• It is a sport

Well ya see, it’s in wii sports and is in the Olympics so I mean yea, if you don’t think it is, I guess ur just wrong and need to fact check it. I need a few more words for this argument so, hail trump and make America great again.

• Yes it is.

Bowling should be considered a sport by everyone because it is in Wii sports. It was also in chuck e. Cheese sports games. If that doesnt let you know that bowling is a sport, than I don’t know what to tell you. I have nothing else to add. Good day

• This is a sport, I know because it is my passion and what I have been doing since I was five years old.

It takes more than just passion, bowling does take some skill and this does require some workout skills, people say it doesn't give what football gives that you don't have to work to do this, you do this is something that helps build your mind and how your body works. People who say you don't need physical ability are wrong you do, you need to know how to throw the ball which can be physical and you also have to know the lane conditions and more, this may seem easy but when u are a real bowler and do as much as we do then come talk saying it is not a sport, you are wrong bowling is a sport. Yes I have been doing this since I was five and I'm now seventeen, but age doesn't matter you still need the same skill to do it and the weight of a ball does matter because that weight counts as a counterbalance to what you are doing, we have more equiptment then any other sport, you may not think we do, but when you see someone carrying so many bags it is for a reason everything we carry has a role in what we do. Doing tournaments is a big part of this being a sport if u went to one which I have been to which is called national Junior gold bowling you would see how competitive this is and how many people do this , this tournament brings children and bowlers from all fifty states and Canada plus Puerto Rico, and I dare you to tell any of us real bowlers it is not a sport when we have coaches and have to work just as hard as any other sport and practice as much as any other sport, heck even sometimes more to do what we do, therefore Bowling is A SPORT thank you.

• The real question: what's a sport?

A sport is when you are burning calaries or having fun with friends. You cna consider many things a sport or a SPOFF. If your going to play a sport your going to be working out in disguise. Bowling makes metabolism faster and makes you lose weight in the long run.

• The real question: what's a sport?

• It is a Sport!!!

There are ALOT of different variables and techniques involved in bowling it's significantly harder to be a good consistent bowler then it is to be a good football or basketball player in bowling you have to have your timing on everything perfect or else you will mess up bowling is harder then most other sports because of all the factors that play different roles whoever says bowling is not a sport just doesn't know the skill it takes.

• Bowling is a Sport. Proven.

Who are these people, that disagree, to tell me what is and what isn't a sport with little to no information? If people look up the term "sport" online, it will say "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Bowling involves physical exertion of which is rolling the 14 to 16 pound bowling ball with a certain speed (which ranges from 15-18mph), certain angle, certain loft behind it, and certain rotation on the bowling ball. Let's also not rule out the amount of games a bowler is willing to go. As well, many can argue that chess and video games have teams and competition like bowling does. But if you want to compare bowling with those subjects, then why not compare chess teams and competitions with basketball, or football, that also involves teams and competition as well? And last thing, if bowling was such an "easy sport" as some say, then everyone would be doing it right?

• It Is a sport

Bowling is not just about grabing a ball and throwing it down a lane. Its involes many teqniques and skills. You have to use body and eye cordination to get the ball to hit the "Pocket" in order for you to get a strike. You have to use your brain to figure out where you need to throw your ball and wher eit needs to hit in order to pick up other pin and your splits and what not.

• Bowling is a Sport, here's why.

In the dictionary, sport is defined as: "An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature". Using simply this definition, bowling is a sport. A large amount of skill is required for one to be able to consistently bowl well. Bowling is also extremely competitive. As many arguments say, bowling is a "Family activity" and non-competitive. That is completely false. Even if people bowl as a family, in the end it's always "Ha, I beat you!". Likewise, there are organized bowling leagues, in which TEAMS of about 4 people COMPETE against each other. Apart from this, there are also High School and College bowling associations all across the US. One quick search of "Profession Bowling" brings up the PBA (Professional Bowling Association). Professional bowling airs on ESPN (Entertainment and SPORTS Programming Network).

Many posts on this page saying that bowling is not a sport, claim that it is a game, and there is little to no physical activity apart from throwing a 16 pound ball. One could argue the same for Basketball, which is nearly universally regarded as a sport. The only physical activity is running back and forth. It's still a basketball GAME. Basketball is a game and a sport, so why not bowling? Basketball players run nearly 2.27 miles per "game". Bowling matches are generally 2-3 games of bowling, which translates to roughly a mile of walking. Though 2.27 is larger than 1, bowling certainly makes up for that with the 16 pound bowling ball, compared to the 0.125 pound basketball. It's also worth noting that serious bowlers throw the ball roughly 15-18 MPH. The lane is 60 feet, and the ball is usually 16 pounds. You do the math, its much more activity than you think.

A third, and honestly stupid argument I have read on here is that bowling is not a sport because it is "boring". The logic behind this is preposterous. I believe basketball is boring, yet that doesn't mean it's not a sport. If one believes To Kill a Mockingbird is boring, does that make it no longer a book? Saying that one hates bowling because they are bad and therefore it is not a sport is just as idiotic. Anyone can say they hate something, but their opinion on it does not affect the definition.

Finally, the best point i've seen against bowling is that sports require there to be an opposition to gain points, such as defense in football. For those thinking this, I turn your attention to golf. Right off the bat, golf has been an Olympic sport for nearly 100 years, so there should be little argument against it being a sport. In golf there is no defense, yet golfers still play against each other for "free points". You may be thinking "Yeah but golf has wind and trees and water, so that's basically a defense." Bowling also has conditions. The lanes have oil on them, and this effects how the ball reacts.

• Bowling is a sport.

Bowling is an awesome game, yes there is video games out there that support bowling as just a game you play. But its not like that at all. I am 12 years old, I have bowled for about three years. Let me tell you a little bit about what I do, but when you play football can you get a scholarship for that? Yes, but very unlikely, with bowling I've known seniors that have won over 80,000 dollars and are getting offered by lots of colleges to come there. Me, personally I have only been bowling for a little over 2 years, but I love it. If you say no, think of this, do you go to tournaments for basketball? Sometimes. Do you go pro for softball? Very unlikely. Do you get to travel around the world for cheer? Not at all. These are questions you need to ask yourself. For bowling yes you just have to throw the ball down the lane, but it is not like that if you are this good. You need the right weight of bowling ball that is not a house ball, a good amount of muscles, a sliding bowling shoe that is not a rental, you need rev rate, ball speed, foot work, the ability to pick up spares, and most of all, you need to believe that this is a sport, because it sure as hell is. I could go on and on about everything I know about bowling but then you would not read this because it is too long. Trust me when I say this, bowling is a god damn sport.

• Obviously not a sport - just a game

First, I give credit that you need very good skills to play the game of bowling consistently well. I like bowling and it's fun.

But saying that, when you can be completely out of shape and still bowl a perfect game, the peak achievement of the "sport", it's embarrassing to call that a sport. Please do not ever say it's a sport because of a 16lb ball (way less then 10% most bowlers body weight). Just don't. Even so, if someone can still bowl a perfect game with a lighter ball, that makes it even more embarrassing to make the argument that the ball is heavy. A skinny 10 year old boy has bowled a perfect game! Is he that much stronger and more athlete than you? And for god's sake, this is a game with no variables either. It's you, a flat lane and the same number of pins all the time.

• Lmao not a sport, its a game

At this rate every game is being referred to as a sport from video games to bowling. A real sport is a war against the opponent, an effort a physical and mental one requiring training and hard work. Where as in games like bowling the objective is to get a high score and/or beat other high scores. Yes, bowling has team competitions but once again the objective is to beat the other's free attempt at doing so. Where in real sports its a fight for the score, no free shots. Yes your job is to get score, but you fight to keep the opponent from scoring and you fight to try to score. Real competition. You win not just because you scored more but because you proved you can get past the opponent and while not letting them pass you, You actually win, they could not beat YOU. In games people beat your SCORE.

• Not a sport

During bowling you do not need nearly any physical strength or ability. Bowling is a recreational activity a game a hobby not a sport. Sports not to involve running and perspiration from physical activity. It may take skill but there is not nearly enough physical activity. That is why bowling is not a sport.

• Why are people still debating this issue?

If you can smoke and drink while competing in it, and it doesn't negatively impact your performance, it is not a sport. The only people who argue that is a sport are those who are serious about it.

There is not enough physical activity involved to be classified as a sport.

• It's not athletic

Literally all you do in bowling is roll a heavy ball, and pick up a new ball. Sure, there are competitions, and teams, but the same can be said of LOL or chess. It has very little physical exertion; it is certainly not a sport, in any meaning of the word.

• Bowling is not a sport

Bowling is not a sport. It is an activity, hobby, or a game. It requires almost no physical exertion; the most being carrying a rather heavy ball (up to 16 lbs.) a few steps, then rolling it. It may require skill, but so do crafts, board games, and other HOBBIES. It's not a sport.

• Bowling is not a sport

Bowling is more like an activity or a game. The only physical exertion is carrying a ball that is only up to 16 lbs., walking a few step, and ROLLING (not even throwing) it. It may require skill but so does jewelry making or any board-game, both of which most people consider activities or hobbies.

• Not a Sport

It may require skill. There may be competitions, but bowling is a game, not a sport. If you think about it, there is nothing physical about the sport, except you carry a heavy ball.

You don't need to be physically fit to play bowling, whether you are a pro or ametuer.

• No. Just no.

Just no. Boring. I don't think this is a sport, it sucks, nothing to do with it, I hate it.

• LMAO no way tf