• Yes, he is.

He is not only an elite shortstop but also on of the greatest baseball players of all time. I think he could still have a few more good years in him, but I understand the desire to retire especially because of how long he has dedicated his life to the sport.

• Yes, I do believe that Derek Jeter is an elite shortstop in the MLB.

Yes, the success of Derek Jeter in the MLB is a testament to his ability not only as a batter, but also as a short stop. The skill with which Jeter plays, in addition to the commitment and that he shows during every single game, is a clear show of the strong player that Jeter exemplifies.

• Derek Jeter is still Elite

''You try to carry yourself the right way. I've always tried to do that,'' Jeter said. ''Then again, at the same time, I am who I am. I don't try to be any different. If people respect you for the way that you carry yourself, it means a lot to me and it means a lot to my family. It makes you feel good.''

Derek Jeter is and will always be known as an elite short stop. The way he conducts himself on and off the field is what people admire and the many years he has put into his craft. He has continually made the all star game every year which already shows he can still play at a elite level.

• No, Jeter is past his prime.

Derek Jeter is one of the best shortstops in the history of baseball. However, age and injuries have contributed to a decline in his skills. His batting average has fallen in recent years. More importantly, his range at shortstop is not what is used to be. He recognized reality and is going out while still playing well.