• Bowling is a Sport. Proven.

Who are these people, that disagree, to tell me what is and what isn't a sport with little to no information? If people look up the term "sport" online, it will say "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Bowling involves physical exertion of which is rolling the 14 to 16 pound bowling ball with a certain speed (which ranges from 15-18mph), certain angle, certain loft behind it, and certain rotation on the bowling ball. Let's also not rule out the amount of games a bowler is willing to go. As well, many can argue that chess and video games have teams and competition like bowling does. But if you want to compare bowling with those subjects, then why not compare chess teams and competitions with basketball, or football, that also involves teams and competition as well? And last thing, if bowling was such an "easy sport" as some say, then everyone would be doing it right?

• It Is a sport

Bowling is not just about grabing a ball and throwing it down a lane. Its involes many teqniques and skills. You have to use body and eye cordination to get the ball to hit the "Pocket" in order for you to get a strike. You have to use your brain to figure out where you need to throw your ball and wher eit needs to hit in order to pick up other pin and your splits and what not.

• Bowling is a Sport, here's why.

In the dictionary, sport is defined as: "An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature". Using simply this definition, bowling is a sport. A large amount of skill is required for one to be able to consistently bowl well. Bowling is also extremely competitive. As many arguments say, bowling is a "Family activity" and non-competitive. That is completely false. Even if people bowl as a family, in the end it's always "Ha, I beat you!". Likewise, there are organized bowling leagues, in which TEAMS of about 4 people COMPETE against each other. Apart from this, there are also High School and College bowling associations all across the US. One quick search of "Profession Bowling" brings up the PBA (Professional Bowling Association). Professional bowling airs on ESPN (Entertainment and SPORTS Programming Network).

Many posts on this page saying that bowling is not a sport, claim that it is a game, and there is little to no physical activity apart from throwing a 16 pound ball. One could argue the same for Basketball, which is nearly universally regarded as a sport. The only physical activity is running back and forth. It's still a basketball GAME. Basketball is a game and a sport, so why not bowling? Basketball players run nearly 2.27 miles per "game". Bowling matches are generally 2-3 games of bowling, which translates to roughly a mile of walking. Though 2.27 is larger than 1, bowling certainly makes up for that with the 16 pound bowling ball, compared to the 0.125 pound basketball. It's also worth noting that serious bowlers throw the ball roughly 15-18 MPH. The lane is 60 feet, and the ball is usually 16 pounds. You do the math, its much more activity than you think.

A third, and honestly stupid argument I have read on here is that bowling is not a sport because it is "boring". The logic behind this is preposterous. I believe basketball is boring, yet that doesn't mean it's not a sport. If one believes To Kill a Mockingbird is boring, does that make it no longer a book? Saying that one hates bowling because they are bad and therefore it is not a sport is just as idiotic. Anyone can say they hate something, but their opinion on it does not affect the definition.

Finally, the best point i've seen against bowling is that sports require there to be an opposition to gain points, such as defense in football. For those thinking this, I turn your attention to golf. Right off the bat, golf has been an Olympic sport for nearly 100 years, so there should be little argument against it being a sport. In golf there is no defense, yet golfers still play against each other for "free points". You may be thinking "Yeah but golf has wind and trees and water, so that's basically a defense." Bowling also has conditions. The lanes have oil on them, and this effects how the ball reacts.

• Bowling is a sport.

Bowling is an awesome game, yes there is video games out there that support bowling as just a game you play. But its not like that at all. I am 12 years old, I have bowled for about three years. Let me tell you a little bit about what I do, but when you play football can you get a scholarship for that? Yes, but very unlikely, with bowling I've known seniors that have won over 80,000 dollars and are getting offered by lots of colleges to come there. Me, personally I have only been bowling for a little over 2 years, but I love it. If you say no, think of this, do you go to tournaments for basketball? Sometimes. Do you go pro for softball? Very unlikely. Do you get to travel around the world for cheer? Not at all. These are questions you need to ask yourself. For bowling yes you just have to throw the ball down the lane, but it is not like that if you are this good. You need the right weight of bowling ball that is not a house ball, a good amount of muscles, a sliding bowling shoe that is not a rental, you need rev rate, ball speed, foot work, the ability to pick up spares, and most of all, you need to believe that this is a sport, because it sure as hell is. I could go on and on about everything I know about bowling but then you would not read this because it is too long. Trust me when I say this, bowling is a god damn sport.

• Just don't understand the game

People who think its not just don't understand the game and how to play . Don't understand how much goes into . It is a lot of deferent variables that goes into the sport of bowling . I can walk on the court hit a few shots but can I drop 20 a night . That's the same as a person get a 200 do that mean they can even avg a 180 .

• Most Defiantly a Sport.

Bowling a sport for many reasons. One of them being that it requires physical activity, has competition, requires special equipment, a special place to play, has professionals,uses balls, and is televised. It also has rules and regulations like any other game. It requires skills too, while most people say its luck. I have bowled since I was 2 years old in a league, and have learned many techniques and acquired many skills. And just because its not in the Olympics means nothing. There are many sports that are not in the Olympics. And while I could keep naming more reasons Ill stop here.

• Its a sport

Bowling is the hardest sport to deal with mentally. If you have a good mental game you will go far .You have to have good balance ,leg strength, and posture to have a goood delivery. You fuckers who say its not a sport. Tell me why I work out to stay in shape. Tell me why i practice. If its not a sport lets see you guys throw a 15lb ball almost 20 mph for 8 games.

• Bowling Is A Sport

I have been bowling for 14 years and people tell me that bowling is not a sport but technically it is. A definition of a sport is involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against one another or others for entertainment. When you bowl all of your major muscles are being used when you throw the bowling ball. Even more so when you are bowling all of your major body muscles are being used. When you bowl league yes it is fun and games but you still have competitive people and the people that are there just for fun but you still have teams bowling against one another . Lastly I see Professional Bowling on TV just like basketball, soccer, baseball, softball, and Tennis.

• Its a sport if you believe it is

Reason why is because youre playing against the other team and you have to try and win. Its not about physical work, its about sportsmanship. But people are saying gaming is a sport... People have their own opinions and some are wrong. Ask any famous person in the world, guarantee they will take it serious. Bowling is a sport, but to everyone... If its not a sport, why is it shown on ESPN? IO rest my case

• Ask any bowler that has bowled for more than 3 years

Bowling takes a lot of physical exertion to bowl. Especially with balls up to 16 pounds. If nobody thinks bowling is a sport they should go down and go bowling all day long go sit in a bowling alley go bowl for 6 hours and then after that you'll come on this website and you say bowling is still not a sport because for a boiler that is pulled for 3 plus years it is no doubt in my mind it is definitely a sport

• Obviously not a sport - just a game

First, I give credit that you need very good skills to play the game of bowling consistently well. I like bowling and it's fun.

But saying that, when you can be completely out of shape and still bowl a perfect game, the peak achievement of the "sport", it's embarrassing to call that a sport. Please do not ever say it's a sport because of a 16lb ball (way less then 10% most bowlers body weight). Just don't. Even so, if someone can still bowl a perfect game with a lighter ball, that makes it even more embarrassing to make the argument that the ball is heavy. A skinny 10 year old boy has bowled a perfect game! Is he that much stronger and more athlete than you? And for god's sake, this is a game with no variables either. It's you, a flat lane and the same number of pins all the time.

• Lmao not a sport, its a game

At this rate every game is being referred to as a sport from video games to bowling. A real sport is a war against the opponent, an effort a physical and mental one requiring training and hard work. Where as in games like bowling the objective is to get a high score and/or beat other high scores. Yes, bowling has team competitions but once again the objective is to beat the other's free attempt at doing so. Where in real sports its a fight for the score, no free shots. Yes your job is to get score, but you fight to keep the opponent from scoring and you fight to try to score. Real competition. You win not just because you scored more but because you proved you can get past the opponent and while not letting them pass you, You actually win, they could not beat YOU. In games people beat your SCORE.

• Not a sport

During bowling you do not need nearly any physical strength or ability. Bowling is a recreational activity a game a hobby not a sport. Sports not to involve running and perspiration from physical activity. It may take skill but there is not nearly enough physical activity. That is why bowling is not a sport.

• Why are people still debating this issue?

If you can smoke and drink while competing in it, and it doesn't negatively impact your performance, it is not a sport. The only people who argue that is a sport are those who are serious about it.

There is not enough physical activity involved to be classified as a sport.

• It's not athletic

Literally all you do in bowling is roll a heavy ball, and pick up a new ball. Sure, there are competitions, and teams, but the same can be said of LOL or chess. It has very little physical exertion; it is certainly not a sport, in any meaning of the word.

• Bowling is not a sport

Bowling is not a sport. It is an activity, hobby, or a game. It requires almost no physical exertion; the most being carrying a rather heavy ball (up to 16 lbs.) a few steps, then rolling it. It may require skill, but so do crafts, board games, and other HOBBIES. It's not a sport.

• Bowling is not a sport

Bowling is more like an activity or a game. The only physical exertion is carrying a ball that is only up to 16 lbs., walking a few step, and ROLLING (not even throwing) it. It may require skill but so does jewelry making or any board-game, both of which most people consider activities or hobbies.

• Not a Sport

It may require skill. There may be competitions, but bowling is a game, not a sport. If you think about it, there is nothing physical about the sport, except you carry a heavy ball.

You don't need to be physically fit to play bowling, whether you are a pro or ametuer.

• No. Just no.

Just no. Boring. I don't think this is a sport, it sucks, nothing to do with it, I hate it.

• LMAO no way tf