• It is illegal

Downloading music from the Internet is illegal. You can get fined if you are caught. The fact is per song that is downloaded from the Internet can cost you $62,000. It is also known that if music from the Internet is downloaded illegally Internet users can get banned from the Internet. Now think about it this way, buying music off of iTunes or other legal sites is less expensive than being fined, 24 songs on iTunes cost you $24, downloading illegally can cost up to $62,000.

• Yes totes magotes

First of all people get arrested for illegal things like this ALOT! Sadly, some people do it without even know it's illegal! D`: POOR PEOPLE!!!
    Anyways...
    Yes, I agree that downloading music from the Internet without permission is wrong because it directly violates copyright law.

I think downloading music from the Internet without permission is wrong because it directly and intentionally violates copyright law. This law was made for a reason. Artists work hard to make music and no one would make a living from it if it were all free. Just like a painting, music is art and is meant to be shared through sales. People are meant to buy what they're interested in, not steal it. This way, the buyer is happy with their purchase and the artist makes a living. Downloading is stealing and takes money away from the artist.

Downloading licensed music from the Internet, without permission, is wrong, as a lot of time and money is put into producing that music, with the expectation that those that want to hear it will pay for the privilege.
    Because music, like any other tangible good, costs money to create, I do think it is wrong for people to download free, illegal copies of music, without permission from its owners and creators. If the people creating the music cannot profit off of it, then obviously they cannot continue to create it.
    Doing anything, or downloading anything, that you have not paid the creator for is wrong.

It is stealing. No less, no more. If you do that in a store, then you go to jail. Why does that not apply to the things people take from the Internet without paying for, when they should be? If the company or person wants to give it away for free, then fine, more power to them. But, to just take it from them, when it is their livelihood, that is really wrong.

• Its illegal and not within your rights

Stealing music is like stealing a cd from a shop. Although the artists still have the original copy they aren't getting any credit for their hard work. It is easier to access free music on the internet than stealing from a shop because you are unlikely to get caught and this is why many people steal. So of couse it is stealing because you don't have permission to dowload it.

• Artists dont get paid the money that they deserve.

You have to pay for a concert, and cds so what gives you the right not to pay for the mucis that YOU listen too? Artists and producers dont get the money that they deserve for working and creating music. They make the music for our benefit so why not give them some credit for it? The artist do Not originally intend for there music to be given out or downloaded for free otherise they would of all already put it on the internet and made it LEGAL to download. In conclsion, other peole can NOT sell the artists hard work and effort for free, we SHOULD pay and give them some credit.

• you wouldn't steal a CD from a shop

Theft is theft... if some one has gone to the trouble of creating something of their own, it is their decision whether or not they would like to charge money for it. Downloading music illegally completely disregards this and thus is considered theft. Would you steal a CD from a store? The only reason people are downloading music illegally is because of its accessibility, which does not change the fact that it is wrong.

• Yes, downloading music without permission from the internet is wrong.

Many people that work in the music industry work hard to make their living and is only fair to pay for a service that is not meant to be free. Although it can be easier to just download the music than it is to buy it, not only do you put yourself in danger (legal charges) but also the safety of your computer.

• 'Without permission' means it was not within your right to do so

And when we do something that was not within our right to do, it is wrong. The fact that permission is a condition upon downloading music online means that the artist/music company did not intend for the product to be used by those who don't adhere to their laid agreements. This doesn't mean that the product isn't available to everyone. It can be targeted at all people, but just that certain conditions need to be met before access is gained to it. But the question is also, of course, who's permission? It wouldn't matter if your bestfriend did not give you permission to download music from the internet if the artist gave this to all its online fans without charges of any sort. The creation of music can be considered the artists gift to only its buyers. As for the buyers, once the gift is theirs, they have the right to let others borrow it (e.g. playing music in stores and people listening to it, or sharing cds with friends), or to give it to others to keep as a gift too, but as soon as a copy is made of it without permission and imparted to somebody else, this is equal to stealing from the artist something which should have been given as a gift.

• caca

There are people in my apartment complex who do burn movies and albums and sell them for 5 dollars a pop. I think this is wrong, because this person is charging for something that they did not create. However, the music I have downloaded in the past was for my own enjoyment, because the cost of music now is ridiculous. Also, sometimes, you might like only a certain selection of songs on a CD, instead of the whole CD. So, downloading music allows you to be picky and choose what you want. Until the music companies make it so that you can only pay for what you want.

• If you can download it, and copy a disc from it, then yes, it is wrong.

Spotify will not let you save music to your computer and copy it onto a disc. So lets keep that in mind. if you were selling a product for money, and you found that it had somehow got leaked onto the internet for free usage, would you be mad? I know i would

• Doing anything, or downloading anything, that you have not paid the creator for is wrong.

Posted by: OvalKurtis26
  • No come on...

All the people in the world do this... And no body has gotten caught or being fined for it because no one cares it is a song get over it!! It is not like we bombed Vietnam and tried to kill the President it is one or two songs on a phone

• Public performances played

No it is not illegal because musicians perform their music to the general public. Anything that is out to the public audience for the public audience it is no longer private and therefore does not need to be illegal to download for the public audience because one person can buy a cd or a song on iTunes and then share it with his/her friends just by burning cds or downloading onto another computer or smart phone.

• Why should it be?

I think that getting music off the Internet and then being told that your stealing it is wrong. You get to listen to the radio for free, Pandora radio is free, and so are many other sites. Nut heaven forbid you download a site that will allow you download the song so that you can listen to you favorite artist. Then the other theory is that not everyone nor children have the money they want to charge for music cd's. So those people get punished and do not get to listen to their favorite artist because they can not afford it. Is that really fair? Its better than people committing real crimes. It is ridiculous how much money the artists have and they want to complain about people loving their music so much they will do anything to hear it. They do illegal things all the time and because they are famous they get a slap on the wrist but watch a person download music and its like they just murdered the president.

• Here's the deal---

If I'm not profiting from getting the music, then why should that be wrong? The only one who gets hurt from "pirating" music are the people who already have an insane amount of money.
    Just because something is illegal doesn't make it wrong. Hell, Gay-Marriage is illegal, but why should we restrict them basic human rights (one being the pursuit of happiness).
    It's not hurting anybody.
    I just think people that if they "have" to pay for music, so should everyone else. Which is stupid.

• Music is expression... Why should you have to pay for it when it's been out forever!

Well, think about it. There are websites that are allowed to share music. Such as Sound cloud. They allow you to upload music of any kind. Their terms and policy means nothing really. They can't catch every user that uploads music that can be downloaded- which you can be fined for. However, so many people download music and not everyone is caught. I mean can you say downloading music is illegal and only fine a few. I don't see how that's right. I mean really, it's no different then any other minor offense. If you allow one to get away with it then what's the point of the law. The more laws against music downloaded or parking rights is why so many people get tickets and fines. I like my music. I don't want to get fined for liking music. I mean seriously. I don't see what's wrong with it. I understand to the musician they don't gain profit from people downloading their music free, but hey, plenty of people go to concerts, autograph signings and such, I don't see how they loose any sort of money. They simply just don't gain any. I know my arguments kind of weak really, but Whatever.... :)

• It's too overpriced anyways!

It's almost as if Apple and Google are stealing anyways by the outrageous prices of music. If listening to music for free on the radio is not wrong, why should downloading free music be? I'm not gonna pay 1.29 for a song when I can get it for free. That's capitalism.

• The world has moved on

Ever since downloading music for free became a valid option, I havent paid a penny for any music I currently have on my phone. However, thats not to say I havent given money to artists one way or another - I've attended concerts, festivals, and watched ads on youtube - all of which I wouldnt have done if I hadnt had free access to the music in the first place.

People who say 'the industry would die' are deluded. Firstly, if the artists are making music purely for financial gain, I dont want to buy it anyway - and certainly the media fat cats may take a pay-cut but no one would complain about that. Artists that love music will still make it (truly talented people like Ed Sheeran) - and will still be richly rewarded through concert sales, merchandise and you tube revenue etc.

In a few years, charging for music will seem antiquated and old fashioned.

• I-legal, but not wrong.

It may be copyright, but it shouldn't be illegal. If you download something which shouldn't be downloaded, it is not your fault, but the person who put it there. Also, how are you stealing it, if you are only using it for personal use. It is obviously not stealing. Therefore, it is not immoral.

• Overall it is better for the musician

When people download music without permission, the only entity being hurt is the recording industry middleman (the pimps). Musicians make the majority of their money from performing and one of the best way a musician can ensure that they make money while performing is to get their music out there, via radio, add's, movies and TV and yes downloading (#2 in the world). If you ever notice when anything is written about piracy of music, it comes from the RIAA and never does a real musician get up and complain. They already know that the RIAA rips them off hugely for music sales and really cares only about themselves over the musician. If there was no middleman pimp business for the music industry, then I'd support paying for every song and album, and mind you the prices would be reasonable ($00.50 for a song), but as long as the "pimps" are in the business, I have no respect for them or sympathy for that matter.

• I wouldn't say it is, not at all.

Think of it like this, as this is how it mostly applies to people that do it. I go into HMV, buy one copy of a CD, and magically start mass producing them, right there in the store, by creating duplicates out of thin air. I then hand these out to random people on the street, that will certainly take a free copy, but would not have gone out of their way to buy one. Have HMV lost out? No. 1 copy has been paid for. The other copies shouldn't even exist, but now they do, so no-one is losing out financially, as the other copies wouldn't have been paid for anyway. Many of these people may come to like the music that was shared with them, and even pay money to attend a concert of that artist at some point. If anything, these artists have gained free publicity. Oh deary me, but I guess depriving multi-millionaire co-corporations and artists of only having two TV's in their private jets that take them on their monthly trips to their secluded mansion in the Caribbean, is just terrible of me.

Anonymous says2013-05-01T16:49:42.833
I think the no people are right!