• The question isn’t whether it’s soup.

I think sauce is ruled out from the beginning, because you don’t normally have more or an equivalent amount of sauce on a food. Broth and Soup is a tricky one but you have to understand the differences. Now looking at the basic definition of broth provided by Merrimack Webster, “soup consisting of meat or vegetable chunks, and often rice, cooked in stock.” You see that a broth is merely a form of soup. So this leaves the only logical answer being a soup right? Well I’m not convinced. You see looking at the definition of soup, “Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot, that is made by combining ingredients of meat or vegetables with stock, juice, water, or another liquid.” You see here that cereal does not really match this description either. This leads us into the heated debate as to whether or not soup can be cold. You might be thinking, “soup can’t be cold,” but i have some examples for you. Okroshka from Russia, cold seaweed soup from Korea, and Spanish soup called Gazpacho are three of many example I could use. Not only this, but many of you might be forgetting at this point that cereal can be hot. When you eat oatmeal or cream of wheats you might be tempted to forget that what you’re eating is a cereal. But alas, it is. Coming from the definition of cereal which is, “a breakfast food made from roasted grain, typically eaten with milk.” So to conclude my argument, I would like to make my final point. CEREAL IS A SOUP.

• Us intellectuals know Cereal with Milk is a soup

While many of my peers of my school state that cereal with milk is not a soup, the truth cannot be hidden. It is soup. The non-intellectuals state that the soup needs to be hot/cooked, needs to have a broth, and that cereal is just cereal. First, there are plenty of cold soups, such as Okroshka from Russia, cold seaweed soup from Korea, Spanish soup called Gazpacho, and so much more. Some of the cold soups are cooked, then chilled, but many does not even need have heat applied to it. The broth debate of the soup goes into the core definition of soup. The definition of soup does say along the line of, "TYPICALLY contains broth..." There are plenty of milk based soups, that does not specifically need broths. Finally, when I ask people, "If it's not a soup, what is it?", they reply with absurd answers, such as that it's a sauce, or a salad, but most say its just cereal, nothing else. I do not disagree with this that cereal is cereal, since that is a known fact. However, this is about the type of dish, such as soup, salad, roast, sauce, sandwiches, and etc. Among these types of dish types, cereal with milk is undoubtedly a soup.

-Woo

• Us intellectuals know that Cereal with Milk is a Soup

-Seungwoo Park

• Us intellectuals know that cereal with milk is a soup

-Seungwoo Park

-Seungwoo Park

• Us Intellectual know it is a soup.

While many of my peers of my school state that cereal with milk is not a soup, the truth cannot be hidden. It is soup. The non-intellectuals state that the soup needs to be hot/cooked, needs to have a broth, and that cereal is just cereal. First, there are plenty of cold soups, such as Okroshka from Russia, cold seaweed soup from Korea, Spanish soup called Gazpacho, and so much more. Some of the cold soups are cooked, then chilled, but many does not even need have heat applied to it. The broth debate of the soup goes into the core definition of soup. The definition of soup does say along the line of, "TYPICALLY contains broth..." There are plenty of milk based soups, that does not specifically need broths. Finally, when I ask people, "If it's not a soup, what is it?", they reply with absurd answers, such as that it's a sauce, or a salad, but most say its just cereal, nothing else. I do not disagree with this that cereal is cereal, since that is a known fact. However, this is about the type of dish, such as soup, salad, roast, sauce, sandwiches, and etc, not the type of foods, such as cereals. Among these types of dish types, cereal with milk is undoubtedly a soup. I hope this makes people open their eyes and realize the reality and the truth of cereal with milk.

-Seungwoo Park 032902

• No One Believes Me

Having this argument at school, and no one seems to believe that cereal is soup. Cereal can be hot, soup can be cold. Cereal is chunks in a liquid, so is soup. We call it cereal because it is more specific. You don't say "oh, we're having vegetables for dinner" you specify, "oh, we're having broccoli and peas for dinner." SO, technically cereal is a soup although we don't call it that in daily convos

• No One Believes Me

• Cereal is Soup

Cereal is soup because you eat it with a spoon,it’s served in a bowl, the base is liquid and you do not need to cook cereal. I am sorry I cannot is your birthday and you want me walking alone I just want to know what I really really want to know about it and then you t

• Cereal is soup

Its charactaristics define it as so, and no charactaristic of soup excludes cereal. Cereal goes in the bowl, is prepared by pouring a liquid (broth, juice, water, in this case milk) over it. Soup can be hot, warm, cool, or cold. Soup typically has a meat or vegetable, but there is nothing that says it is limitted to meats and vegetables. Soup can have any broth, any added ingredient, and can be any temperature, is consumed with a spoon. Cereal fits into all of these prerequisites, it is A SOUP.

• The liquid milk in your cereal isn't boiling.

If we were to define soup, it can be easily defined as: a bowl of a heated/boiling liquid that can also be mixed with other ingredients.

What cereal is contradicts that definition. Cereal is made of some sort of crunchy flakes mixed in with nice, cold, fresh milk. The total opposite of soup. Plus, cereal eaten as a nice healthy breakfast.

Soup is eaten to calm or heal the body. So if cereal was a soup, wouldn't that change the definition of what soup is?

• In my opinion, a better definition:

Soup: "a liquid food made by boiling or simmering meat, fish, or vegetables with various added ingredients." -Dictionary.Com
    Since cereal is normally not made using such elements as meat, fish, or vegetables, and it almost never requires any preliminary simmering, I cannot morally consider it a soup. Now, my argument is simply based upon Dictionary.Com's definition, and definitions of the same word may vary from dictionary to dictionary, but the definition used by tacoman987 is debatably questionable. The fact that the definition used the word it is attempting to define is alarmingly... Alarming. If you tried to break the definition down and define each individual word, you would eventually attempt to define the word "soup" which you would find is a substance that resembles soup. But what is "soup?" Oh yeah, it is a substance that resembles soup! Wait... As you can see, you eventually run into this baffling, silly cycle. I for one completely agree with triton11 in claiming that breakfast cereal is a soup is positively preposterous.

• Of course it is NOT

Even using that definition, think about cereal. What type of soup does it resemble? Cereal was not made to resemble soup, it was made to give people of all ages a healthy alternative to other breakfast snacks. Cereal starts crunchy and cold, and progressively gets soggy and warm. Soup does the opposite. Due to this logic, cereal is not soup. But it is the shiznits.

• Of course it's not.

It's called "cereal" and it's a category, because there is different kinds of cereal. Soup is a category too, because there are different kinds of soup. It's like saying is my bread meat? Or is my phone a rubber ducky lol? It could be made into a hybrid but it's your life right?

• It's still cereal if it's dry

The debate at hand argues that cereal is a soup because it has solid chunks floating in a liquid mass (forgive the imagery). However, cereal is in fact still cereal if the liquid--the milk--were to be removed, therefore rendering cereal not reliant on the liquid, not liquid-based, and therefore not soup.

• Cereal not soup

Cereal is cereal. Soup is soup. Cereal is not soup. Soup is not cereal. Do you eat your Frosted Flakes in chicken broth? Do you put your chicken and vegetables in milk? No. With that being said, cereal could not possibly be soup.
    This question is very insulting to cereal enthusiasts, I think I'm going to have to report you to Captain Crunch.

• It's fact soup is not cereal.

Soup is with broth and cereal is with milk. You look up the definition of the two and they're different. Do you put milk with chicken and rice? NO you put broth, therefore feral and soup are completely different. Also, as said previously soup is salty and cereal is not.

• Did u really ask this? NO!

Do people call soup soup? Yes! Do people call cereal cereal? Yes! Do people call cereal soup or soup cereal? NO! Cereal is its own catagory, soup is its own catagory. Soup is hot, cereal is (mostly) either dry, wet, cold, or any combination of the two. So ya... Cereal is not soup.

• Soup is specific in what it means

There are many foods that seem similar because they have a liquid property but fall under different categories. These are some of them and they are all classed differently.

-Broth
    -Soup
    -Stew
    -Bisque
    -Chowder
    -Gumbo
    -Oatmeal
    -Cereal

There are differences to why they are named differently, you are free to look this up. Cereal is it's own category. I would say it's biggest difference is that it's solely based on milk, grains, chocolate, peanut butter, fruits or other sweet/desert sugary consistency.

• It is considered the same dish when eaten dry.

What ingredient(s) of soup still constitute soup when they are served or consumed in their dry form? Dry/raw noodles are not "soup" and neither is powdered chicken stock or barley or crab or cream for bisques. Dry cereal is still cereal, and milk is not a necessary component of the food cereal, thereby removing the liquid part necessary to make it "soup."