• Incentives and revenues

Taxes can be used for purposes of incentives and disincentives. Implementing carbon taxes, would encourage usage of renewable energy and energy efficiency. It would discourage the usage of energy sources and methods that are more likely to pollute and cause global warming.

Carbon taxes can also pay for the clean up of pollution, something not accounted for in the actual costs of energy. They can also pay for the infrastructure needed to sustain the carbon-based economy.

• Surplus gov money

Tax will give gov surplus money so that they can put that to good use. Money can be used to improve stuff and build roads, bridges and still reduce carbon emmisions at the same time. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• Surplus gov money

• Surplus gov money

• Is good idea

Iso happy to see the new version is better to be the first half of the day before I get a follow back on my way home and watch movies and I cuddle and up with my the best of the day before I get a follow back on track with my life is I and my friends and I don't love you too much for me to get the be a good one and only one who is the best

• Yes, A Carbon Tax Forces Manufacturers to Take Account of Their Pollution

Goods are priced to reflect their cost, plus a reasonable profit. However, these
    prices often do not reflect the environmental cost. A carbon tax attempts to put
    a price on the amount of pollution a particular good or service costs. That way,
    manufacturers and service providers are forced to take environmental effects
    into account. This can be nothing but good for the world.

• Carbon Tax is a forceful way to cooperate householders and businesses to turn green.

• Production may shift to countries with no or lower carbon taxes. (so called ‘pollution havens’)
    • The cost of administrating the tax may be quite expensive reducing its efficiency.
    • Difficult to know the level of external cost and how much the tax should be.
    • Possibility of tax evasion. Higher taxes may encourage firms to hide carbon emissions.
    • If demand is price inelastic, the tax may have to be very high to reduce demand significantly. In the short term, firms may not feel they have many alternatives. Though other time, demand will become more elastic as more alternatives are generated.
    • Consumers dislike new taxes and often don’t believe that they will be ‘revenue neutral’. This is not an economic argument, but it is a political reality and explains why it is often difficult to implement.
    • A global carbon tax may curtail economic activity in the poor developing world because they can’t afford the small increase in energy costs, but the developed world may simply be able to pay. There may be need for a carbon tax to reflect different abilities to pay.

Posted by: anax
  • We don't need more taxes

Just think about it we don't need taxes to help keep carbon levels down. We don't need another way for the government to be in our lives. We already pay enough taxes so adding another is the stupidest thing ever . I understand climate change is a thing but we don't need taxes to help stop it.

• Government Tax Grab

This is just another tax grab by government officials to pay for their wasteful spending habits. Little or none of the money taken from these taxes goes towards helping the environment. It all ends up in wasteful welfare programs by the government.

In addition to this, the majority of the companies that you are trying to slow down are not affected by it. They simply pass these costs on to the consumer. In other words, it is you I that end up paying more for our heating bills in the dead of winter and more to buy our food that now tours the planet before it hits our plate. These taxes only hurt the wrong people....More and more people will be lining up at the food banks as we are decades away from alternative low-cost energy solutions.

Oh, and scientists suggest that humans are only responsible for approximately 3% of the carbon emissions that lead to global warming. It's a drop in the bucket my friends.

• Tax on the poor and people who can't afford alternate energy.

Increased Transportation costs, heating and cooling of homes, businesses, etc. these increased costs are always passed down the line so that our food, utilities go up and there is little the average person can do about it. We are taxed enough and governments need to take a lead in giving incentives and/or grants to companies for innovation to develop low cost alternatives so that the average person has a reasonable alternative.

anax says2013-07-01T06:16:13.493
Soooo agree
fractaldreams says2013-07-01T09:03:37.623
Oh dear, many of the opinion questions I find interesting do not have a straightforward Yes or No answer... I was going to go with 'Yes' because, essentially, the carbon tax is a pollution tax and we need every incentive to get away from this state of dependency on fossil fuels, we need to fund environmental conservation projects and we need to motivate big business to move towards sustainability. However, perhaps a capping emmissions would work better, I don't know. All I do know is that something radical needs to happen and it needs to happen soon.