Is Disney Princess Culture Bad for Our Daughters?

Asked by: NewSoul95
  • There is sexism on men and women , racism on dark skinned and Asians etc.

It can also leave disappointment when.....You know.
    It makes them feel like they can do anything, we'll you can, but when they get lazy for it, and depend on it too much.
    I don't recommend daughters to watch a lot of them, as they may be ....Different .. Even a feminist.
    It's okay if it shows stuff about friendship and so,

• Disney life is too perfect

Girls should not be brought up like they are princesses or anything. They should also stop thinking there's a Prince Charming with perfect characteristics that will sweep them off their feet to take them to their fairyland castle. Many of the aberrant behavior these kinds of women foster is high expectations and a haughty attitude even though they do not possess any true noble qualities.

• Do we really want our daughters to be idolising doormat, size zero, beautiful women? Who wait for their Prince to fix their problems?

.They present a bad body image
    .The good guys are pretty while the bad guys are ugly. Do you to teach your child this?
    . Most Princess don't lift a finger to save themselves, they wait for their Prince to save them
    I don't think they are good figures for a 21st Century World
    What do you think?

• In Disney films from the last century, there were a lot of mistakes, but now Disney's on the right path

Disney has always succeeded in putting female characters at the centre of their stories, something relatively unheard of in the children's genre in which most stories had male protagonists. However, in films such as 'Snow White' and 'Sleeping Beauty' there was a theme of "waiting for the man to save the day". In the more modern production 'The Little Mermaid', Ariel sacrifices her most precious trait (her captivating singing voice) to be with a man she doesn't know. This behaviour does not set a good example to young girls. Despite this, with films such as 'Frozen' and 'Tangled' we see young female characters going out into the world, not for men but for themselves. They are the heroes of the story and can definitely be viewed as positive role models. What is left for Disney to tackle is their unrealistic 'beauty' expectations that it broadcasts. All their female protagonists are ridiculously slim, teaching girls that that is the way you should be. What Disney needs it a UK Size 14 (the average size for women in the UK), mixed race, homoromantic couple and then we'll know we're really making some progress. With the advances made in recent years, I think we won't have long to wait.

• It does more good than harm

If you were to take away the disney princess franchise, there's not really all that much left for young girls in the way of role models in the media. There are many unhealthy values promoted through the disney princess franchise, that's indesputable, however the latest few films have taken a step in the right direction. 'Frozen', 'The Princess and the Frog', and 'Tangled' all depict princesses who are independant, and have dreams and aspirations outside of finding a prince and living 'happily ever after'. If it weren't for disney princess culture, what media role models are there left for girls to look up to? I'd rather my daughter grew up wanting to be like Tiana -- hard-working and dedicated -- than with barely anyone in the media to look up to at all.

• You worry too much

Children, while susceptible, are not THAT susceptible. If their parents are good role models then it shouldn't matter what they are watching on TV, as the children are more likely to follow in their parents foot steps than a cartoon. Don't blame a bit of harmless idealism when the real problem lies elsewhere.

• Self-esteem is Instilled by Parents

If we're going to attack Disney Princess Culture then we might as well attack all other industries that portray women unrealistically. None of them ever feature models that resemble me, EVER. However, despite it all I still managed to grow up with my self-esteem in tact as well as hold realistic views on love and relationships. I have my parents to thank for that.