• Proving my "Pointe"

I have dance practice 20 hours THIS WEEKEND alone. Yes, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...If you have never been on a competition dance team before, you have absolutely no right to even have a voice in this debate. You have no idea the skill that is required to compete dance. You compete based off of a score a judge gives you (just like in gymnastics) and you have to be an actor, dancer, musician, and artist all in one athlete that trains just as much as any other. My team as a division just for guys alone and most of them are football and soccer players that tried hip hop is a hobby. By the end of the year, every single one of them say it is harder than any sport they've every played.

• Is dance a sport? Yes.

Have you danced before? It is harder than a sport, but doesn't qualify? And football does? You throw a 1 pound ball, catch it, then run. If you're hurt then everyone takes a knee and you get to sit out. If you get hurt in dance, you have to go through the rest of the recital hurt. You football, soccer, lacrosse, and basketball player couldn't take dance class for a minute. We are stronger, smarter, more pain-bearing, more flexible, and have better endurance than football players. Think we're so prissy now?

• Dance is a sport

First off you have no right to say that dance is not a sport if you have never danced before. I have played volleyball soccer done gymnastics and I now dance and i can honestly say it is the most challenging SPORT out of all of them. All other sports require you to have strong legs, or arms or a strong core but dance requires all of the above. sport |spĂ´rt|
    noun
    1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment
    dance does all that.

• Alright, settle down.

You're talking about how dance isn't in the olympics and that is why it is not a sport. Well you guys say cheerleading is a sport but that isn't in the olympics either. Just because it isn't in the olympics doesn't mean it's not a sport. Professional football players also take dance lessons to help them. Football and baseball are sports and they are not in the olympics. You guys are just jealous that you cannot dance like a professional. Dance isn't all about entertaining it is a way of life and it is a sport to do.

• Have you ever danced? Dancing requires as much athletic ability as other sports.

If you played football, you would find the workout similar to dance. If you cheered, you would find that dancers also lift each other, if you did gymnastics, you would see that dancers also have extreme flexibility. This does not necessarily make dance a sport, but explain to me how pogo sticking or ping pong can be a "sport" but not dance. Dance requires cardiovascular conditioning, strength, agility and flexibility just like any other sport.

• Dance is a sport

Because they compete. They travel. They work just as hard as what other people consider "athletes" do and they should be considered athletes as well. Dance is just as hard and dance takes just as much skill as some sports and sometimes even more. There is absolutely no reason that dance is not a sport.

• Dance is a sport

Dance takes hours and hours of practice to perfect every little detail over the course of multiple years. You all sit here and say that the only people that believe that dance isn't a sport are actual dancers, well from what I've read the only people that believe that dance is not a sport are ignorant non-dancers. A lot of times all people see from dancers is there performance on stage. This goes hand in hand with don't judge a book by the cover, don't judge a dancer by the performance. A dancer's job is to make the most difficult routine look effortless and easy. If you are in pain you can't show it and I think that if you all believe that dance is easy then we are doing our job and making it look that way when the reality is while you stand there with a smile on your face en pointe the skin on your feet is ripping open and it bleeds and it burns but this isn't football you can't take a break and sit on the sidelines while you are checked you need to keep going until you are done with the exact same energy you started with and those bleeding feet and sore muscles and overworked lungs are all just your little secret.

Dance is incredibly demanding physically and mentally and if the only reason it isn't a sport is because you don't have a ball or puck and you're not competing against others (which you are so that's a lie) then you need to wake up and smell the roses because by saying that you're ruling out more sports than just dance. You say that dancers have no goal there working towards and that is the biggest lie I have ever heard, dancers are working towards a goal that most people would say is impossible and it's to be perfect. Dancers chase perfection it's what we're after and what we work everyday as hard and as long as we can to achieve, so while we chase the impossible and exhaust our bodies into doing things they physically should not do have fun throwing a rubber circle into a string net.

My final note on the subject is that if dance is a leisurely hobby for fun then why is it so incredibly demanding oh wait that's because it's a physically exhausting sport that people work hard doing so that it can become a full time career. Dancers do not get enough credit and I would advise that before you start running your ignorant mouth take a dance class and you'll see just how hard it is.

• Competitive Dance is a Sport

Dancers train like athletes and go through intense training to develop strength and muscles for the physical exertion. Dance competitions are difficult and are judged by judges but this DOES NOT MATTER. Figure skating and gymnastics have judges and they are Olympic qualified sports. Sports are also meant to provide entertainment purposes and dance provides an attraction to its audiences. Thus if you say dance is not hard, not competitive and simply an easy thing than you need to recheck your evaluations.

• Yes, dancing deserves to be an Olympic sport.

Dance may not be as brutal as football, but it is harder. Do they stand on the tips of their toes and do 50 turns? I don't think so. We train, build endurance, learn how to be graceful and so many other things. It takes hard work and dedication, and only certain people can dance. I bet even if we dancers tried to train other athletes, they couldn't dance at all.

• Yes, dance is a sport

For the people who say 'no'. Why don't you do pirouettes, grand jetes, and other moves with a smile on your face. I would like to see you take a few classes and experience how hard dance really is. You say that there is no competitions. Honey please, watch a few episodes of "Dance Moms". You say that anybody can do it. If everyone can dance then there would be many professional dancers. You say there are no balls, nets, etc. Gymnastics doesn't have any of those but it is still a sport. You say that you don't work hard to achieve anything. OK, Sure you don't {sarcastically saying}. At the end of the day, dance is still a sport.

• it is not

It has no skill involved and girls do dance therefore is easy and anyone can do it. It also is not a recognised sport and is not in the Olympic games, whereas the the Olympic games have every recognised sport in the world. DANCE IS NOT A SPORT. FULL STOP.

• There is no action.

There is no physical action. I've never seen a girl sweat in dance. All you do remember is walking in circles and wearing makeup. Watching it is even worse than the sport itself. I will give dancers the credit for doing splits. Other than that the only thing they do to sweat, is stretch.

• OF COURSE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dance is simply a game of memory. There might be little hard parts such as a couple turns in a row, but nothing that a normal person couldn't learn in under a month. Some people might say that dance is just like gymnastics which is a sport, but gymnastics requires practice, skill, and talent which is NOT a definition for dance.

• No way - it doesn't have a ball, a puck, or a goal.

Sure your running around getting exercise but there are a lot of things you do that in that are not a sport. You do not have a goal, in all SPORTS there is a goal to score points and win the game. What's the objective of dance? To dance till the end of the song? I think NOT it is not a sport and if you haven't realized all the people who DO think it is a sport do dance. I do not. I play softball, soccer and basketball. And let me tell you, dance is NOT A SPORT.

• It's not a sport!

Here are a couple reasons I think dance isn't a sport...The physical demands are nowhere close to meeting an athlete's. Dancers only need leg muscles, and no upper body strength is needed, where athletes need it all around. Dance is an art...Or an activity. Sports are competitive, and you're working for your goal, not just a trophy or a medal. Athletes are strong, and lean, and dancers are little, fake, dolls. Athletes get hurt and we tough it out, where dancers don't really ever tough it out. And dance isn't in the Olympics. I have many other reasons, but I've ranted enough.

• Dance is not a sport!

In dance, you don't compete every weekend and It is mainly about your posture and moves! You are not stealing balls or scoring goals. I think that only sports that compete a ton are considered sports and if you were physically scoring goals with your body. Plus, you are not exactly working as a team.

• Dance is not considered a sport!

Dance is not a sport due to the fact that everyone can do it. For example, a sport like golf or hockey is a sport because it takes much talent to play either of them. Now anyone can dance. That's why it doesn't count as a sport. Bring it haters.

• Dance is not a sport because you are not competing against another team.

In dancing, you do not compete against another team. All you do in dancing is compete against a panel of judges. The entire basis of if you win or not is based on the opinions of the judges. This is not based on how athletic the dancer may be. I do not view this as any type of sport.

• No

Real sports have no subjectivity to them. Dance scores can change largely regarding to how a judge feels the day. All dance is is the recital of a practiced routine, there is no thinking on the spot in dance so therefore dance is more of rehearsal, a hobby or a routine.

• It's NOT a sport!!!

Okay so a sport involves moving. Physical moment and that kind of stuff. Your not chasing balls like you would in softball and baseball. You're not running all around like you would in basketball or soccer. You are moving but it's not an actual sport. Think about it, all you do is spin around and jump up and down. There is no interacting as a team because your dancing with your team, but your not helping them.

Research this topic: United States
Anonymous says2013-03-16T19:56:33.470
Dance is hard thing to do in general do football players have to sit in a middle spit and we have the time starts over so before you start saying that its not a sport think about it
Anonymous says2013-04-20T22:33:49.797
Dance isn't a sport... That's a fact! Sports need a good audience! An audience that cheers and makes tons of noise when a perticular team or person does something great! And when someone else does something well they boo! Dance isn't a sport at all! Anyone can dance! They may not be very good at it but they still dance! In sports you don't perform to a song! DANCE ISN'T A SPORT AND NEVER WILL BE!!!!!!
Anonymous says2013-08-20T21:52:00.543
To those of you stating dance is not a sport because it is judged......What is gymnastics? Also, to those stating dance is not a sport because you are not a part of a team? My daughter competetively dances with a team and in solo competitions. It is judged the same as her gymnastics meets. Dance is a sport.
Maddox says2013-11-07T23:42:15.583
Dance is NOT a sport. Those who say it is are only people who participate in it and want dance to be recognized as sport only to say that they play a sport like most everyone else.
The reason I say this is because dance is qualitative, not quantitative. This means dance is based on quality rather than quantity. A real sport requires a point system that when it mathematically comes down to it, a robot can decide the winning team, side or individual. I know what you might be thinking. "But there is a point system in dance!" Yes, there is. But a pretty unofficial one to say at least. The point system in dance relies on judges who can be biased. This means that each point in dance is subject to debate. In a real sport, bias is still there, just not nearly as common. When it comes down to it, dance is just too unofficial. Whether it be a "pickup game" or a national league game, the point system remains the same and fairly accurate. In dance, points vary on what you can do, where you go and who decides. Therefore reinforcing my argument that dance is not a sport.
A lot of people say that dance is much harder than any sport and should be because of its physical demand. You know what else is physical? Weightlifting at the gym. It's much harder to bench press 75 pounds than throw around a ball. But that still doesn't mean it's a sport. Dance and weightlifting are both activities along with gymnastics. Just because it's physical doesn't mean it's a sport. For those who keep using the argument that dance is just like gymnastics is just hurting their argument. Neither are sports.
My last argument is that if we accept dance as a sport, then we accept almost anything physical and that can be used with a point system quantitatively or qualitatively can be a sport. I could call going to the toilet a sport, couldn't I? It's plenty physical and can be judged. No.
Dance is no more than a sport than going to the toilet. If you think dance is a sport, take a look at real sports before you go on a hissy fit about it being one.
AinzerDancer11 says2013-12-07T05:35:35.140
YES! People say that dance is not a sport for reasons such as it's not in the Olympics, it's not a "team" sport, it's boring to watch, it uses judges, it takes no physical or mental ability, and you dress up in costumes. If dance isn't in the olympics than neither should gymnastics, figure skating, or diving. All of these use a judging system. Figure skating uses costumes, yet it's considered a sport. As for it not taking team effort, you've obviously never seen people do lifts, falls, and other things non-dancers wouldn't understand. It's not boring to watch if you actually WATCH the ballet/dance. And for the record, over the summer, I do roughly 25 hours of dance a week. I take three classes a day, varying from barre, floor, jazz, modern, pre pointe, and even pollutes! You try doing two hours of pollutes. Most non-dancers would be in tears. That covers everything but mental strength. I have had to learn numerous French terms, pronunciations. For example. Rond de jambe, which means circle of the foot, and is excited by moving our foot around you in a circular motion. Dance qualifies as a sport whether or not you like it. If figure skating is considered a sport, than dance should be to!