• Yes it's a choice

Gay is a choice, because nature is not the only variable at work here. Nurture is equally as crucial to our development as an individual. There is nothing wrong with being gay, but not all homosexuals are born that way. Gay parents raise gay children, liberal societies encourage it, and Obama demands it. All of these are strong indicators that nurture overwhelmingly controls our fate more than nature.

• It depends on how you define being gay

Even if gay people can never stop being attracted to members of the same sex, they can learn not to act on their desires.

People already learn to stop smoking, to give up certain foods, and not cheat on their husbands or wives.

If we define being gay as engaging in homosexual behavior (the concept of “gay” as an identity is a Western cultural concept – people who have sex with both men and women may call themselves gay, straight or bisexual, depending on the rules of their culture or subculture), then people stop being gay as soon as they stop engaging in this behavior.

Should they stop?

If they could, should they change their brains (or have their brains changed) in order to make themselves straight?

I believe that people have the right to engage in any behavior that they choose, as long as their actions do not harm others, and I believe that gay sex and gay relationships do not cause harm to anyone. Therefore, people who are gay by choice have the right to remain that way

(Of course, there are abusive and unhealthy gay relationships that should not be tolerated, just as there are unhealthy heterosexual relationships that should not be tolerated.)

If sexual preference can be altered, then people who support gay rights can’t rely on the argument that gay people should be protected from discrimination because gay people have no choice but to be gay – an argument that seems like an apology for homosexuality, as if homosexuality is a disease for which there is no cure.

There is an element of homophobia in that argument– the implication that gay people would become straight, if only they could. Supporting gay marriage becomes equivalent to supporting the construction of wheelchair ramps. The “gays can’t help being that way” approach is reminiscent of the old view of homosexuality as a psychiatric illness.

• Human Beings Have Choice.

Although our experiences, and society, play major rolls in who we are and how we function, the bottom line is; we can choose to be otherwise. For the same reasons that being overweight is largely the responsibility of the person who carries it, being gay is the responsibility of the person who holds that sexual conception.

Our parents may have played a roll, Genetics may play a role, Society may play a roll, but the final decision will rest on the shoulders of the individual.

Those that deny choice, will argue that some things are unchangeable, that some things within the abstract construct of their mind is absolute, and immovable.

Those that argue such a claims, are not open to the idea of change, and are therefore correct in a way. What they are saying is that THEY will never change, that THEY have already made a choice, and NOTHING will change their mind.

• "because we say so" is not compelling evidence

If the question was asked "does God exist" and everyone responds "Yes! Because I just know in my heart that He does" would that be an impressive argument? Appealing to the personal testimony of various members of the LBGT community is just as convincing. If you want me to believe you were born gay you better have some evidence other than "because I say so". Especially when we can find multiple people who give an equally valid testimony that they really were gay and then got married and had kids in a faithful and happy heterosexual relationship. The fact is that there is zero concrete, empiracal evidence for people being "born gay" in an age where we can clone sheep and send men to the moon. If there is no actual reason to believe it.... Besides "because we say so" im not drinking the koolaid

• Choose to be shunned? I think not...

While no scientist or pathologist has officially discerned that there is a gene or a trait which determines whether or not someone is gay, no human being would ever in their right minds "decide" to be gay when that means that they get ostracized by their families, kicked out of churches, and in some extreme cases, violently assaulted. Again, our sexual organs are built as lock and key, metaphorically speaking, but that doesn't mean that an innately forming means of population control cannot exist. Sexuality really is innate. If heterosexuals didn't decide to straight, then homosexuals didn't decide to be gay either. I believe people just have a problem with homosexuality because A) they are afraid of it, B) do not understand it thoroughly, C) are not thinking of the situation from shoes other than their own, and possibly D) their sexuality is threatened by the thought of two people of the same gender enjoying each other's body's.

• I'm gay and didn't choose it

Why would I ever choose to have people hate me for who I am. When I was in middle school I was really confused about my sexuality. I thought I had a crush on a girl in my class when I was in kindergarten, but that's what I believed from what I was told a crush was. When I was in 5th and grade and started to go through puberty that's when I became fully aware I was different and started developing actually crushes on other guys, and I hated myself for it. It took me 4 and half years to accept I was gay, even though I had parents who accepted homosexuals, I still couldn't come to terms with it because of the things I heard my classmates say about people like me. It made me start thinking about suicide and go through a deep depression. Anyways, my point is use common sense. Why would anybody choose to have their love ones, friends, and their community hate them for who they are.

• I'm gay and didn't choose it

I never ever would choose to be gay. When I was in middle school I was very confused about my sexuality. I thought I had a crush on a girl when I was in kindergarten from what I heard what a crush was, but I realize I didn't know what a crush was until I started to go through puberty in 5th grade and start developing crushes and sexual attractions towards guys. That's when I started to become more aware I was different and I hated myself for it. It took me 4 and a half years to accept I was gay. Even though I had parents who were supporting of homosexuals, I still couldn't accept myself from the stuff I heard kids in my class say about people like me. My point is have some common sense. Why would anybody choose to have their loved ones, peers, and

• It's not a choice

Let be honest, who on earth would be gay if it is a choice. In some Muslim countries gay will be stoned to death. Would anyone go ahead and "choose" to be gay so that they will be stoned to death. Being gay is not something that we can decide.

• Wanna see me prove it?

Alright, here we go. Hard, undeniable evidence that it is not a choice. I'm straight, and can't be gay. Need clarification on what that means? Well, I am completely, 100% inable to be gay. I can try, I can try really hard, but it's not a decision, or something I have to commit to like becoming a vegetarian. Is it because I lack motivation? No. I would love to be gay, no figuring out how women work, because I know how I work. It would be way easier. But, I'm not gay and can never be gay. It's literally that simple.

• Than all sexual attraction would be a choice.

Remember the last time you saw something sexually attractive, but then decided to just click that switch in your brain and went "aah, that's better, now to go on with my day". No? Than homosexuality is not a choice. Yes? Then you are either a minority, or a liar trying to bolster your beliefs

• Coming from a gay person...

Right off the bat, I just want to say that I don't ever remember CHOOSING to be gay. Now, give me one reason why in the LIVING HELL I would ever CHOOSE to be gay??!! With everything that I went through/still am going through, what with coming out, and worrying whether or not I'll be able to get married? I'm fricking 14 years old!! I remember having to explain to my parents that I've been having crushes on girls since Preschool. Never once in my life have I EVER felt attracted to a male.

Now, you might say that it could have something to do with upbringing, or that it's a learned behavior. I can tell you right now that my two siblings aren't gay, and they've been brought up in the same house, by the same parents, and have even attended the same schools as me.

To the person in the "Yes" category that states that we should be able to "learn not to act on our desires"... You have my pity, because you sir, are extremely ignorant (or at least that's what your comment would suggest you are, not to say that you are or aren't). What if somebody told you that you needed to suppress your heterosexual ways, and stop blushing whenever (let's say you're male) some really hot girl smiles at you? Or told you that you could only date men? Think about how gross you would feel if you weren't attracted to men at all, but you still had to kiss a man because it would gross OTHER people out to kiss who you wanted to kiss? I'm sorry, but I can't learn to simply not act on my desires because that's not a natural thing to do, and because it would feel like a mental prison cell.

Another thing-- Homosexuality exists in over 450 species. So, in saying that, why would an animal choose to be homosexual? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on animal behavior or anything, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there would be any real reason for animal to choose to be homosexual. As far as I know (and if I sound like an idiot in saying this, correct me), an animal's first instinct is survival, and the only possible way "love" could benefit survival is through procreation. So again, there's no real reason for wild animals to "choose" homosexuality over heterosexuality.

One last thing; If you're straight, and you think homosexuality is a choice, then please tell me all about that day where you woke up one morning and decided that you were officially straight.

• My logic behind this

Being gay just recently started to be considered "okay". Before, if you were discovered to be a homosexual, you were severely punished by society and were totally put to shame, yet people have been gay even before the 1900's.

Take Tchaikovsky for example. Tchaikovsky (in case you didn't know) was a Russian composer who's symphonies are still popular now. He was born in 1840 and yes he was indeed gay. He died in 1893, arguably from suicide due to being a homosexual.

People have been gay for centuries, even when penalties were death. Who would anyone, originally being straight, in their right minds CHOOSE to be gay when they would have been shamed for the rest of their life and even, in some cases, be put to death?

• No it is not.

Being gay is not a choice, that is saying that we have a choice in anything we feel, and we do not. It is just how we feel, there does not need to be anymore to it. If someone loves another person does it really matter what gender they are?

• No it"s not!!!!!!!!

Homophobic people are actually closet dwellers! Since when YOU choose to be STRAIGHT?! If we "all" honestly were "straight", we would've been HETEROsapiens, not HOMOsapiens! I guess LGBT people are more human than you might think! Honestly, I just don't get why people hate people. Can we just love each other?!

endorb says2014-07-04T05:21:52.313
So both of the Yes are saying that either "being gay" is homosexual acts or basically going "forced dramatic events"