Is Facebook actually hurting relationships rather than helping them?

• Debates are too long.

People in relationships can become addicted to Facebook and debates can turn into sending links of videos of unknown length to support debates. The other partner can suffer and when trying to explain, the Facebook addict just doesn't get it. My relationship is 24 years long and Facebook won't destroy it. However it does hurt the relationship some.

• Playground for the Emotionally Ill

Those addicted to sympathy and attention use it to feed their habit. They will even lie to get their "high", not caring who they hurt. When they get those "likes" from virtual strangers, they want more, more and more. The posts always eventually get back to the person lied about. The lies destroy relationships. It's hard to recover from. People need to remember that those "likes" they give might be enabling an off-balanced person. If you don't know the person being criticized by this Attention or Sympathy Addict... stay out of it! Same goes for the Drama Queens who live for their varied "illnesses" and trauma. Tread lightly unless you know the person in real life. If you do.... call them or write them personally!

• Seems to be an addiction

My boyfriend logs in every morning and throughout the day. He feels a need/curiosity to see what people are posting even though he contends that he only uses the app. to communicate with his family in another country. I told him it was going to come down to facebook or me. He feels I am being unreasonable. I have asked him to limit his use and only check his facebook account a few times a week. He now sneaks around to check facebook. At his age (45) I feel he is addicted and allowing a social website to come between us when he knows how much his use bothers me.

• Yes.

People get cyberbullied even by some of their best friends. Plus with romantic relationships it causes even more jealousy than before. Like say your significant other added a new friend of the opposite sex and they've never mentioned that person before then you'll get jealous thinking he's cheating on you.

• People get cyberbullied all the time.

Most of the time cyberbullying starts with facebook, and other social networking sites. There are 1/3 teens that are repeatedley cyberbullided every day. Facebook should be used for keeping in touch with people you havent seen in a while. this social networking site should be used for responsible adults , not young teens

• Yes.

People who havent even met in real life get into relationships.
    It is better to talk someone in reallife and more than half things we say, we would never say in real life.

• Yes, I think Facebook actually hinders relationships, because it offers a venue for control in a situation, where people say things that they would not say in person.

Facebook should be used mostly for keeping in touch with people that are far away or that you do not have daily contact with. People that you are in relationships with tend to post too often on your wall. Facebook becomes a compulsion, and this compulsion translates into the relationship. When things go sour in a relationship, or if there are remotely any troubles at all, significant others post many things on Facebook that they wouldn't say in person.

Posted by: ToyMatt
  • Facebook is actually hurting relationships rather than helping them.

Facebook is actually hurting relationships rather than helping them because it is destroying interpersonal communication. Rather than take the time to write a traditional letter or make a phone call, it is easier to just post on Facebook and let it go. Facebook, a social web site, actually depersonalizes social interaction.

Posted by: JamieM
  • Yes I agree

Anyone can see our photo if we put it and use it.He/She can even save it on their pc

• Facebook hurts relationships more than it helps, because it does not promote two-way communication.

Facebook hurts relationships more than it helps, because it does not promote two-way communication. It is easier to post a generic comment on Facebook, with no real feedback, than it is to compose a personal email that will probably get feedback. Because of the number of people viewing the information, the information can not be specific. For safety, all information has to be general.

Posted by: jackprague94
  • Come on guys...

Guys, guys... Let's look at the bigger picture here! It isn't Facebook that is hurting relationships but rather the people who use Facebook. Look at it like this...If I were to accidentally or intentionally (which would be stupid) hit myself with a hammer would I blame the hammer? Surely not!

• Facebook helps people stay in touch

I am currently living in Argentina but I am from the USA. I have been away from my family and friends for a long time, and Facebook helps us to keep in touch and up-to-date with each other´s lives. However, I will say I find What´s app more helping for maintaining relationships.

• There are a lot of people who would not be able to communicate without it.

Facebook has certainly caused waves in human relationships. And, it has allowed people who have not seen each other in years to communicate with each other again. Whether it hurts relationships, rather than helps them, is something that needs to be determined on a case by case basis. Some may be hurt by it, but others may be helped.

Posted by: ErvinAnime
  • Neither Facebook, or any other social networking site, can be said to help or harm relationships.

A social networking site, such as Facebook, cannot either help or harm relationships. The quality of a relationship is dependent upon the user, the human being, who interacts in either a positive or negative way with his fellow humans through the site. Social networking, per se, just like technology, is neutral. Responsibility for the value of a relationship lies solely within a person or persons, not within any website.

Posted by: TangyKen
  • I don't believe that facebook hurts relationships. I believe that unfaithful spouses ruin relationships.

Facebook is not the root of problems within relationships. I believe that it is only the catalyst which allows people to find out that their significant others are not faithful to them.

Posted by: AboardTod
  • Facebook is helping to create relationships not break them.

Many of us have gotten in touch with old friend through this social website. For me its gotten me in touch with friends that I went to high school with. Furthermore, its a great medium in which to keep in touch. You let people know as much or as little as you like. Its great when you can get in touch with your friends when you left the country you grew up in.

Posted by: StripperMor
  • No, because Facebook is just another distraction, and does not directly hurt relationships.

Facebook may not be the best thing for relationships, but I do not believe that it is capable of damaging a healthy relationship, any more than other distractions, such as video games, pornography, or any other item that can cause neglect. In all of these cases, the fault is not with Facebook or anything else. It is the inattentiveness to one's partner, or lack of consideration, that might be to blame for a damaged relationship.

Posted by: CurvyErich46