• The Plight of the Oppressed

Bob Marley's music will never die, because, it speaks to the majority of the human experience; oppression, under-privilege, subjugation, disenfranchisement, relegation, predatory practices, etc. And, it's encoded in English; the dominant language of global mass-media.

To compare Bob Marley to the likes of The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc. is simply a joke. Anyone who draws such comparisons is ignorant of humanity's plight and the true reach of Bob Marley. None of those well-respected/accomplished artists are even in the same league with respect to commenting on the plight of humanity. They made POP. Bob Marley's brand of Reggae is NOT POP. Reggae is spiritual, regardless of your creed. Perhaps this is why the Japanese all but worship Reggae, and, in particular: Bob Marley.

There are those who say the other luminaries of all-time have made socially-aware songs, however, it was not their speciality. Bob Marley's entire breadth of work centers on human struggle, and, it is encoded in simple English, with the simple, but infectious and timeless Reggae rhythms.

There are those who use frivolous arguments such as: number of records sold. This is a joke argument. Bob Marley's music and its appreciation can be likened to a marathon compared to the sprint of others; it simply ages gracefully with time and never loses relevance. Centuries from now, Bob Marley's name and music will continue to play as it is human nature to subjugate other humans, which calls for the likes of Marley.

Another argument is that Bob Marley's production level didn't match that of the other luminaries: Beatles, Elvis, etc. This misses the essence of his message entirely. With Bob, we don't care about the backing band or the I-Threes, or anything else other than the lyrics which are based on sacred texts and will always apply to our condition as humans.

In 20th century popular music, Bob Marley's work is the closest thing humanity has produced, encoded in English, that draws directly from sacred texts. Again, it could have been any sacred text, but, that his work is drawn from sacred texts, more so than any other artist, it cannot be compared, and is why it stands the test of time.

So, wherever you are in the world, when drawing comparisons to Bob Marley, exclude him from the lightweight contributions of POP artists: Elvis, Beatles, etc. Their music is lightweight, POP.

I mean, who even listens to those artists anymore. I was born in the 1970s and can't name any of their tunes. I know more about The Beatles' civil rights work than their music. I also know that if you travel the majority of the oppressed world, as I have, that Bob Marley has god-like status.

Proper associations for Bob Marley are among the great Classical Masters. Otherwise, go do some research on the plight of the majority of the world, and then you will realize that insofar as the 20th century is concerned, there isn't a comparable artist/group to the great, Honourable, Robert Nesta Marley.

• Yes! He's The Best!

The best in the whole world!!! Just listen to The Legends album, and you will know what I am talking about! Just google "Bob Marley's the Legends album and listen.

• Yes! He's The Best!

• Best in the sense of positive impact!!!!!!

Well u can say michael jackson or beattles are the greatest but if you look what they used there position or stardom to really promote... As for bob marley idk his music can change the negative to positive real quick..An his quotes and lyrics will live on forever..Timeless 5 years olds to 100 year old is always down for some bob marley music

• The best musician of all time.

Bob Marley in my opinion is just awesome, ok. His music has touched the hearts of the world and I think he has the best story of becoming "The best artist of all time" ,from coming from a little middle of nowhere in Kingston, Jamaica to the the best artist ever to live.

• The best musician of all time.

• The best musician of all time.

• The best musician of all time.

• The best musician of all time.

• Head and shoulders above the rest.

Among the many amazing things about Bob's music, to me the greatest is that is had no boundaries or limitations to who it could reach and who it could inspire. Marley has inspired country artists, jazz artists, folk artist, reggae artists, funk artists, rap and hip-hop artists, R & B artists, Rock and Roll artists, DJs, among many others. This is something that very few names if any can be associated with.

Another reason he is the greatest is that no artist can come close to the raw emotions Marley portrayed because as he was rising in stardom, he was still in the middle of a major political war in his country and even had an assassination attempt on his life. So all of those REAL emotions went into the music making it that much more powerful. Marley always kept the music PURE though, and I applaud that.

There have been many amazing artists over time, I believe all the truly good artists have come and past, but Marley sits at the top in my book. His music will literally play on forever and his name will never be forgotten, because LEGENDS never die!

I thank you Bob! Thank you for your courage, your passion, your REALNESS, your boldness, your music, thank you for being a REAL leader. RIP

• Almost as overrated as the Beatles

Granted he is the greatest reggae artist(considering the only other person even worth mentioning in any reggae fontext would be peter tosh) of all time. IMO only like 10 of his songs are worth putting on your mp3 player. I would say system of a down, nirvana, queen and even freakin van halen are better bands w/ more good songs. Also most of his popularity today is because a marley shirt poster or playing a song is an in vogue way to say you like to smoke weed.

• No, He Was One of the Greatest

Bob Marley certainly was an icon, but he can't be considered the greatest artist of all time. Nobody can have that title. Can you compare Marley with Elvis or The Beatles? Not really. To do so diminishes the valuable contribution those artists made to global culture. Still, the messages his songs offered will endure for some time to come.

Posted by: rpr
  • No, he is not the greatest artist of all time.

Bob Marley does have some really great songs that everyone will remember and he is a very well known reggae artist. Bob Marley is still popular. But he is no where near the greatest artist of all time. I can't even say that he is the greatest reggae artist of all time.

• He Is Not The Greatest

Bob Marley was a great artist, but I do not think he was the greatest artist of all time. He was and still is the greatest reggae artist, but there are artist in different genres that were and are better than he is. If someone was to say he is better than Michael Jackson I would look at them like they are crazy.

• It's all a matter of taste

I am not saying Bob Marley was not a great artist, and he definitely is one of the best. But, that is as far as I am willing to take it. There really is no "greatest" artist of all time, in my eyes. The best artist ever is really who the person says it is.

• A Great but not the greatest

I cannot even begin to fathom this argument. To some people Bob Marley might be the greatest of all-time but there are so many musicians who contributed more to the canon that you can't call Marley the greatest. Certainly he was an accomplished musician and songwriter who did a lot of good for his people. He is not, however, the greatest artist of all-time.

Posted by: pdrm
  • Not the best but up there

He is definitely a great songwriter, and I think he is an amazing artist, but not number 1. He made great music that goes right to your soul and has a political message, but not as much compared to other legends such as Bob Dylan and Elvis. Not number 1 but amazing still.

• Not the greatest.

Marley is certainly one of the bigger reggae musicians but definitely not the greatest reggae musician of all time. Reggae artists like Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Ijahman Levi, Max Romeo were & are by far miles ahead. But because Bob's music was more exposed that these artists - it will seem as if he was the greatest,.