• Music is music, no matter what is used.

If it's called music, it's music. It doesn't matter how much you hate it, it doesn't matter how annoying it sounds-- it's still music. If sounds are manipulated to create melodies and a rhythm: it's music. If it's screaming and drums are bashing everywhere: it's music. By saying dubstep is just "computer noises", you're saying practically every song nowadays isn't music. Hear that awesome bass drum in that new trap song? That's computers making noise. Hear those lyrics in the new song? That's a computer mastering and making the sound clear. If you think dubstep has no emotion, you're not listening to dubstep-- you're probably listening to brostep.

• Read the Definitions

Dubstep is defined as "a form of dance music, typically instrumental, characterized by a sparse, syncopated rhythm and a strong bassline." Wait, read that again. A form of dance what? A form of dance MUSIC. Dubstep uses REAL instruments, just for the people that know nothing about creating it, such as a synthesizer (which by the way is only a keyboard with special effects). Dubstep, and electronic music as a whole, is only rejected because of its recency. Classical musicians such as Bach and Mozart were rejected at first. Hiphop artists in its urban origins were rejected. Metal artists in the 80s were rejected. Classical music is all about emotion. Hiphop started as "being the minority." Metal is all about taking things to the next level. Dubstep is all about having a good time. May I remind you dubstep started in South London DANCE CLUBS? Music is music, but yes there are opinions. Some people don't like rock. Some don't like jazz. Some don't like metal. That's an opinion, but that doesn't mean it's not music. Music is, and i quote, "a collection of sounds that are pleasing to the ears." Many people are pleased with the heavy bass and pumping melodies of dubstep. It's music. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not music. And to the guy that said there's no sheet music, there is. Remember...It is in fact a piano. There's just a ton of layers and most dubstep artists don't post the sheets. How do you think there's remixes? I've done a few. We don't just sit around guessing what they do. And also, no structure? Really? Dubstep probably has the most structure. Everyone knows there's the drop. Just like every rock song or hiphop track has a chorus. Use your brains. Dubstep is music. End of discussion.

• Music is a human invention.

Music wasn't a word until we created it. We made the word, defined the word, and accepted the word, and although it most likely started out as a strictly specific concept, we grew it and evolved it until it was NOTHING like it was originally, and everyone lived through it because it wasn't a big deal. Jazz, for example. Some people didn't think it was okay because it wasn't traditional, but now everyone considers it as music, and that's okay, because things evolve and change and that's natural. That could easily be repeated with other genres, like dubstep, and later, it could end up that nobody blinks an eye over dubstep.

I hope I've convinced someone to think about this more deeply.

• Just look at the definitions.

Music: Vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

Now that one knows the definition of music you must wonder what is an instrumental sound, or break it down further. What is an instrument? Since everyone on the opposing side repeatedly state that dubstep does not include any instruments here is the definition.

Instrument: A tool or implement, especially one for precision work.

Dubstep is definitely precision work that consists of time based noises and rhythms that is made with a laptop and synth pads "tools". A testament to how complex a musical genre dubstep is, is the level of skill required to play it with traditional instruments.

• What you think is music is music

Yeah many people disagree with the fact that electronically modulated oscilators and wavetable synthesizers (when put in rhythm and context of some sort of musical progression) is music.
    But there was a time when famous composers and musicians back in the time of GREAT MUSICIANS (ie Bach, Mozart, some other dead dude who didn't like the fact that parallel fifths sound cool as heck) there were also composers who created "music" or in other's perspective "scratching a siolin string for 10 mins" People are wierd and can think what they want. So hey, why not let it be music?

• Why wouldn't it be?

I swear, it's music, k? Why can't you guys understand? Is just singing something music? And even if it didn't use any instruments it's MUSIC, if not what is it then? Does it make you dance? YES, does it have a beat? YES, does it have a chorus? YES! Then why isn't it music? You're gonna say rap isn't music? Doesn't use any instruments either!

• Why wouldn't it be?

• Why wouldn't it be?

• Why wouldn't it be?

• Dubstep is NOT music

Dubstep is not musical until a real instrument is utilized. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool musician. I'm listening to Jazz as I type this. My greatest conflict with dubstep is that it can be done without looking at a sheet of staff paper or plucking a string. Is a dubstep artist considered a musician? They don't touch instruments. If the creator isn't a musician, the product couldn't be music.

• No Structure or melody.

It's just a bunch of noises and exaggerated bass. It doesn't take ANY talent whatsoever. It's just noise. How the hell do you dance to it without looking like a noodle? It does have some singing but it's just a repeated word that is either really really high or low.

• Genres are equivocation these days

And it has been for a long time, as long when some peanut gallery is going to mislead the use of a term with more than one meaning or sense. An example would be when Skrillex calls his music dubstep when clearly his music isn't in fact dubbed that's misleading compare to some DJ artist like Skream who plays authentic dubstep music. I don't listen to these types of music but I have listen a few sample to tell you there is a difference and that I'm gladly to say I can careless about this particular genera; at any rate I prefer to listen to more real music that is more melodic and unique.

• Do I even need to explain?

The fact that there are no REAL instruments sickens me. You can pull up a series of notes that will ALWAYS SOUND GOOD TOGETHER (E.G. They are all in the same key or they work with the key or scale that they are using). And to the majority that say that most dubstep creators are experienced in playing instruments and know musical theory: that's great, I hope they do. Let me propose a question; if they know how to play piano so well, why do they need to make dubstep? If they can make REAL music with REAL instruments. Please note that I do understand that an electric keyboard which is imbued with the power of the synth is basically the same thing as a computer generated song. The difference in my eyes is that you can take the skills from the electric keyboard and use them on a real piano; that you cannot do on a laptop (spare me if I say MacBook, just kidding. Not gonna rant about Apple products..). And I have had dubstep advocates say that dubstep is music based solely on the fact that one can consider nature sounds to be music. Music, as defined by many knowledgeable people (I'll put a link at the bottom), is a property of speech and that is how we perceive music as bad or good. The fact that music is almost always made to convey emotions backs this theory up. I can only think of one emotion that dubstep conveys: disgust. One other thing that I found funny was that spell check tried to correct 'dubstep' to 'dumpster', the place that it truly belongs. That isn't a complete reason, but hey.

Here's the link I promised:
    http://whatismusic.Info/

• Dubstep is not music

Is dubstep really music? Think about it. No musical instruments are used. Only a computer and a person. A computer is not an instrument. For all you dubstep lovers out there get your head out of the clouds and back down to logical land. Dubstep is merely annoying sounds blended together. There is a difference between DJs and musicians. I can tell you for sure that anyone who makes dubstep is more like a "technician" rather than a musician. There are no authentic instrumental sounds in dubstep. I can't stress this enough. DUBSTEP IS NOT MUSIC.

• Dubstep is NOT music

Music is an art form, yes. It is open and subject to each individual's interpretation. However, music is as much of a science as an art. There are rules to music. There is structure. Even if a musician doesn't know exactly what the rules are, they realize when they've broken one and it sounds like trash. Dubstep follows none of these rules. Is it an art form? Yes. Does it have its own purpose and place in the world of music? YES! Dubstep is a great tool to be used to compliment actual music, but it on its own is lacking certain important qualities for it to be music.

• Dubstep is not music.

Music by definition is a vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. Music can be formed by instruments and or someones vocal cords. From the genre of the music like smooth jazz, pop and or metal. Anything that creates song or rhythm is classified as music. The main idea of the theory is that music is a Super stimulus for the perception of musicality, where "musicality" is actually a perceived property of speech. "Musicality" refers to the property of music that determines how "good" it is, how strong an emotional effect it has, and how much we enjoy listening to it. Using a music note paper and creating clefs like triple or even bass is not classified as music only because the notes are only on a piece of paper but can hear the rhythm or the sound of the notes in the paper. But if you make the paper into a song or a rhythm or piano, guitar, flute etc then that is classified as a piece of music. Even though if the music itself is horrible or just a rough draft. The song from hearing is classified as a piece of music. But can dance be classified as music? In other words, dance is not just something which accompanies music, dance actually is music. Music is a super-stimulus for aspects of speech perception, but speech perception is not just the perception of sounds: it also includes perception of the speaker's movements such as facial expressions, body language and hand gestures. Dance can be identified as the super-stimulus for this component of speech perception.
    Even though from a dance club or other dance activites sometimes can be really classified as music. Only because having “dance class” and have tap shoes. Is music. Only because you're using your movements and sound of the shoes to make a rhythm of the song or artist. Which is music. But think about how the artist makes the music, for example. Some artist have a type of tecno or sound to make the music stand out. Or have it stand out when the music is 100% complete.They're all kinds of sounds that make music. Well music. So my definition dubstep cannot be classified as music. Maybe another word. But to make dubstep takes no skill then using real instruments. Then a piece of electric. Like a laptop. Then a flute or guitar or even vocals. Its pretty simple to realize when you hear a dubstep song. Then a jazz song.

• Based on the Definition of Music

My dictionary states that music is "vocal or instrumental sounds combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion." That being said, computers cannot produce expression of emotion, and as far as I can see dubstep is not beautiful, simply stimulating to some people. Therefore, falling back on technicalities, dubstep is NOT music.

• Not real music

To me music is a way to convey thoughts/emotions/statements in a way that it can connect with people. When I hear dub step all I hear is LOOK HOW ANNOYING I CAN BE!! Not very relatable. When you play an instrument (I play guitar) I can close my eyes and play the song/tune is influenced by me and my emotions directly. I don't think the same can be said for a computer.

• Music is made, not generated.

I have no problem with people using computers to modify a live feed, some cool stuff can be done using computers, including hooking instruments up to giant Tesla towers. But, when there is absolutely no instrument involved in the process at all, I find it harder to accept it as music. A computer generated sound is just generated, like a software key. Music is a form of expression, when we can teach computers to express themselves as well as humans, I will accept they can make music.