• Dubstep is love, Dubstep is life.

Dubstep is not just "a bunch of noises", it usually involves melodies and rhythm which is what classifies it as music. Creating a general Dubstep track isn't easy as it can take months to complete for someone with little experience with technological music producing. People enjoy Dubstep the same way people enjoy Heavy Metal; both typically involve loud sounds which some people find enjoyable. Music is sound; without sound there is no music. Music that doesn't involve "instruments" doesn't remove that property.

• Dubstep is music

Some people just don't agree with dubstep. It does have emotion depending on who you are. I feel a lot of emotionsetbacks when I listen to. You can't say that I'm wrong because I play an instrument and sing as well. It doesn't matter what other people think music has different effects for different people.

• It may be music

But that doesn't change the fact that it is complete crap with none of the emotion of good music. Good music has emotion and makes you feel a certain way. Dubstep is just random noises to a beat. If I repeatedly pressed the space bar on a windows computer, added some crappie bass and a really basic beat, you would have Dubstep.

• It's better than today's generation of fake autotune warriors and people with overbloated egos

Today's trending songs consist of people gloating how they reproduce with multiple women (That's totally what they're going to say when they get STDs anyways), killing people for a sport (Great way to incriminate yourself), and how they went to jail over foolish decisions (Gonna look great when you need an actual job). Honestly, the controversy is no more different than the debate about gamers: Both are biased, both are judged by people that absolutely refuse to do research or even participate in, and both actually have more than one characteristics that no one wants to put in the work to analyze, which is ironic, considering they put in enough work to share their opinions along with the other ignorant stereotypical parties. It's wonderful that they love instrumental music, and honestly, if they do, they should stick with instrumental music, instead of blindly trying other songs, unless, of course, you got bored of instruments and wanted to try something new, and when you couldn't understand it, you went against it :3
    Everyone has opinions, but in a debate, make sure your opinion has a couple legs to stand on ;)

• Of course it's music

Anything can be music, from today's shitty pop to a 3 year old's banging on the table. Don't be a pretentious douchebag and try to say that people have the wrong opinion. If someone says something is music, it's officially music. You don't have to like it, but it is.

• Dubstep is music

Why would someone say otherwise!? I've got a 1 hour adventure time dubstep remix and I never get bored of it, it lasts me for almost all of class so that is a bonus too. Dubstep also presents old songs in a new way without just adding a few bits here and there

• It is music

It is proven that dubstep is proper music, and contains all the rhythm and rhyme of proper music. Now, whilst dubstep may inspire people to get a bit more, we'll, let's say energetic, people still like it because the drop creates adrenaline. So, is it music? Well, the final answer is yes, and im sure all my fellow dubstep lovers will agree

• (producing electronic music since one year) Dubstep is music

But in a different way. While you don't have to be able to play an instrument, all of the more famous creators of electronic music in general play at least one instrument (piano, most of the time) and understanding music theory is an important point in the production of dubstep. Dubstep is not a form of music that is played live, yes. That's why I like to refer to producers more as composer more than a musician. Producing electronic music also involves sound design, audio engineering and so on. If you produce electronic music in general you don't need the skill to play an instrument, so using that as an argument is just invalid.

Everybody who says dubstep doesn't take skill should sit on a DAW for some hours and show me what the can come up with. They probably wouldn't be able to make some melodies with different synths and basses, a drum beat and all the post processing involved (e.G. Mixing, eq-ing, sidechaining, and other effects like reverb, delay, flanging and so on) to make it sound good. Somebody who has never worked with a DAW will get nothing near that.

SO: Producers are not necessarily musicians. They are composers, sound designers and somewhat audio engineers.

• No reason for it not to be music.

Music is an art form and cultural activity whose medium is sound and silence. The common elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics (loudness and softness), and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture (which are sometimes termed the "color" of a musical sound). Different styles or types of music may emphasize, de-emphasize or omit some of these elements. (from Wikipedia)

Saying that it is not music solely because it "doesn't require instruments" is plain ignorant. Why? You dont think that the computer can be a musical instrument. Well it is used to create music, why couldn't it be considered as a musical instrument? It is used by the person to "express his/her emotion through sounds", so why not?

Also i see people saying that dubstep is not music because it doesnt "convey thoughts and emotions" well the same can be said about the guy behind the computer making the music, just the tool is different.

• Dubstep is NOT music

Dubstep is not musical until a real instrument is utilized. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool musician. I'm listening to Jazz as I type this. My greatest conflict with dubstep is that it can be done without looking at a sheet of staff paper or plucking a string. Is a dubstep artist considered a musician? They don't touch instruments. If the creator isn't a musician, the product couldn't be music.

• No Structure or melody.

It's just a bunch of noises and exaggerated bass. It doesn't take ANY talent whatsoever. It's just noise. How the hell do you dance to it without looking like a noodle? It does have some singing but it's just a repeated word that is either really really high or low.

• Genres are equivocation these days

And it has been for a long time, as long when some peanut gallery is going to mislead the use of a term with more than one meaning or sense. An example would be when Skrillex calls his music dubstep when clearly his music isn't in fact dubbed that's misleading compare to some DJ artist like Skream who plays authentic dubstep music. I don't listen to these types of music but I have listen a few sample to tell you there is a difference and that I'm gladly to say I can careless about this particular genera; at any rate I prefer to listen to more real music that is more melodic and unique.

• Do I even need to explain?

The fact that there are no REAL instruments sickens me. You can pull up a series of notes that will ALWAYS SOUND GOOD TOGETHER (E.G. They are all in the same key or they work with the key or scale that they are using). And to the majority that say that most dubstep creators are experienced in playing instruments and know musical theory: that's great, I hope they do. Let me propose a question; if they know how to play piano so well, why do they need to make dubstep? If they can make REAL music with REAL instruments. Please note that I do understand that an electric keyboard which is imbued with the power of the synth is basically the same thing as a computer generated song. The difference in my eyes is that you can take the skills from the electric keyboard and use them on a real piano; that you cannot do on a laptop (spare me if I say MacBook, just kidding. Not gonna rant about Apple products..). And I have had dubstep advocates say that dubstep is music based solely on the fact that one can consider nature sounds to be music. Music, as defined by many knowledgeable people (I'll put a link at the bottom), is a property of speech and that is how we perceive music as bad or good. The fact that music is almost always made to convey emotions backs this theory up. I can only think of one emotion that dubstep conveys: disgust. One other thing that I found funny was that spell check tried to correct 'dubstep' to 'dumpster', the place that it truly belongs. That isn't a complete reason, but hey.

Here's the link I promised:
    http://whatismusic.Info/

• Dubstep is not music

Is dubstep really music? Think about it. No musical instruments are used. Only a computer and a person. A computer is not an instrument. For all you dubstep lovers out there get your head out of the clouds and back down to logical land. Dubstep is merely annoying sounds blended together. There is a difference between DJs and musicians. I can tell you for sure that anyone who makes dubstep is more like a "technician" rather than a musician. There are no authentic instrumental sounds in dubstep. I can't stress this enough. DUBSTEP IS NOT MUSIC.

• Dubstep is NOT music

Music is an art form, yes. It is open and subject to each individual's interpretation. However, music is as much of a science as an art. There are rules to music. There is structure. Even if a musician doesn't know exactly what the rules are, they realize when they've broken one and it sounds like trash. Dubstep follows none of these rules. Is it an art form? Yes. Does it have its own purpose and place in the world of music? YES! Dubstep is a great tool to be used to compliment actual music, but it on its own is lacking certain important qualities for it to be music.

• Dubstep is not music.

Music by definition is a vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. Music can be formed by instruments and or someones vocal cords. From the genre of the music like smooth jazz, pop and or metal. Anything that creates song or rhythm is classified as music. The main idea of the theory is that music is a Super stimulus for the perception of musicality, where "musicality" is actually a perceived property of speech. "Musicality" refers to the property of music that determines how "good" it is, how strong an emotional effect it has, and how much we enjoy listening to it. Using a music note paper and creating clefs like triple or even bass is not classified as music only because the notes are only on a piece of paper but can hear the rhythm or the sound of the notes in the paper. But if you make the paper into a song or a rhythm or piano, guitar, flute etc then that is classified as a piece of music. Even though if the music itself is horrible or just a rough draft. The song from hearing is classified as a piece of music. But can dance be classified as music? In other words, dance is not just something which accompanies music, dance actually is music. Music is a super-stimulus for aspects of speech perception, but speech perception is not just the perception of sounds: it also includes perception of the speaker's movements such as facial expressions, body language and hand gestures. Dance can be identified as the super-stimulus for this component of speech perception.
    Even though from a dance club or other dance activites sometimes can be really classified as music. Only because having “dance class” and have tap shoes. Is music. Only because you're using your movements and sound of the shoes to make a rhythm of the song or artist. Which is music. But think about how the artist makes the music, for example. Some artist have a type of tecno or sound to make the music stand out. Or have it stand out when the music is 100% complete.They're all kinds of sounds that make music. Well music. So my definition dubstep cannot be classified as music. Maybe another word. But to make dubstep takes no skill then using real instruments. Then a piece of electric. Like a laptop. Then a flute or guitar or even vocals. Its pretty simple to realize when you hear a dubstep song. Then a jazz song.

• Based on the Definition of Music

My dictionary states that music is "vocal or instrumental sounds combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion." That being said, computers cannot produce expression of emotion, and as far as I can see dubstep is not beautiful, simply stimulating to some people. Therefore, falling back on technicalities, dubstep is NOT music.

• Not real music

To me music is a way to convey thoughts/emotions/statements in a way that it can connect with people. When I hear dub step all I hear is LOOK HOW ANNOYING I CAN BE!! Not very relatable. When you play an instrument (I play guitar) I can close my eyes and play the song/tune is influenced by me and my emotions directly. I don't think the same can be said for a computer.

• Music is made, not generated.

I have no problem with people using computers to modify a live feed, some cool stuff can be done using computers, including hooking instruments up to giant Tesla towers. But, when there is absolutely no instrument involved in the process at all, I find it harder to accept it as music. A computer generated sound is just generated, like a software key. Music is a form of expression, when we can teach computers to express themselves as well as humans, I will accept they can make music.