Is direct popular voting - as opposed to the electoral college - the best system of voting?

• Yes

Issues are rarely ever state-specific anymore. They were back before slavery was abolished and that's why we have the electoral college. It's part of the package of policies put into the Constitution early on so the southern states could feel secure that their right to own slaves wouldn't be taken away. We should switch to direct popular vote AND we should switch to instant run-off voting (ranking candidates and transferring votes from the last place candidate until of the votes that are left there is a clear majority for one candidate). Together these policies would mark the end of the two-party system allowing several candidates to run against each other with no spoiler effect.

• Absolutely, yes

The electoral college makes it seem as if each individual vote doesn't count because in the end, it doesn't. Direct popular voting however gives purpose to each and every individual vote so it is more decided on what the people want and not who the political leaders want. While most of the time the political vote and electoral college match up, that does not always happen. It's best to just go with popular vote.

Posted by: jus
  • Yes

One way in which a minority president could be elected is if the country were so deeply divided politically that three or more presidential candidates split the electoral votes among them such that no one obtained the necessary majority.Opponents of the Electoral College are further concerned about its possible role in depressing voter turnout. Their argument is that, since each State is entitled to the same number of electoral votes regardless of its voter turnout, there is no incentive in the States to encourage voter participation.

• One person, one vote. Nothing else is needed

One citizen, one vote! The electoral college is a nasty hangover from the time when the government believed the majority of the populace was too stupid to elect their own leaders. We aren’t, and the popular vote must rule. It gives every citizen more incentive to vote, because their vote will definitely matter. We are all educated, at least up to a point, and the outcome will affect all of us. We should all vote and know that our votes are important.

• Yes direct popular voting is the best system of voting.

Yes, I believe direct popular voting is a better system of voting. Living in a large state, I feel like my individual vote does not count. My state has a lot of minorities who make up a big number for my state, and if my vote does not agree with theirs, it does not matter and my vote does not count, and their vote controls how our state votes. I believe more people would vote if it was direct poular voting because they would feel their vote counted more. Some states are so democratic or republican, that if you were the other party, you vote is pretty much worthless.

• Not Really

No, direct popular voting - as opposed to the Electoral College – is not the best system of voting. Theory has it that direct popular voting is not a fair system because there is a chance that the votes from the largest states could elect a specific candidate, thereby canceling out the votes from some of the smallest states. The Electoral College was created to ensure each state was equally represented regardless of size. To date, no one has been able to come up with an easier or fairer method.