• Depression is a choice...

In order for you not to be depressed, you can just say "I'm not depressed." It is not forced upon and you can choose not to be. It is a chemical imbalance in the that is stopped if you simply choose not to think those thoughts. Nobody forces you to think, that would be mind control, which as far as I'm aware we're all humans and animals that don't have that ability here. It can be persuaded and sometimes stronger than others, but it is laziness if you let yourself be depressed because I promise you that you don't have to be if you just get up and choose to start thinking differently.

• I'm not saying depression is not a real problem, but for the vast majority of younger teens it is usually a normal feeling

For some reason everyone around my age now has depression. And not only that, but many go straight towards drugs to try to "fix" themselves. Using drugs as a crutch in life, is going to have consequences.

These emotions of not feeling worth, being sad, wanting to die are pretty normal. We're all insecure as human beings, and depending on what you've experienced in life that could make it a bit rougher for you. For example bullying, growing up in a rough household, losing someone close to you. We all have something wrong with us, we aren't supposed to be this perfect specimen, you all want to be.

Now it's your choice if you let it define you. You can make yourself wake up in the morning. You can make yourself apply for jobs. You can make yourself some breakfast. You can stop focusing on the things you dislike about yourself. You are NOT being held down against your will, you are not paralyzed and confined in your bedroom or a chair. You can start slow, think good thoughts. Think positive. I may sound ridiculous to some of you, but little things like this make a huge difference.

I was someone who never left my room, didn't eat, never changed my clothes. I wanted to end my life, I had written my letter and visualized how I would do it. I have sympathy because whether or not you believe depression is a choice, I've experienced to some extent what others have.

I'm here today because I chose not to listen to my thoughts, I chose to tell myself I had a purpose. I want to make my mother happy, and that's what keeps me happy. Getting closer and closer to goals I have set up. Yes it's not an easy process, I struggle with social anxiety as well that is self induced from the lack of socializing I did when I was younger due to my bout with "depression". I'm working in health care, which may come as a shock to you all but no I will never impose my personal beliefs of depression being a choice on anyone. I realize that's insensitive, and would be disgusting of me.

In the end I don't care if you agree with me or not, as long as you find happiness I'm happy because everyone deserves that.

• Depression the emotion is a choice but...

Depends on what kind of depression we are talking about. If it's the human emotion of being depressed which has a cause and effect then yes you have the power to choose whether you will be depressed. If we are talking a chemical imbalance due to physiological changes in the bodies brain activity then no a person does not have a choice but it can be remedied with the help of a great diet, physical exercise, abstaining from mood altering chemicals, and therapy. Some people choose drugs and in a small percentage of diagnosed depression drugs could be of assistance short or long term.

• Meanwhile... In California.

I won't lie, I am totally depressed and lonely. I will not go into the details of my current pathetic existence. However, I know what is wrong yet I am not doing anything about it. I have tools I could use to stop. (medication, habits, exercise) The "depression" isn't making me not want to be depressed. I'm just waiting...For what? I do not know. For the time being, I shall remain depressed because I choose to.

On the other hand, YOU HAVE A CHOICE FOR EVERYTHING! NO EXCUSES! Except cancer...You have no choice with cancer...

• Can we educate ourselves for once

Most ''YES'' and ''NO'' arguments are assumptions based on ''primal intuitive'' understanding of a very complex and media distorted condition. Depression IS NOT a feeling. It is not a fleeting sadness caused by external circumstances. The misuse of the term ''depression'' to refer to sadness and/or to hyperbolize a case of mere disappointment is perpetuating the idea that depression and negative feelings are one and the same when it IS NOT.

I'm also sick of people without scientific background constantly referring to depression as a chemical imbalance when the causal relationship (even correlation) between the two has never been established. The term ''chemical imbalance'' is not even labelled by the NCBI database. It shows that ''chemical imbalance'' has no scientific significance due to the lack of rigorous methodology in place to prove its existence. Psychiatry is a pseudo-science.

Depression is A NEAR-PERMANENT STATE OF BEING, OF TORMENT AND ANGUISH. I choose what I think. I choose what I do, but I don't choose how my soul gets to be tortured or what intrusive thoughts are being suggested to me. I've been living in this state, this first chapter of Hell, for more than a decade despite being ''functional'' and being able to play the role of a ''normal'' female citizen.

Ask yourselves, if I can recover in an instant, why wouldn't I choose the easiest path that leads to health? Since I have some last minute studying to do, I'm just going to leave it here.

• It Is Not

Depression, particularly depression in children, can be the result of genetics. A common trait found among persons with depressive tendencies---including suicide---is an excess of serotonin receptors in the brain. Because such individuals have this excess of receptors, they require higher quantities of serotonin (and other similar chemicals) than the average person to stabilize their mood. The only way to acquire excess serotonin receptors is to be born with them. While environmental factors can definitely contribute to a depressive personality, it is possible to be born with a predisposition to this disorder, just like schizophrenia or autism or ADHD or any like condition.

• In general, depression is not a choice to choose.

Psychologists refer occurrence of depression to numerous factors such as environment , seasons, genetics and sometimes pretence of being depressed to get advantages of people around you.
    Other considerable factor is the strong relationship between suppressed anger and being depressed.
    To sum up,Hopefully depression is diagnosable and treatable easily by referring to an specialist.

• A chemical imbalance is not a choice

If you honestly think depression is a choice, go fuck yourself. Im sure half of you have no idea how depression feels. Do you honestly think people enjoy being sad for absolutely no reason? Obviously not. Medicine has been proven to help because it is a mental disorder..A disease. If someone had cancer, would you tell them to just stop having cancer? Hell no.

• Depression deals with the brain

YOU can believe that you have depression but you cant choose it. It is said to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. So there fore I believe that it is not a choice. It can be treated but that still doesn't mean you can go out and tell everyone you have depression Yes some people have serious depression but they didn't choose.

• It is a chemical imbalance or a reaction, not a choice

While I do believe in mind over matter and that if you believe something about yourself enough then it will come true, everything happens for a reason. If you are abused as a child and you believe that you have depression then does that mean you don't have a right to your own emotions? No. It means you're reacting to something that happened and your mind is trying to cope with something that it was never meant to process. Even when nothing is going on in someone's life, and they still feel depressed (assuming it isn't due to a dopamine deficiency in their brain) boredom can also cause depression. I have been doing research on this topic for a while now and I will paste the link here. Please, read it and comment if you have any opinion in the matter. https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Ffumyk0BDCr6MP73LSNFIrfYQo8Y8Xfyw9RndJYynQ/edit?usp=sharing

• Depression is NOT a choice

When you have depression it is a chemical imbalance in your brain which causes it which you cannot choose whether it is there or not also depression can be genetically passed down sooo... That means the parents pass it down to their kids and the kids once inside of their womb don't have a choice they can still get help , yes there is help you have the choice to get HELP but you do not have the choice to have DEPRESSION , people get that mixed up by saying " its a choice you can have the choice to fix it " no it is not because you only have the choice to fix it no one said you have the choice into having depression.

• Depression is NOT a choice. It isn't a way of thinking. It's a mental illness that requires professional help.

Depression is not JUST sadness. Sadness is a part of it, but it isn't just sadness. It is a mental health disorder characterized by persistently depressed mood or loss of interest in activities, causing significant impairment in daily life. The persistent feeling of sadness or loss of interest that characterizes major depression can lead to a range of behavioral and physical symptoms. These may include changes in sleep, appetite, energy level, concentration, daily behavior, or self-esteem. Depression can also be associated with thoughts of suicide.

Why in God's name would anybody CHOOSE to suffer?! I'll wire a hundred bucks to anyone who can fight (AND WIN) depression with willpower alone.