• Christmas is WAY too commercialized

Thanks to the hype and overwhelming amount of advertising, Halloween and Thanksgiving are constantly overlooked. You can go to just about any grocery store shortly after October begins and most of them already have their Christmas decorations set up and some even play Christmas music BEFORE HALLOWEEN! You can thank Black Friday for officially ruining Thanksgiving as well. People should be home spending time with their families but instead their out standing in line for hours in front of Best Buy and Wal-Mart just to get Christmas presents at a discount. To keep Christmas from sending everyone into debt my family always draw names and get gifts for that person with a price limit. I don't know about the rest of you but I sure as hell can't afford to buy EVERYONE in my family gifts. Christmas is far from the most wonderful time of the year. More like the most stressful time of the year because everyone's worried about getting gifts and having enough money to do so without breaking the bank.

• Too commercial now

Too expensive. Too indulgent . Not what xmas used to be about.... A simple celebration of the birth of Jesus. Everything now is loud, brash, and completely OTT. People spend too much, drink too much, eat to much and then get into debt......This is not what xmas is meant to be.

• It's for family, not greed.

Christmas is supposed to be a time for family, but for many years now it has become a "what are you getting me" holiday. I agree that kids are excited for the presents under the tree but I think adults have no business making special requests for what they want. As an adult if there is something I truly want, I will go buy it myself, I'm not going to ask someone to spend money they probably don't have. And it makes me sick how car dealers adverstise buying someone a car for a christmas gift, hello, do they think everyone is a millionaire who can buy things like that as gifts. Make the kids happy on christmas, the adults enjoy your family time, stop being so damn greedy and like whatever you get. Another thing, I don't give gift receipts, if someone doesn't like what I get them enough that they need to return it, that person didn't deserve a gift to begin with.

• Seriously, why do they do this?

Christmas isn't supposed to be about MONEY HERE MONEY THERE MONEY EVERYWHERE!!!!!111111 It is about spending time with family and, for some people, celebrating the birth of Jesus. Not only is it getting too commercial, but it it slowly replacing Thanksgiving. Stores all around put up their Christmas decorations one day after Halloween. Seriously? Is this what you thing about Christmas and Thanksgiving? Is Christmas just a puppet to use to get more money? Is Thanksgiving useless to this world? What the f***, people? STRAIGHTEN THE F*** UP.

• Yes it is

I believe Christmas is too commercialized because... Shops spend lots of money to get new toys and make catalogs with Christmas discounts. Many people say Christmas is about spending money till your broke the next day. Christmas is about spending time with family and friends along with being grateful for what you have in live. Whatever your opinion is please take time to respect what others say about this.

• Christmas is not becoming too commercialized

Christmas has not become to commercialized because Christmas only happens once a year and it should be celebrated in all different ways. In my opinion Christmas should be celebrated with family and happiness. Making them feel happy and buying them presents is a perfect to do that . If people would like to spend a lot of their money thats up to them.
    Written by an 11 year old Robert Abboud

• Yes it is to commercialized.

I believe its to commercialized because shops spent time to place out new toys in the windows and make catalogs with Christmas discounts. Christmas is the time to spend with family and friends, not about spending so much money that your broke the next day. Christmas is the time for fun kids love getting presents along with the new toy why have asked for the hole year. Whatever your opinion is take the time to reed everyone else first before you pick.

• Yes it is

It is to commercialized because shops use this time to sell their new toys. It is meant to be a time when you come together with your family that you might only see once a year at Christmas so you come and see them not play around and wait to be given presents. And it should be more about family, friends and eating pork

• Stop making christmas about spending but look at the bigger picture

No one recognises what Christmas is about 41% agreed that Christmas is a about celebrating that God loves humanity. 24% disagreed with this.
    40% said Christmas is a good excuse for taking time off and doesn't really have any meaning today but 34 % disagreed with this.
    98% knew Jesus was born in Bethlehem
    89% knew Mary put the baby Jesus in a manger
    83% knew the Angel Gabriel told Mary she would give birth
    77% knew Herod was king at the time
    63% knew the angels were the first to announce the news
    52% knew Mary and Joseph were travelling because they has been ordered to register with the authorities
    46% knew the shepherds were first to visit Jesus
    32% knew the word Immanuel means 'God is with us'
    26% knew Mary and Joseph were engaged when she found out she was going to have a baby 14% knew the wise men travelled West following the star to Jerusalem

• Yes, of course

I don't think that all these people who love xmas so much,go to the stores to experience Jesus spirit and they don't pray for God while they eat extreme amounts of food.Xmas is still a period when people are give more love,but for a different reason, not relegion.I'm a person that doesn't have a relegion,though I can see the above clearly.

• No it's is not

We can't help it the fact that we spend too much money on Christmas we just want to make our kids happy because we fear if we do not get what they want then we will let them down, we still do celebrate Christmas with family but not all people are religious.

• Christmas spirit and thanksgiving

Christmas is not a huge commercialising, commercialising gets you dreagged into the Christmas spirit. some commercials have gifts that you won't to buy for your family members. Or some ideas of some your decorations or some embellishments for your Christmas tree or your functiom. This would be a great opportunity for all of us to have fun enjoy your presents. They might be some competitions you would like to join in I think It would be a great opportunity

• There is no true 'meaning of Christmas' anyway

For starters, I don't agree that Christmas is all about presents, because people still value spending time with their family. Large family meals are still popular. Most people stay in with their families on Christmas Day. While the religious element is now less relevant, the religious element was always false. It was simply a means of instilling Christian ideals to the Pagan Solstice festival. The meaning of Christmas has changed over time, but to say that it's too commercial is strange when companies can only promote products because people still want to give others gifts, to show how much you appreciate them.

• It is what you make it.

You can choose what to focus on during Christmas. There is fun in purchasing gifts for those who you love and for those who are in need. One of the problems is that buying gifts is becoming more and more difficult for those who need nothing that you can afford. With so many using the credit card there is a culture of instantaneous gratification which does not wait for Christmas to get what one wants. So, Christmas can be too commercial if we see it as what we will receive for ourselves, but it is also a time when we can focus on giving to those who have a need.

• It is but we can't help it

Christmas is way too commercialized, incredibly but we just can't help it. In our generation, people care about the presents and always anticipate this holiday. It's not like they only care about the presents either, it's more of the essence of the holiday spirit i guess. I mean what do you expect, Christmas has escalated to be such a big holiday and so what business wouldn't try to cease the opportunity. You can't expect a business or something to not ride the 'Christmas spirit' to sell and such. I for one think it's too commercialized also, I cringe when I start seeing Christmas items on sale when it's still October/November but then again, I also enjoy the whole presents and gathering together feel of Christmas because it makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the actual day. I acknowledge that Christmas is meant to celebrate the birth of Jesus and that its about the love and care but we can also see this through the buying of presents and the gathering of family. So what I'm trying to say is that Christmas is far too commercialized but there are positive points to it...

• It is not too commercialized.

It was stolen from the pagan winter equinox celebration, so technically does not belong to any religion, and should as a result be open to interpretation. Also, it's not the fault of shops advertising their stuff, because they are just doing their jobs and should not be prevented form it.

• I say no

I feel that although most children get what they want for Christmas some do not and are happy with what they have.For example when your Nan gets you something you do not like but you still are great full and do not get angry unlike what other people without children think that its like.

• Christmas is not too Commercialized!!!

Christmas is a special time for everyone, despite the facts that some are homeless or have no family - This is what Christmas is for. Its a reason for everyone to be kind , not only to give and receive gifts but to be happy and with your loved ones , and the best thing about christmas!
    Sophie
    Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!

Written by an 11 year old Robert Abboud

• Yes it is to commercialized.