• It is one of the hardest

Most of you saying no were most likely bon and raised in an english-speaking environment, therefore as a young child, you were able to pick up words and their meanings from an early age. You're probably too used to english to even think about the tact that there still is a lot to learn and how complex it actually is. Some of you might say that it is not hard since more than half of the world's population speaks it or at least knows basic words. Well we're not debating statistics or how much english people know. If english is such an easy language why do students have to take it as a mandatory class from kindergarten all the way to grade 9 (or at least that's how it is in Canada)? Ever thought of that? It's because even in those many 18 years or so there is still so much more to learn. So many rules, requirements, forms, irregular adjectives, conjugations, etc. It is endless. There are also so many complicated words in english that other languages don't even have translated! Also, why do you think most people's first language is english? Because they know it is s much more easier to have an early start at the language since as a child, we pick up habits and learn new things easier. Also, if english is so easy and if it is spoken way too much that people are able to learn from their surroundings, why are ESL classes a perquisite for exchange students? Finally, in Canada, we have the availability of studying french as our second language but most schools do not start teaching it until grade 5 and it is only mandatory up until grade 9. This should say something about the difference of the difficulty level of both languages. I am not trying to insult any french-speakers, i personally love the language and i am still studying it to this day.

• We have many different sounds and verbs plus past tense present tense and past tense

English is very difficult to learn because it is very different to lots of other countries. It has been all over the news at times about how English is such a hard language. We also have a lot of different grammar and different sounds and names for this game s

• Because my mum told me

If its not shes dumb or she lieing if she right she a amasing mother even thought i WILL corrected her i aam some time wrong i love mother a lot Even thought she gets mad at me all the time i correct allway from enlash is one of the hardest

• Because my mum told me

• Because my mum told me

• Because my mum told me

• Pronunciation is a whole different spectrum of consistency (and other irregularities).

For foreign people, it is extremely difficult to pronounce a new word they just encounter correctly. Although in my experience many locals will understand this, it is simply a blatant obstacle.

It is probably also hard for many people to memorize irregular patterns: past/perfect participle verbs, phrasal verbs, Vietnam-ese vs Span-ish, etc; as to why the old and new rules (that indicate inconsistency) exist in the first place: why 'cannot' is now is counted as one word but 'would not' is not, why 'aren't I?' instead of 'am not I?', why I should use either all-British or all-American system, and the list goes on.

The eventual difficulty is that the conclusion that it is quite far from an ideal international language and we have to use it in the present time.

• Irregularities are very prominent

The structure of English is so random, depending on the person. For example, "What is your name", "Tell me your name", "And you are?", "Name please?", "Who are you?", "So what do people call you?", "Name?", "Who have we here?". Just some examples of how confusing it must be for newbies to english. Slang is another problem too!! Endless variations on words, even just hello. And also, what kind of language can use "That that" in a sentence and have it be grammatically correct........ The fact that that, "that that" thing is a thing is ridiculous! (And that my friends... Is English for you)

• I think English is very hard, but I'm a native speaker so how should I really know.

Well, the reason I say English is very hard to learn is because it is much, MUCH less contextual than many other languages. You have to be more exact. I don't think it would be the hardest, but I wouldn't really know, maybe it is. It just seems very complicated as there are a plethora of words. My mother says no one knows every word in the english language, and I think I believe her.

• English is very easy...

...As it has very primitive grammar with no genders or cases. Yeah, 16 or so different types of tenses can be a pain in the ass but, on the whole, it is very easy as it is quite logical, simple and elegant.

I'm a native speaker of Tatar and Russian.

• I studied Latin, Classical Greek, Spanish, French and my native language is Italian. English is by far the easiest!

English: no genders, no conjugations, no agreement of article with noun or noun with adjective, no cases.
    The English verb has a maximum of 5 forms. The Italian verb has 50 form in each conjugation and there are 3 conjugations so 3x50 = 150 REGULAR verb forms. Same for Spanish and French....I am using Italian as an example since it's my native language.
    Highly inflected languages such as Russian, Finnish, Croatian, etc...Are even more difficult. People who say English is difficult have never studied another language.

• English? Absolutely not.

I'll give you this, english is definitely not on the easier side of languages to learn. With every letter combination sounding different depending on pairing, so many words having the exact same pronunciations with wildly different meanings, and a never ending list of ridiculous rules, English is hard to jump into. I still struggle from time to time. However, with only 26 letters, it pales in comparison as to something like Cantonese, or Chinese. You have to memorize specific symbols and know just the right vocal inflection to make the correct word, using high, medium, and low notes. It's ridiculous to think of the amount of memorization that goes into that kind of language. And reading it isn't simply about sounding it out, you have to know what each individual line means. English, definitely not.

• English Is Not The Most Difficult Language

What is considered difficult is very subjective. Especially when speaking about languages and learning them. I think that English is indeed a difficult language to learn. I just don't believe it is the most difficult. Millions of people speak it in America and other countries. Its much more common that certain languages that are on the brink of extinction. Those are harder languages to learn in my opinion because they are so rare.

• Impossible English is rather easy

English is really just a simpler version of west germanic. There are many more difficult languages. Only 26 letters, 4 cases, and we don't have tones or genders. Half of our language's rules have disappeared over the years because they were forgotten and made easier. There are thousands of characters in Chinese, 7 morphological cases in Latin, 6 different tones in Arabic, and 5 genders in Polish.

• Easy to learn, Hard to perfect

English can be hard, but not the hardest. Chinese, Japanese, and Russian with all of the characters and sounds... They seem more difficult to tackle. So, I'd say it's somewhat hard to learn, but hard to perfect. Some native speakers don't even know the major grammar/spelling rules. But I can see how someone who isn't a native speak get confused between "read" and "read" or "lead" and "lead."

• English is to hard? Do u learn English? It is easy for you or hard for you?

English is a hard but not ll was same ame words are really easy to learn same time English is a crazy language
    it is are easy but same people are not
    like a English language

pronunciation differences can mean incredibly different things. Immersive speaking for Chinese is easier, but reading and writing, as well as learning meaning, is painful. As other posters have suggested, it takes extreme dedication to learn a language with no alphabet. When I was in China, I picked up the basics of counting, hello, goodbye, thank you, you're welcome, etc. pretty easily, but full sentences English most difficult to merely speak, but
    English isn't easy and is even confusing to a writer like me, but after three weeks in China, I was still confused as to how they learned all of what they know about their language. I stared to learn I was 9 years old
    english is my 3 language

• Why the English Language is not the Hardest Language to Learn

I do not think the English language is the hardest to learn. Languages like Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Arabic are more complicated. This is because you have to memorize tons of symbols. Where as in English, you have to memorize the alphabet and use the letters in words. But it would be hard for someone who does not know the English language to learn it.

• English is definitely not the hardest.

With my knowledge of languages, I'd say Chinese is the hardest. I'm a secondary school student in Hong Kong and everyone in my class (all native Chinese speakers) agree that Chinese much harder than English. Most people take at least one class outside school to learn Chinese, even two or three. English is difficult in comparison to languages such as Spanish, but when compared to Chinese or Japanese, it is not at all hard to learn

• Chinese, Japanese Very Hard

Chinese and Japanese would also be hard to learn because their languages are based on ideograms, meaning one character can represent an idea. Instead of the word "mountain" written out, one small complex drawing makes up the Japanes word for mountain. It takes an imagination to learn Chinese with so many characters for words.

TomahawkChop says2014-06-24T02:27:40.797
I wouldn't say it's the hardest language to learn, but it's one of the hardest languages to master! It doesn't help that most native English speakers are in-proficient in their own language! (I will NOT lie I am one of those native speakers! I'm positive you can look through my comment and pick out my grammar errors. Oh well!) Spell check, google, text lango, etc is a crutch for those native English speakers to be honest. Anyways, back on topic the main reason it is hard to master is the grammar diffculitscy, well in my perspective, us Americans struggle to grasp the concept of gerunds, infinitives, so on and so forth. I am just glad with have an alphabet with only 26 letters!
katay says2014-08-21T16:35:30.500
Well, of course English isn't the most difficult language in the world, BUT it's enough hard for learning. Just the only fact that writting and pronunciation of a same word is different can make confused. And there isn't the only difficulty: using multi verbs instead of the others, simple verbs, words with a lot of different meaning and finaly complicated system of tenses.
drunkendonkey says2014-11-24T03:06:21.367
I don't think there is any way to determine the "most difficult" language to learn. It depends on your personal proficiencies and also determined by your first language. If you're Mongolian, chances are English is going to be extremely difficult for you, however, if you're German, it might not be so hard. There are things about English that make it intrinsically problematic, but the level of difficulty will be exacerbated or reduced based on what you're already used to. As far as difficulty goes, it's probably up there, but who's to say whether or not it's the "most difficult"? Certainly not me.