but not everyone can hit a baseball or throw a ball from home plate over the fence.

• Idk i guess

The debate says 50 50 and i just want to prove someone wrong so yeah the debate says 50 50 and i just want to prove someone wrong so yeah the debate says 50 50 and i just want to prove someone wrong so yeah the debate says 50 50 and i just want to prove someone wrong so yeah the debate says 50 50 and i just want to prove someone wrong so yeah the debate says 50 50 and i just want to prove someone wrong so yeah the debate says 50 50 and i just want to prove someone wrong so yeah the debate says 50 50 and i just want to prove someone wrong so yeah

• Baseball is a sport

Baseball is a sport. It doesn't take much skill to run into one another as hard as you can but putting a round ball on a round bat takes precise timing and I can guarantee anyone who says baseball is not a sport is in no way capable of doing half of the mechanics required for baseball. Baseball is complex. There are so many things that could happen at any given time, but only like two in every other sport. Baseball is so hard that you can fail 70% of the time and be considered a legend. If you fail 70% of the time at anything else you WILL get fired. I'd say having to recognize a dozen pitched in fractions of a second is pretty damn hard and if the skill and mentality that it takes isn't considered sports worthy then I don't know what is.

• Game yes, team sport no.

You can't deny that many baseball players are athletes and that the individual skills are considerable. However, without constant play (movment of the ball), real cardiovascular demands, and teamwork over individual accomplishments it doesn't measure up to any other team sport short of, yawn, cricket.

Crack open the dictionary and defend your case if you must, but if you have to quote strict definitions, you've already lost the argument. To quote Supreme Court Justice Stewart on obscenity, "I'll know it when I see it." Most people intuitively know that baseball is a pastime, a great excuse to eat over-priced food, and a chance to hang out with your friends while you watch (not very intently) something. Kind of like a movie, but most people pay unfailing attention to the movie.

If for some point the US Supreme Court ever takes up this question, and somehow determines that Baseball is a Sport, then the dissenting opinion will certainly note that it is the most booooooooring sport ever (next to cricket).

• Baseball is a pastime, leisure activity, recreational game, etc.

Baseball takes less physical exertion than many other "non-sports" (marching band, drama [at the intense parts of course], etc.) and also is too slow paced to be a sport. Players mostly stand around waiting for the ball to be hit to them, throw it to a teammate, and then return to their spot standing around and waiting. And don't even get me started on the batting team that has a MAXIMUM of 4 players on the field at one time. Not a sport. Period.

• Baseball isnt a sport. Its me, big mike ya boi

Baseball isnt a sport. Im in highschool and the baseball players are the most unathletic suckers i have ever known. They are weak, skinny, and slow. The only thing i hate more than baseball is softball. You thought the boys were unathletic? Just imagine the same kinda thing with inferior athletes in general. The strongest girl cant even bench 135. I can bench 135 like 40 times and im a linebacker lol

• Baseball is a big piece of garbage

Baseball should not be considered a sport because it's not really athletic, you very rarely even get to run. I mean, really. Cheer leading is more of a sport than baseball is and i just want everyone to know this, sports are supposed to be athletic and if all you do is hit a ball it's not athletic.

• Cricket is life

Cricket is more important than baseball because baseball is destroyed by American influences which kill children with evil words perpetrated by Donald Trump. Baseball is scary, but cricket is really important for society because it is harder to hit the ball and more people are good at playing cricket. Yeah.

• No Pro-Argument Here Has Given an Actual Reason Why It Is a Sport

Every argument by someone who plays baseball or thinks baseball is a sport is this:
    "It's the American National Pastime!" - "Pastime"
    "It's on TV." - So are esports and card games
    "People who play it have muscles!" - Does not mean it is physically demanding. You can have muscles playing competitive video games, doesn't mean it is physically demanding.
    "100+ mph balls." - Really? One action (pitching) being practiced over and over again and being mastered is not really that outstanding. Other sports have multiple talents being needed and applied. Not just using one arm to throw a ball repeatedly.
    "It's in the olympics." - So is javelin throwing. Is that a sport?

The game is a joke. If you can do it while chewing tobacco then it's pretty obvious

• It takes no athletisim

Im a soccer player and we are all known for our flopping skills but baseball takes no athletism at all. You swing a bat then run for 5 seconds then you are out and sit down for hours waiting until you are needed again which is never. IT IS NOT A SPORT!!!!!

• Not a Sport

Baseball requires no fitness. All these people saying hockey isn't a sport clearly don't understand the endurance and strength needed to skate fast, and use a stick to maneuver a puck. Also, baseball is extremely boring. The most interesting thing that happens is an animal runs onto the field or some fan takes off his shirt and starts dancing.

• Baseball is not a sport

In my opinion bowling is the only sport that matters. Baseballs weigh 5 1/4 ounces and an average bowling ball weighs 16 pounds.
    Checkmate. I need more words so I will leave you with this quote.

I like bowling. I suck at it, but I like it. You know what's so funny? I have days when I'm absolutely great at doing it, and then I have days when I just don't understand it.

• Requires no athletic ability

A scout could go to a chubby kids baseball game and say he is a good pitcher and "athlete", but if that same kid plays soccer and there is a scout, he wouldn't last the whole 90 minutes and wouldn't get the same praise. This is because it requires not a lot of practice to be a good thrower as opposed to knowing, practicing and working out in order to know how to dribble, have stamina, strength and co-ordination in a sport like soccer. There is not much practice you can do in baseball except throwing a ball at a tree, playing catch or hitting a ball for several hours in a GAME like baseball.