Is college really as important as our society has made it out to be?

• Yes college is important

Life aint easy my friend but with an education you will retty succesfull in some ways we aint gonna know of.. Unless you wanna be selling dope in corners the rest of your life. THINK STRAIGHT MY FRIEND! LIFE AINT EASY! TALK IS CHEAP! PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOU MOUTH IS!

• Yes college is important

• We need the education

College is very important because people have many more oppotuintiy's and many more with prices going up and people getting low pay, going to college will help you out a lot because you get a beter education and a better job and a lot more money to pay off your house bill,and your insurance, and food, clothing and other stuff for our future kids and stuff....College is very important!
    -lunalilo elementry school
    -annonymous

• I believe with most of the people that say yes only because i understand where they are coming from,

Yes college is expensive but it is well worth it in the long run.. If you stick through college and graduate you will have enough skill and knowledge to go where ever and do what ever you want in life. I know that i don't want to bagging other peoples food for the rest of my life at Kroger i wanna be a successful person and making money out the yahoo.

• College is important

Imagine guys you are a famous singer and something happens to your voice than slowly and gradually you will loose your career but if you have a career you have your degree and you can get a new jpb. I wish all of you all the best for your future.

• College is important

• Yes It Is

In modern day you usually need a college degree in order to get a decent job. The amount of people with college degrees has grown substantially, and people with only high school educations have too much competition now from the college educated in the job market. Resumes with only a school education listed will generally be tossed in the trash during the first cut by hiring managers if there are people who have applied to the job with college degrees.

Another important reason why college is important is because most high schools in modern day do not teach students good writing skills. This has become painfully obvious when you see people with only high school diplomas write "there" when it should be "their" or "they're" and "to" when it should be "too", etc. etc....College professors from decent universities would never let that sort of thing slide, and employers don't want to see that either. I should also mention the critical thinking skills, time management skills and many other skills that employers want that people with only high school diplomas generally don't possess as much as your average college graduate.

Sure, people will put forth plenty of arguments claiming that they were able to start their own business and are now multi-millionaires, became major CEOs, etc. with only a high school diploma or less. Congratulations, but you are the exception to the rule.

• Yes college is important

Why is college important ? Because what would life be without succession ? .. We all know that all these famous rappers didn't go to college but these are only people that are talented . There are few people that are talented like they are . It is stated that 80 out of 100 people go to college , and they all succeed in life . Those 20 people remaining are high school dropouts. Those people do not succeed.
    Imagine how proud your parents would be if they knew that you chose to have a successful life ... Their tears running down their face at your graduation . You could help them out in life . (since you'll be making stacks ) .. Let them quit their jobs and repay them for all they did for you . YOUR LIFE !

• Yes, college is very important.

I believe that college is really as important as our society as made it out to be. College graduates can get better jobs with degrees and enjoy a higher status in society. Not only that, college teaches young people how to live away from home, how to manage a budget, time management skills, etc. College is valuable in many ways.

• Yes

I think college is as important as our society has made it out to be. That is where you decide what you want to do with your life and what degree you want to get. It can be a big tone setter for the rest of your life. People that do not got to college don't usually have a good of a job as someone who did.

• I would lean towards no.

We're essentially telling people what was true 20-30 years ago, without taking a moment to really examine what is true now. Degrees are becoming so commonplace that to have a bachelors degree is virtually meaningless. There are jobs that do not even require post secondary schooling. This is much much more gray than it is black and white. HOWEVER, it would still be a stretch to discourage anyone from attending college/university because of some negative outcomes (e.G., high level of student loan debt, poor career prospects, etc.). While it is obviously very far from reality that college is the end all be all and guarantees economic success, it is an investment if done correctly (e.G, minimizing debt and very carefully selecting major). Also, despite the previous statement that a lot of current jobs still don't require a post secondary education, it won't be long (i.E., a decade or so) before the majority of jobs beyond minimum wage require a college degree even if only an associates. College really has been oversold to an extent, it certainly is helpful but there's so much more than just a diploma that leads to success. Even graduate school doesn't automatically put one ahead, master degree holders can find similar outcomes to those who only have a bachelors degree. If one is pursuing a doctorate, say a PhD in biochemistry that might be a bit different lol. Not sure that having a PhD will ever limit options, but for an undergrad degree and masters degree they should be given considerable thought.

• For Being A Lawyer Doctor Or Scientist Yes

I think people make it seem more important in today's society compared to when our great grandparents were around. Back in the old days a person who dropped out of high school could get a job it didn't matter you taught a person how to do the job and they did it. Also a lot of people are not college material so why set an unreasonable standard on all of us to go just to fail and be stuck with the cost.

• Just because I said so.

I said so, so listen to me and stop arguing with me. I am not going to do some dumb debate. If I say so, don't argue. It's true. Haha ha ha ha ha ha a hah aha hha aha ah ahah a ha hah aha ha haha haha h h Now..........S u c k it

• Just because I said so.

• Just because I said so.

• It doesn't matter if you have a degree or not

Candidate A had 20 years of related experience and a bachelor’s degree in a related field. Candidate B had 20 years of experience in the industry, but in an unrelated field and a master’s degree in a related field. Myself and the other interviewers all choose Candidate A; it didn’t matter that candidate B had more education. Candidate A was able to “check off the education box” and sell us on her experience.

• Not for everyone

If what you want to do is get a job in a field that requires knowledge from a degree that college is the best way to get, then it's for you. But some people (myself included) don't trod the beaten path. Personally, i crave adventure, service, danger and flight. I don't want to wait until my golden years are over to get it either. I'm not dumb--4.0 GPA, 32 ACT, etc--and I love learning, but college is not for me. I'm joining the military instead, and when I;m out if I want to focus on learning I can always do that. But to me I measure success with my happiness and impact on the world, and I maximize those doing somthing that is definitely not college.

• Who is the richest man ever? (That is not a king)

Bill Gates? No. He dropped out of college though. Mark Zuckerberg? Nope, he too dropped out. Nope, it would be dear old John Rockefeller.

The guy that the plaza in New York is named after. Want to know something interesting about him? I bet you do, because school probably left this one out. The richest man to have ever lived attended college for a mere 70 days, and what he learned was simple business strategies that any human could learn with the usage of Google today.

College is a tool, it can be used to propel you in your career if used effectively, but it isn't.

The thing is, the education system as a whole is filled with completely useless information. The saying that school prepares you for life in the real world is a load of crap. I just graduated from High School, and if my dad wasn't an electrician I would have no idea that you could have a good life without a bachelors degree.

Let me break this down. In the book 'Outliers' by Malcom Gladwell, he theorizes (and sufficiently backs up his claims) that if you put 10,000 hours into any craft you will reach a level of mastery. He uses Bill Gates's programming hours, the practice habits of athletes, etc. as examples. 10,000 hours may sound like a long time, but do you realize how much time college takes up?

With a basic understanding of the world you will be able to comprehend this. There are 365 days in a year. Most bachelor degrees take 4 years. (365*4=1,460) plus the one day for the leap year makes it 1,461 days. Now each and every day has 24 hours. (1,461*24=35,064) 35 thousand hours of your life will be taken by college time. Okay, scientific studies show that people need around 8 hours of sleep per day to function, but I am going to say that I want 10 cozy hours per night. (10/24= about .42)

Hopefully you are still following this. 42% of your day is taken away by sleep (this is being VERY generous). If you take the 35,064 hours of your life during college, multiply that by .42 (35,064*.42) you get about 14,727 hours left. Now subtract your 10,000 hours in order to master your craft and you are left with 4,727 hours of free time. In college this free time would be spent studying, stressing out about student loans, working off student loans, etc.

Now 4,727 is almost 200 days of free time! And if you want more free time don't sleep 10 hours every night. That's 200+ beach days, or 200+ days where you develop a hobby, or 200+ days where you rest. It's time when you live your life your way. Not according to a stupid rubric that gives you information that doesn't prepare you. Not at some stupid 'rager'. Nope, it's spent enjoying life.

Your life. YOU DECIDE HOW TO SPEND IT! Set a goal and achieve it.

• Not as important

I graduated high school at the age of 18 and straight away went to a community college in my country (which is the only one it has) most of the courses are at night so I started working. After 2 semesters I left and worked full time I loved working I got experience and was earning good money. After I turned 21 my mom was in me about getting g a college degree so I decided to go to Europe and get one 3 year later now I'm 25 I hate it. I have a whole amount of debt mostly from student loans, you sit in a classroom Lear something then get tested and because it's not how the answer is suppose to be you fail. I find society had this norm from the beginning that you should go to college because it will open more doors in life that can be true but I had many good doors open without a college degree. I'm currently getting a certificate online and decided to leave college it's just not for me, but if you feel that college is important then by all means go the friendships and the experience you get are once in a lifetime and I can honestly say I had a great experience but didn't learn anything I was just focusing on passing.

• It's just High School with parties

I've learned nothing in college. It's honestly a waste of tuition to have to go through high school courses again and prove that I can do advanced math and over analyze pointless literature? Remind me again why this proves I am well suited for any job? Certain professions need college...But many don't. So many worthless degrees.