• Depression is a choice...

In order for you not to be depressed, you can just say "I'm not depressed." It is not forced upon and you can choose not to be. It is a chemical imbalance in the that is stopped if you simply choose not to think those thoughts. Nobody forces you to think, that would be mind control, which as far as I'm aware we're all humans and animals that don't have that ability here. It can be persuaded and sometimes stronger than others, but it is laziness if you let yourself be depressed because I promise you that you don't have to be if you just get up and choose to start thinking differently.

• I'm not saying depression is not a real problem, but for the vast majority of younger teens it is usually a normal feeling

For some reason everyone around my age now has depression. And not only that, but many go straight towards drugs to try to "fix" themselves. Using drugs as a crutch in life, is going to have consequences.

These emotions of not feeling worth, being sad, wanting to die are pretty normal. We're all insecure as human beings, and depending on what you've experienced in life that could make it a bit rougher for you. For example bullying, growing up in a rough household, losing someone close to you. We all have something wrong with us, we aren't supposed to be this perfect specimen, you all want to be.

Now it's your choice if you let it define you. You can make yourself wake up in the morning. You can make yourself apply for jobs. You can make yourself some breakfast. You can stop focusing on the things you dislike about yourself. You are NOT being held down against your will, you are not paralyzed and confined in your bedroom or a chair. You can start slow, think good thoughts. Think positive. I may sound ridiculous to some of you, but little things like this make a huge difference.

I was someone who never left my room, didn't eat, never changed my clothes. I wanted to end my life, I had written my letter and visualized how I would do it. I have sympathy because whether or not you believe depression is a choice, I've experienced to some extent what others have.

I'm here today because I chose not to listen to my thoughts, I chose to tell myself I had a purpose. I want to make my mother happy, and that's what keeps me happy. Getting closer and closer to goals I have set up. Yes it's not an easy process, I struggle with social anxiety as well that is self induced from the lack of socializing I did when I was younger due to my bout with "depression". I'm working in health care, which may come as a shock to you all but no I will never impose my personal beliefs of depression being a choice on anyone. I realize that's insensitive, and would be disgusting of me.

In the end I don't care if you agree with me or not, as long as you find happiness I'm happy because everyone deserves that.

• Depression the emotion is a choice but...

Depends on what kind of depression we are talking about. If it's the human emotion of being depressed which has a cause and effect then yes you have the power to choose whether you will be depressed. If we are talking a chemical imbalance due to physiological changes in the bodies brain activity then no a person does not have a choice but it can be remedied with the help of a great diet, physical exercise, abstaining from mood altering chemicals, and therapy. Some people choose drugs and in a small percentage of diagnosed depression drugs could be of assistance short or long term.

• Meanwhile... In California.

I won't lie, I am totally depressed and lonely. I will not go into the details of my current pathetic existence. However, I know what is wrong yet I am not doing anything about it. I have tools I could use to stop. (medication, habits, exercise) The "depression" isn't making me not want to be depressed. I'm just waiting...For what? I do not know. For the time being, I shall remain depressed because I choose to.

On the other hand, YOU HAVE A CHOICE FOR EVERYTHING! NO EXCUSES! Except cancer...You have no choice with cancer...

• It Is Not

Depression, particularly depression in children, can be the result of genetics. A common trait found among persons with depressive tendencies---including suicide---is an excess of serotonin receptors in the brain. Because such individuals have this excess of receptors, they require higher quantities of serotonin (and other similar chemicals) than the average person to stabilize their mood. The only way to acquire excess serotonin receptors is to be born with them. While environmental factors can definitely contribute to a depressive personality, it is possible to be born with a predisposition to this disorder, just like schizophrenia or autism or ADHD or any like condition.

• In general, depression is not a choice to choose.

Psychologists refer occurrence of depression to numerous factors such as environment , seasons, genetics and sometimes pretence of being depressed to get advantages of people around you.
    Other considerable factor is the strong relationship between suppressed anger and being depressed.
    To sum up,Hopefully depression is diagnosable and treatable easily by referring to an specialist.

• Depression deals with the brain

YOU can believe that you have depression but you cant choose it. It is said to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. So there fore I believe that it is not a choice. It can be treated but that still doesn't mean you can go out and tell everyone you have depression Yes some people have serious depression but they didn't choose.