Is doing volunteer work ultimately a selfish act?

• Volunteering is both selfish and defiant to utilitarianism

I mean no offense to anyone helping the needy - you are upholding the moral values of our society, helping your fellow man; however, ethics are a human construct, and I don't believe that they should supercede the laws of nature.

Evolution is the process of a species adapting to fit the demands of its environment. Defying the natural order of things will only force our existence into decadence. For example, by giving aid to and funding heroin addicts, we not only allow them to further exacerbate their lifestyle, but give them the opportunity to pass negative traits onto offspring, like susceptibility to addiction.

As a human, I do not wish death upon any member of my species, however, those that cannot adapt to the modern environment on their own, in the eyes of nature, must perish for the species to thrive.

• Yes, it is.

Not to put someone volunteering down, but in the end you are truly doing it for yourself. When someone volunteers they get some sort of self satisfaction for what they did. This is not a bad thing as many things we do that are good for us and people around us are very selfish things.

• No, I disagree

Although volunteering may feel like a waste of time, I disagree with you as far as it being selfish. How is helping someone for a good cause selfish? Im not understanding that concept. No one is required to volunteer unless you are a criminal and you have to do it.

• No,doing volunteer work is not ultimately a selfish act.

No,doing volunteer work is not ultimately a selfish act.Some people may say that people volunteer for selfish reasons but in the end the volunteer work does help other people so there's no way that critics can say that it is a totally selfish endeavor when there is love involved in the action.

• Not at all

There are people that do volunteer work for the wrong reasons, such to be praised. They are selfish. That doesn't make all volunteer work selfish though, it's a little silly to look at it that way. Volunteer work does a lot of good in the world, it's not right to frown on it in such a way.

• No, not at all.

I think volunteer work is as selfless as it gets. Of course there are going to be cases where it is done for selfish reason or notoriety or personal gain, but most people who donate time and effort for free are doing so with good intent and for good reason.

• Volunteer work is not selfish

It is my opinion that volunteer work is not a selfish act. I believe that volunteering to do charity work is ultimately for the good of others. In most cases, volunteer work does not involve any sort of compensation, by definition. Therefore any work done is for the good of the beneficiaries of the work.