Is climate change to blame for the recent 7.9 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia?

• It's not impossible.

Although climate change doesn't cause earthquakes directly, other effects of climate change can result in earthquakes.

Earthquakes are the result of tectonic plates pulling away from, pushing towards or rubbing against each other, producing tremors that shake the ground. But there is new science that may suggest that it could be linked to climate change.

The ice caps in both the North and South Poles are normally huge and swollen so much that they stick to the sea floor. Their grip is so tight that they can even slow tectonic movement. Now that they are reducing in size, the hold they have on the plates underneath is loosening allowing more and more movement.

In conclusion, it's incredibly difficult to associate this earthquake in particular to climate change, it's not out of the realm of possibility that climate change is the indirect cause.

• It just might be.

I know it is simply just plain and simple speculation, and I agree; nowadays people are using climate change (once called global warming) as an excuse for every weather shift. Let me tell you a scientific fact, as time passes by, climate change gets worse; and when climate change gets worst, more natural disasters start to appear. We are still currently learning about climate change; in fact, we've only learned the tip of the iceberg. Well, let me get back on topic. Though this is pure speculation on my part, climate change does heat up the icebergs around the North and South pole, melting them. This causes water levels to rise, slightly changing how the water moves little by little. Keep in mind that the countries, cities, and nations we live in are just simply floating lands on a giant oceanic Earth. These changes can change how these lands would move normally and make the bodies start to rub against one another, causing an earthquake. Fun fact: earthquakes are caused by tectonic plates rubbing against one another when two or more bodies collide. New lands are created as one of the two tectonic plates slides over the other. Back on subject, another speculation might be in the soil. As water levels rise, so too does the humidity, which would make it easier for soil to get shifted, which connects to what I mentioned. Though there is no hard evidence, it doesn't mean it's impossible.

• Is climate change to be blamed for the recent 7.9 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia

It is too early to determine whether climate change is to be blamed for the recent 7.9 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia. Earthquakes are a geological phenomena which have occurred throughout the earths evolution leading to the creation of new landmasses as well as the destruction of several existing landmasses. However, climate change needs to be further studied in the current context.

• Climate change is not to blame for the recent 7.9 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia

Unless there is some scientific basis in fact, and not speculation, climate change is not to blame for the earthquake in Indonesia. If somebody gets a headache these days it's caused by climate change. Climate change is far from settled science. It's time to stop using that as an excuse for every shift in the weather or earthly calamity.

• No, there is no evidence that climate change causes earthquakes.

While climate change is a pressing issue with measurable effects, there is no evidence that climate change is causing an increase in earthquakes. The precise mechanisms for what causes earthquakes are in fact not well known. Scientists know that plate activity plays a role, but there is still much more to learn about the subject.

• Not sure how climate change could have this effect.

I haven't heard of climate change affecting earthquakes originating from under the ocean so I would disagree with this assessment. Unless the increased water levels in the ocean are having an effect on the earth's shifting plates, I just can see the relationship. Climate change is a critically serious problem but I doubt this is one of the results.