• Religion is simply the illusion of knowledge

Almost impossible to convince them otherwise. Indoctrination is a powerful tool, akin to brainwashing, it has it's roots in natural selection in which it was advantageous to blindly follow the views and advice of those older then us from an early age.

Religion does not keep pace with time like science, it's beliefs are simply outdated myths written many many years ago by desert dwelling peasants with no way to explain the natural world other then claiming "god did it". Other lesser known religions follow this same closed-minded ideology.

People wish to believe in a god as they believe it gives them a purpose, a meaning, a place in the big old scary universe. Well just remember one thing, the universe doesn't owe you anything, it simply is and we just dance to it's music.

Take heart, we are a way for the universe to appreciate itself. We are not simply in the universe, we are the universe itself. Our bodies are literally star stuff. More beautiful then believing in the bearded man in the sky.

• Yes if one believes God DEFINITELY exists.

Well I am an agnostic but I think people who believe 100% in one very specifically defined God without any evidence is delusional. It would only be rationale to believe in the possibility that one or more entities may or may not have created the universe and the entity or entities may or may not still be involved in our universe after its creation. Furthermore, to believe in a human-centered God which most of the popular religious scriptures seem to suggest is even more delusional when scientific evidence proves that humans are only a very very very...... Small part of the universe, both in terms time and space.

• The Definition of Delusion Fits

Although there may not be evidence that can disprove gods, there is absolutely no evidence that supports the existence of gods. Further more, when you examine the religious texts associated with a particular god, then it's obvious that the extraordinary claims are in conflict with scientific knowledge. To deny this knowledge obtained through the scientific method in favor of a fantasy makes one delusional. Whether it's an illogical belief particular to one individual or a belief shared by billions, there is a denial of reality taking place.

• No it's quite simple

Stop right there you arrogant bastard . You do realize that believing God mean evidence ? Not poetry from a book that try's to relate to science such as claiming "let there be light" basically sounds like the Big Bang therefore it's true . That's inductive reasoning and the person who made up the theory to be a pastor GOD real?(there were lots of people who made the theory he was just credited ). Again learn what deductive reasoning is opposed to inductive and then realize you are just saying God is real because everyone around you does to . Explain why the other 700000 religions should not be taken serious or why they're "all connected as one" . You just have to think about how stupid and arrogant you are . Am I hurting your feelings ! I'll go grab my bible for my morals and start stoning gays and hate everyone who doesn't believe a god Lol idiots

• It is arrogant at best to believe in a God based on the view of man.

There is no proof, not one single example of divine intervention etc it comes down to I believe of I do not believe. No credibility should be granted to Religion beyond a local custom, man created GOD and uses it in an attempt to get money and control of others

• Evidence Of Absence

Absolute demonstrable truth..
    ALL people who believe in religion are suffering from psychological and or emotional problems on a sliding scale from little problems, up to monumentally serious ones.
    The more fervently, unquestioningly and fanatically they believe, the deeper those problems are.. And the more harm they do...
    Mild belief that has reason attached is tolerable. Unquestioning, blind faith or belief, is not. Because this blind faith, is exactly what caused many of the horrors that have happened in history and still go on in the world today..

If a faith can be said to be true or justifiable just on the grounds of one or even many people's decision to believe in it, then ANY faith is justifiable.
    That is why it is not acceptable.
    If a person says.. I have faith god wants me to shoot children then you have to agree with that being OK too.
    Religious people cannot seem to understand this.
    You cannot claim one single solitary thing as evidence of god, that isn't explained more fully by science and reason or one that you can demonstrate upon request.
    And if you accept one god as real on the evidence you accept for your own, then you MUST accept all of them.
    They all have as much evidence for existence as yours does..

• Evidence Of Absence

Absolute demonstrable truth..

That is why it is not acceptable.

• Not at all

What is delusional is looking at everything around us and thinking it all happened by random chance. How could everything we know have just come in existence from nothing? Everything has to have a cause, even the universe. There are also a numbers of reasons why the universe could not have simply always existed. The fact that God created it explains this quite well.

• No

As someone who is both a devout (not fundamentalist) Christian and a devout believer in science I can say without hesitation that it's not a "delusion." 'My' God, 'their' God or any God or deity cannot be disproved, thus, it can exist. Atheists too easily say "Nope no higher power: fact" like children without thinking that science will never be able to prove that a deity does not exist. And yes, it goes the other way as well, it also cannot be proven.

See it like this: a type of microscopic fish or bacteria living in the deepest parts of the ocean, under a rock, will likely never, or for hundreds/thousands of generations, come into contact with human beings. Thus, their Atheists can parade around shouting it's fact that no "god" (i.e. humans) exist while the "delusional" "humanians" bacteria believe they do. The bacteria is too stupid and does not have the mental power to even come close to proving anything.

Thus, it's completely irrational to think that just because we are humans, we can know everything. What makes humans special? Sure, we dominate the planet, but that's about it. We're just another species with our own limitations.

• No, it's perfectly rational.

I'm personally not the most religious person, and believe in evolution. But, I think that it's not delusional to believe in a higher power, or "God". I'm a wiccan, but I do believe in science. Science can't explain everything, so why is there no such thing as a god? Nothing has power unless you give it power. So, in by believing in a God we give that God power, and it's not delusional to believe in something that has a meaning to us. Is it delusional for a little kid to have a security blanket, or having an imaginary friend?

• Abstract Musings About Dimension

Why is gravity? Can an evolutionist explain that? Where did matter come from? How did the different dimensions come into being? It's my belief that God not only created the sun, moon, planets, stars, and everything on them, but also space, time, and all the other dimensions that we can't even name, let alone understand. The complexity of the mathematics of the solar system and universe are far too complicated for any explosion to have engineered. Besides, since when has a nuclear bomb ever created a Porsche? Explosions don't create, they only destroy. More astounding than the universe even, is the human body. An entire blueprint for the human body is carried in each of the little cells, whose membranes are so astronomically complex that entire college courses could be taught on them. I'm not even going to go into the brain. That's out of my league. If you've ever experimented with robotics, though, you'd know that it's terribly hard to design a robot that does what you want it too. Even the world's top robotics engineers, who can barely scratch the surface of creating a replica of the human muscle and skeletal systems, fall short. There's no way that anyone will ever be able to create a robotic replica of the human body minus the brain, because there's just too many complicated organ systems that perform too many intricate tasks to fit into one human sized space. If we can't do it, how could chance find a way, even over zillions of years? A great analogy that you might have heard is this: Two brothers are lounging in their mother's womb when one asks the other, "Hey brother, do you believe in Mom or a life after birth?" The other answers, "Nah, I'm an Atheist. I mean, have you ever seen Mom?" The point of this is that evidence for God's existence is all around us. To not believe is to deny that the world exists. I know that's a generalization and a bit unfounded. Just my personal opinion.

• Not at all.

While some people (not all) like to really rely on science, it can't prove everything. Regardless on if they are religious or not. And while science seems to explain things like HOW emotions happen, they haven't been able to explain why they happen/why we have them. And with emotions being so intermingled in religion...it's hard to understand in a 'logical' point of view. Especially with them being so different and well, you don't need emotion at all for logic.

• Not at all.

Belief in God requires a deep faith. However, once you have that faith, you can see God's hand in your life everywhere. Believing in God is no more a delusion than believing that my husband loves me. I can't see his love, but I feel and see the results of it in my daily life, just like God's presence.

• "If you talk to God it's religion. If God talks to you it's psychosis". House MD.

As an atheist I don't believe in God, but mainstream religions have been embedded our cultural milieu for millennia so a non-bizarre belief in God, whilst irrational in my view, is not, by definition, delusional.

People suffering from psychosis will experience a range of unusual symptoms as well as delusions that most people with religious views don't. The only psychiatric disorder that arguably mirrors a belief in God is Delusional Disorder but the difference here is that the person suffering from this condition will develop an irrational belief or set of beliefs that they did not believe in before the onset of the disorder.

Further, most people who hold delusions are distressed by them unlike people who believe in God. And even with grandiose delusions, which can be pleasant for the holder, there is usually a decline in social functioning caused by the delusional belief, which, again, does not occur with people who believe in God (usually).

• No it's quite simple

• How can God possibly be a delusion??

First of all. We have evidence all around us of Gods existence, just because you cant see him does not mean he is not there. Secondly, God is the most powerful and everlasting, if you were to ask him to physically SHOW himself to you, believe me you will die. That is one reason why he spoke to Moses through the burning bush. Its not an emotional thing, its the truth. The spirit is the truth, not the flesh. The reason why many conclude there is no God is because the evidence they find on earth is hidden. Yes many of you think of him as an excuse for something we dont understand happened. But natural things cant come from nothing, earth cannot possibly form by itself from the simplest substances. If there was nothing, COMPLETLEY NOTHING, and just earth formed, out of all planets formed and had humans in it, animals, and beauty, I think we are not the ones being delusional.

• Nope it is not

We humans know VERY little when you think about it. In the scientific realm, there is really no way to prove or disprove that God exists, so at the most one can really only be agnostic about it instead of just flat athiest, that in itself is not very scientific, not being open to theories like that. But yet, scientists can be fully open to theories such as the Big Bang and so forth, in which they have as much 'little or no physical evidence' that it actually happened as they do with the existence of a supreme being. It's sort of like ghosts or aliens, some people will flat out disbelieve they exist, but really, can you prove they don't exist? No you can't. What it all Bulls down to is atheism trying to demote God because he is so highly thought of and believed in by around 4 billion of the worlds people. That is very discouraging for the atheistic and scientific community.