• Yes.

Depression is a disease, and has always been considered to be one. I do not agree with with Manik123, who likens it to pain. Pain is a symptom but depression is a disease. It has its own symptoms, and one of them can be pain. Fortunately, depression is easily curable these days with drugs like Prozac. People suffering from depression should never hesitate to seek help. There is no reason to suffer in silence, when the cure is so easily available.

• Yes Depression is an illness.

Doctors now recognize depression as a mental illness. It is more than just a fleeting emotion or mood. Clinical Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. What makes depression difficult to deal with as a sufferer, is that depression is an illness that is not visible to casual observers. Well meaning family and friends will often say things like get over it, it's all in your mind etc. You can't will your way out of depression just like you can't will your way out of any illness.

• Yes. There are many psychological, chemical, and genetic imbalances that cause depression.

Having depression is hardly just "being sad", or not being able to "get over" something. There are many factors that cause/lead to depression such as imbalance of hormones, chemicals in the brain, etc. Depression also often runs in families. Those who suffer from this type of depression can experience loss of quality of life without anything bad happening to trigger it. True depression is most definitely a disease.

• Yes it is

I have depression and I'm telling you it literally sucks, feeling like your a nobody, a total mistake and feeling as though you'd be better off dead than alive isn't normal. Depression is not a lie people say to gain a attention because most people who are depressed including myself don't want anyone to know about it, because they feel like no one understand and would also get judged. For an example when I sat my parents down and told them my little situation they judged me straight away and still do. They even pushed their luck by saying I'm a copy cat and that Christian's don't get depression. When literally anyone can. I haven't got diagnosed but I just know I have it, because no normal person would cut themselves and attempt suicide. So I find it ignorant and purely pathetic for someone to think that depression doesn't exist.

• It's not a disease of the wealthy, actually...

There is a lot of doubt and ignorance towards mental health issues... I mean, you hear people say, "not real problems" all the time... And then they like to say, "why do people in first world nations have depression more? Must be fake problem for rich folks" or something like that... But the reality is... People in POOR COUNTRIES and in POVERTY do have depression more often... Just the "statistical rates" will appear to be lower because the lack of resources, such as doctors in poorer nations... Therefore less diagnoses per capita...

1. Look at how HAPPY the average person in poor countries are compared to richer countries... A lot less happy
    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Planet_Index#2012_ranking

Look at the "Experienced Well-Being" rating because that is what shows how happy the average citizen is. It's clear that in general, countries with more poverty and less freedom have lower average happy persons ratings... Haiti 3.8, Rwanda 4.0, Syria 4.1... USA 7.2, Canada 7.7, UK 7.0... You can't compare suicide rates by countries because different rates of reporting... You'll notice many countries don't even have a reported suicide rate... Developed nations appear to have higher rates because they're better at reporting this stuff.

2. Secondly, why don't we look at the military? You wanna go tell a military veteran that... Depression or PTSD is not a real problem? Guess what? 27% of military vets suffer from depression... Guess how much the average person does? 6.7%... That means military vets are 4 times more likely to be depressed then the average American. Still don't think it's a real problem?
    > http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/military-service
    > http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/the-numbers-count-mental-disorders-in-america/index.shtml

3. Okay... Lets look at First Nation reservations, a lot of these reservations are very poor and the living conditions are rugged... "In a survey of 11,666 high school students on reservations in the United States, 21.8 per cent of girls compared to 11.8 per cent of boys reported one or more suicide attempts"... Compared to only 2.4% of students not on these reserves
    > http://www.ahf.ca/downloads/suicide.pdf
    > http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/suicide_datasheet-a.pdf

4. Even within cities, the more poor areas with crime and social issues... Have higher suicide rates. Look at Winnipeg, the clusters of "Point Douglas" and "Downtown" are the most povertized, and they also have the highest suicide and attempted suicide rates... The most affluent clusters have the lowest rates (ie: Fort Garry, Assiniboine South)...
    > http://myuminfo.umanitoba.ca/Documents/2080/Winnipeg%20Suicide%20Data%20WRHA%20MCHP%20May%2016%202008.pdf

5. What about refugees? Guess what? Refugees... Have higher rates of depression and other mental illnesses, then non-refugees... Refugees who come from poor and war-torn countries
    > http://refugeehealthta.org/physical-mental-health/mental-health/

But okay... According to some of y'all, it's a fake problem created by rich people... The reality is posted above... And the second piece of reality is you can't just a person until you've been in there shoes. Ain't NO ONE wanna be depressed, if a depressed person could choose to be happy... Then guess what? They would choose to be happy. Not sure how this basic logic passes some of y'all...

• Not a disease of the wealthy, actually...

There is a lot of doubt and ignorance towards mental health issues... I mean, you hear people say, "not real problems" all the time... And then they like to say, "why do people in first world nations have depression more? Must be fake problem for rich folks" or something like that... But the reality is... People in POOR COUNTRIES and in POVERTY do have depression more... Just the "statistical rates" will appear to be lower because the lack of resources, such as doctors in poorer nations... Therefore less diagnoses per capita... Look at how HAPPY the average person in poor countries are compared to richer countries... A lot less happy

Look at the "Experienced Well-Being" rating because that is what shows how happy the average citizen is. It's clear that countries with more poverty and less freedom have lower average happy persons ratings...

Secondly, why don't we look at the military? You wanna go tell a military veteran that... Depression or PTSD is not a real problem? Guess what? 27% of military vets suffer from depression... Guess how much the average person does? 6.7%... That means military vets are 4 times more likely to be depressed then the average American. Still don't think it's a real problem?

Okay... Lets look at First Nation reservations, a lot of these reservations are very poor and the living conditions are rugged... "In a survey of 11,666 high school students on reservations in the United States, 21.8 per cent of girls compared to 11.8 per cent of boys reported one or more suicide attempts"

• Yes it is...

People in the military have higher suicide rates... People living in the povertized First Nation reservations in Canada and the USA have higher suicides rate. People in Greenland and Nunavut have higher suicide rates. None of these places are "paradises", contrary to some peoples perspective, poor folks in first world countries have depression and suicide rates much higher then those who are more well-off.

Depression is real, depression is not "a bad day", depression is not "being sad", depression is a lot worse... But again, if it isn't real... Tell the military veterans who suffer from it... But you know, I'd bet y'all wouldn't say that...

• It is real

What a happy time it is to have a beautiful baby, specially when you are looking forward to motherhood and dreaming of tiny hands and tiny feet snuggled around you.
    Yet it is not always happy. Look at the case of Postpartum depression. A mother almost never thinks of it, the maternal instincts (and flurry of hormonal changes) are always guided towards the best interest of the baby and while doing so, mum's often end up ignoring their own personal needs. Sometimes the hormonal change is so dramatic to cope with that mum's end of taking their own lives.

I am one such mum, and I have survived so far. I have ignored my mental health as being baby-blues initially and was later snubbed by society as being lazy and whiny (well i take care of a child single handed 24 hrs 7 days a week, my baby is growing very well. I take care of my house, things are clean, dishes are washed, laundry is done and arranged and food is cooked, all this without any help or support from anyone else) I am just not having enough hours in the day to go out and take a run or workout to reduce my post-baby belly (which looks awful) but by no means I am lazy.

I am whiny because I need help and I ask for it despite having no proper support system. On top of it I am studying too and a researcher it is nearly impossible for me to concentrate on my
    papers if my baby is whinning, or even giggling (those can be so contagious and inviting).

SO after 10 months I broke down, it just got too much, and i contemplated suicide. And for the first time my GP really thought that I am a classic case of postpartum depression which is by no means baby blues and by no means my under-assumed inability to cope. My hormonal level is so ipsy tipsy that it does not allow me to be happy (I just do not have happiness or excitement hormones being realized as much in my body, even if I go for a laughter class or a yoga meditation). My maternal hormones on other side are so strong that they always keep me anxious about my child.

Yes you may say it is a phase and it may pass, but so is a Flu if it passes it passes, if it stays on it can lead to fatal complications even (in depression the fatal complication is the successful attempt at suicide)

And today I have no shame is saying, that yes

• Depression is real

I feel like too many pull the cancer (or major diseases) deal. A disease is a disease, whether it can shorten life, or just be something you live with. I can't say I actively wake up and say "HEY. I'm gonna be super sad today!". That isn't something I go out of my way to choose, it just happens

• Depression is real

• Compared to cancer? No way.

You can not compare depression to cancer... Cancer is a physical disease. Your body is literally fighting itself and shutting down. Depression is mental. It is an emotion. Loss in everyday activity? Perhaps it is because you do not feel fulfilled or because your everyday actives are not appealing any longer. There is an imbalance in our society... Between materialism and the natural world. Stop buying things and consuming... Instead go on a walk in a forest or something. We all come from the Earth, and I believe in something that many people in the modern world have lost, and that is that true contentment lies in nature. I honestly believe with every fiber of my being that a person could overcome depression if they dedicated their LIFE to being happy. But people just don't want to, they want to go to the doctor and take pills and feel better. The pharmaceutical companies have brainwashed you into taking the easy way out. Feeling sad? Put some effort into changing your life. Don't cover it up with medications.

• Created by media, pharmaceutical companies and our attention-seeking society

‘Depression’ cannot be proved physically, mentally, spiritually, or in any way shape or form because it does not exist. It is simply a selfish cry for attention. The ‘chemical imbalance’ that is supposedly fixed by pharmaceuticals has made their respective companies wealthy, they make money off narrow-minded and selfish people’s inability to cope with disappointment and failure, with loss, with hardship. Quite ridiculous to claim that a chemical imbalance or genetics causes hardship in life, bad relationships, failure in career and social aspects. Everyone has bad days. People in third world countries have a lot more than any depressed person ever could, but a 'chemical imbalance’ in their brain and ‘depression genes' didn’t cause their hardship, suffering, or all the suicide’s that happen over there. THEIR LACK OF HUMANITY DID. Lack of food, lack of purpose, lack of clothing, lack of education, diseases, lack of medicine, lack of water. Not that any person who claims to be depressed would ever be able to comprehend that there are other people in the world let alone that people go without everything they have.
    People kill themselves because they don’t want to live. How do people try and save depressed people? They talk to them, buy them nice things, look after them, get them medical treatment. Depression is nothing more that a figment of selfish and deluded dimwits imagination. Enjoy making the rich richer while you buy into this whole concept of depression is real and I need depression medication. Everyone has bad days, everyone could describe being depressed at some point.
    Feel sad about things, thats normal. A normal response to something that needs to be changed. But don’t whinge and whine and demand attention for your fake ‘condition’ or ‘disease’ or what ever you call it. Honestly couldn’t be a bigger waste of space, air, resources

• Personal Experience - NO WAY.

I have gotten depressed to the point of not being able to function at times. But I happen to be transsexual (a girl trapped in a man's body).

^^That sucks. It is so humiliating to never be referred to by the pronouns I identify with.

Whether people think transsexuality is a mental illness or not (which it's NOT), homosexuality is a lot more accepted by people than it used to be (note: sexual orientation and gender identity are completely different).

But the point is: being in the closet isn't fun. And being out of the closet still isn't fun.

It's fun when you can be you, but as soon as people become super-duper mean to you, it can be hell.

I've been depressed most of my life. BUT - I've also been closeted most of my life. And I'm still depressed (because being transsexual is a bit more complicated than simply coming out because you still LOOK like a guy until you have a lot of time to transition into looking more feminine by surgical and hormonal means).

If I was gay (I'm not) instead of trans, I would've been depressed most of the time in the closet but "almost instantaneously" un-depressed upon coming out.

Since I'm trans, it's taking a lot longer.

But no matter what any INSANE PSYCHOLOGIST THINKS ABOUT DEPRESSION BEING AN ILLNESS, it is NOT.

The BRAIN definitely has chemical changes in it **DURING** depressed times.

But when you get UN-DEPRESSED (by removing the depression-trigger-events) than it reverts to normal.

Taking medicine to "fix you" doesn't work because the source of the "chemical imbalance in the brain" during depression isn't the brain not working correctly because it's messed up --> the SOURCE is the TRIGGER EVENTS (humiliation from society, poverty, struggling to feed yourself, having no friends, etc. ALL ROLLED INTO ONE).

• No, depression is not an illness.

People romanticizing sadness in novels and poetry does not count as depression. Being sad can happen when you lose a loved one, or are going through a hard time, but it is simply sadness. There isn't a disease where you are too happy for too long, but there is with sadness? Nowadays people act like having depression is like having a designer handbag. It is only real because people sit and pity themselves and do nothing about it, and that should not be diagnosed with anything except being plain lazy.

• What the West doesn't understand

If you have a roof over your head, a bed and food on your table and they won't likely disappear any day soon, then you don't have a reason to be depressed.

The "depression is a disease" fallacy is most likely used by people who happen to hit a bump in their life and seek forgiveness or salvation in made up diseases that'll magically justify them not doing anything and just waiting to be "fixed".

The irony is that believing that depression is a biological disease is more of a disease than the "disease" itself. If you're depressed, fix your life because it won't fix itself.

• Depression Is Not An Illness

This is very similar to pain. Pain is a signal that tissue is being damaged and that urgent action is needed. For instance, if you touch a hot stove, the pain induces an immediate reaction to pull your hand away. Usually this is accomplished with minimal damage to the skin. Without pain, we would not respond as quickly to these kinds of situations, and we would incur a great deal more tissue damage than is actually the case.

• Being Sad Is Not An Illness

And that's what depression is being very very sad. Happy and sad are subjective human evaluations. You can change it by renaming it. Say I'm happy with everything, I am happy with everything because I choose to be happy with everything, happiness is no different from approving of something, so I just approve of everything(note this doesn't mean you behave as if you are approving in every situation, you may have to tell your employee off for shoddy work and disapprove of that but I mean you approve of the experience you are having). It works. If it works the way it should in time you realize that there is a second happy which is really a reified(reification is what happens when people treat abstractions like they are tangible objects) form of happiness everyone mistakes for the real thing but is just a feeling of having energy that society teaches subconsciously to associate with the word "happiness". So now I'm happy all the time in the first sense, not always the second but more and more, though the focus is not on increasing reified happiness, that's just a stimulation tool that I use towards goal-fulfillment.

• A disease of the wealthy

People all across the world are reportedly gaining this illness, the thing all these victims have in common are a) spare time and b) affluence.

You're 14 and feeling anxious, lethargic and depressed? Welcome to being a teenager. Step away from the computer, get more exercise, get up early, sleep more and most importantly, keep yourself busy. If you sit around all day thinking about how things haven't gone to plan, of course you'll feel down.

• Depression isn't real

Being sad is not an illness. If you have a good home and enough food to eat then you have no reason to be 'depressed'. It has become some sort of trend now to act 'depressed' and lots of teenagers claim to have it and cut themselves just to fit in. It is stupid. Snap out of it, you are all tricking yourselves.

• In the mind

Why are poor countries less susceptible to depression than people in the western world? I was born in Zimbabwe and we don't recognize mental illness, and we have faith. When I moved to Australia I started hearing this word depression, and 15 years later I still find it hard to believe it's a medicated illness.