• Only unoffensive if you enjoy the torture of Black People

No amount of 'comedy' will make up for the gross depiction of black humiliation, beating, torture & death throughout the entire film. If this was meant as a serious story telling film I would be more inclined to acceptance but you cant mix the above realistic humiliation of black people with humor, it just doesnt work.

• Disrespectful...

Critics try to say that it was sort of a positive change because of the fact that the lead character (Django), a black slave, was put in a position of authority almost equal to the status of a white man, however, they fail to point out the fact that the entire time he's off playing Tonto to Dr Schultz, he's still a slave. Schultz, even as an abolitionist still sees Django as less than a man; he offers him a salary of less than half when Django is putting is life on the line just as much, if not more than Schultz. It's an utter mockery of the struggle of my ancestors. So in conclusion I ask WTF?!?

• Offensive to My ANCESTORS!

All kinds of wrong in this movie. It reminded me of the black exploitation movies from the 70s. Shame on the actors! As a people, we should not allow "others" to profit off a movie that reflects on a period of time when atrocious crimes where committed against OUR ancestors. Not to mention the use of comedy. Who do you think your talking saying I don't think the movie is offensive and I'm Jewish... stay in your lane!

• Django Unchained Was Offensive

Django Unchained was indeed an offensive movie. It has not been out that long and people are already starting to complain about it. Some people are upset about some of the language used in the movie and Spike Lee put out a statement about how the movie tries to downplay Slavery of blacks in America.

• Irrelevance of the Main character

First and foremost I am a fan of vengeance and revolutionary film ranging from El che, count of monte christo to Braveheart. Upon seeing the trailer I thought I was going to see a fictional satire of a slave empowered by devine intervention to fight against his supressors. Instead I was shoch to see that the most relevant character in the film was the dentist who chose to go against the norm in fighting against his own race which at the time would cause both characters to be lynched. Django (Jamie Fox) lacks the charisma to take the lead role. Well I guess one can't make movie regarding slavery without having a white hero. That is why a movie about Toussaint Louverture a true Django story of a slave who rose to dethrone his oppressor have never been mentioned in films. I now agree with Spike lee that the film is an insult to people of African descent.

• Stand alone representation

For most people who are not completely clued up about this period of history - Django as a stand alone representation to them is completely inappropriate - i enjoyed the movie from the stand point of i understand the plight of my ancestors for others who don't - if this is the first thing they think of when it comes to the transatlantic slave trade, then thats a complete JOKE.
    Lets see a film of the Haitian Revolution please...

• Double standards are at play.

People are really getting hurt from a movie about two people who fight slaves? Wow. And black people say the "n word" ALL the time, but it's wrong if white people say it. Double standards. Hypocritical. Need I say more? Grow up, it's the 2010s, only an extreme few are racist anymore, stop pulling the race card.

• Not offensive

It wasnt offensive! I'm Jewish, and thought "Inglourious Basterds" was an amazing movie, and I wasn't offended by it at all. It wasn't meant to be a documentary, and I don't think it was meant to make light of a serious piece of history. It was just a movie. Honestly, movies like "The Blind Side" and "The Help" seem much more offensive to me. The black people in those movies have passive roles, and it's the white lead characters that are making the positive changes. At least Django's hero was actually black and the one saving the day.

• It was not offensive.

I just saw the movie not thirty minutes ago. It did not downplay the vulgarity and cruelty of slavery. In fact, I feel like it did the opposite. There's a scene where Django is pleading for his wife to be spared a whipping, and its heart wrenching. There's a lot of heart wrenching scenes.

Is it bloody? Yes. Is it morbid? Yes. Is it entertaining? Yes. But is it pandering or unjustified in its portrayal of slavery? I would certainly say not. There's a grittiness that most movies avoid that Django doesn't. Of course, it has that over-the-top Tarantino flair, but slavery is never, ever, seen as a lighthearted or romanticized subject.

Great movie! Definitely worth watching.

• It was funny as hell...

I was surrounded by African American folks at the movie theater, and some of them did seem offended by the N word being thrown around, but they all did applaud at the end. So it must not have been that bad. Very well scripted and acted out. A must see movie.

• no i don't see the movie as offensive

I do not think the movie was personally offensive and I am an african american woman. i can see how it can offend some people who aren't comfortable with history, but I think it was a pretty artistic take on the background of african americans. With fiction comes offense. I say if a story offends someone they at least did something right.

• Just calm down!

People need to chill out acting like this movie is sooooo bad. Is this not how it was? This film wasn't made to disgrace a race. It's simply a spaghetti western in which slavery is the main plot. Give it a rest it's a movie! The black guy is the protagonist, that's a nice step forward from the usual "dying first". He called people "whitey" and "honky" but that's okay? Regardless the film was well written, directed, and acted! Love it!

• Not OFFENSIVE. The Movie Story PROVES IT

The movie is not offensive. For one thing.. It's a movie. Another it's about a slave who kills white people. I'm not white or black but to me if anything the movie was pure genius. A heroic act of a slave that saves his wife from slavery and a white German man saves him and even dies for him. The movie was beautiful and amazing... if you can't see that. You might as well never watch a movie again.

• British African Not Offended - cried, laughed, reflected

Spontaneously went to watch it in the cinema today after a couple of colleagues recommended it. Did I find it offensive? No. Was if offensive? Well, that's a more complex question; firstly there's the question of intent, and then there's the issue of whether it causes offence regardless of Tarantino's intent. On the former, I don't think the movie spreads a message of hate, neither does it encourage bigotry, nor does it trivialise the atrocities of slavery. So I don't think it was meant to be offensive. Does it cause offense? Well, there's no history of slavery in my ancestry (I don't think so anyway) but if it was probable that my great great great great ancestor was kidnapped, shackled and shipped of to an alien land and then worked to death not without an awful amount of emotional and physical amount of abuse, I'd probably be offended that some Hollywood director is making a buck from entertaining people telling a very personal story that is raw in my family tree. I thought the story was heart wrenching, funny, cheesy, sweet all at the same time. And it is a reminds us all of atrocities committed. It was shocking and horrifying and really uncomfortable to watch at times - a visual that will be etched in our conscience so that we never let it happen again - to anyone anywhere.

• Fantasy vs reality

Django isn’t meant to be realistic anymore than “Springtime for Hitler,” “Machete,” “Borat,” "Inglourious Bastards," “Moulin Rouge,” or "Batman" are. I thought anyone with sense could tell that it is fantasy-loaded and historically inaccurate on 1st glance.

Like a fantasy in your head of what you daydream or wish. Like when someone screws you over & you think man I'd like to run over that guy...but you don't kill people in the real world.

It isn't the real world anymore than Kansas having twisters that send you to OZ.