• Blaming fast food!

They are giving people something bad, the food alone is to blame for obesity. I understand some people cant afford anything else but McDonald's everyday and if people don't have money, the least fast food chains do is serve and offer something healthy! I'm also partially blaming the consumer because it is their personal responsibility.

• A qualified "yes" vote.

Fast food ALONE is not to blame for obesity, but it is a huge contributor. Considering the millions of people served at fast food restaurants versus any other eating establishment, fast food restaurants hold a particular responsibility to provide nutritious, tasty and healthy food. Instead, most fast food restaurants provide clearly unhealthy food, or unhealthy food disguised as healthy food (such as salads with fat-laden dressing). Such disingenuity should be discouraged with proper nutritional labeling.

• An indirect pressure which increases the negative impact of obesity.

Fast food is not to blame, however, the impact of fast food on a person’s health would have any jury struggling to agree that fast food outlets are innocent bystanders in the global impact of obesity in the world. Therefore in my opinion they can be no dissociation between the frequency of fast food consumed and an individual’s health. Fast food is a catalyst for obesity, not the cause, but it’s role cannot be underestimated. Yes I agree that individuals have a choice, but the scientific evidence is out there that the average health of people of middle to low socio-economic background, who live in close proximity the fast food outlets have poorer obesity related health issues than those that don’t. This is further proved by the massive increase in westernisation of eastern countries who previously had no fast food outlets and therefore relatively (comparatively to developed western countries) low to non-existent health related diseases (heart disease, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, and even some cancers just to name a few). While I’m sure there are many “anonymous” fast food company representatives that may try to sway a vote in an online poll (such as this) in order to clear their conscience and make another dollar, I would challenge any of them to prove my arguments wrong. As a Health and Physical Education teacher of over 10 years, I have seen the result of children that have grown up eating the rubbish food that can be produced at fast food outlets to the point they are addicted. This means that they mentally no longer have a choice as it is habitual. Governments are forcing fast food outlets to state the nutritional value of their meals in their ‘restaurants’ like packets of smokes or bottles of alcohol display warnings of the health impact they may have. They wouldn’t consider these kind of steps if fast food did not contribute to what our world is reportedly experiencing, an ‘obesity epidemic’. Have none of you seen supersize me? Or lost your common sense in the bottom of a greasy burger? It is obvious that while we will not see fast food banned due to the commercial cost, the long term medical and health savings could possibly out way these losses.

• Yes, fast food is to blame for obesity.

I don't think obesity is entirely a problem of the individuals who are obese, I don't have any statistics, but through observation and a basic understanding of human nature I have the opinion that yes fast food companies are a major contributor to this now global epidemic. Take the people of El Salvador who until recently have been the latest victims of the beasts of capitalism, (the fast food giants) and as a result tooth decay is rapidly rising in children, along with other health conditions. With a health care system that can't cope, one asks whether the companies responsible should foot the bill? And as a topic of discussion no one wants to attribute any responsibility to these institutions, we seem to have adopted the corporate way of thinking where profits rule. Capitalism is destroying people physically but more importantly there ethics, as well as the planet, just as a beast destroys all it comes into contact with.

• It is your fault that you got obese because of fast foods

Fast food places are made because it is fast and convenient. If people dont want to get obese, then dont eat it at all! Why r u guys blaming fast food restaurants? They're just doing their job' selling fast foods. You can just make food yourself! Why are u blaming fast food restaurants that you got fat after YOU made the decision to eat them? Why would you eat it in the first place if you know that it is bad for you and would make you obese? That is like doing something bad and blaming it on someone else. That's so stupid. Remember that you made your own choices and you chose to become obese by eating it.

• Yes, I blame the fast food industry for American's obesity.

We live in a fast paced society that most often than not we have to get some "quick" to eat to move on to the next activity or responsibility. Where I live (Melbourne,Fl.) the fast food establishments are approximately 0.25 mile apart. However, I go to school two counties over in a much bigger city (Osceola/South Kissimmee) than mine and I was horrified to see so many fast food restaurants one next to the other on at least a two mile stretch. I am not over weight by any means and I do blame the fast food industry the Americas overweight population. In addition, I usually take my lunch to school but on occasion I decide to go somewhere new for lunch. I have to drive at least ten to fifteen mile to find something half decent to eat. http://www.nber.org/bah/2009no1/w14721.html This website shows research; the authors examine whether proximity to a fast food restaurant affects the obesity rates.

• They are to blame

When people go to a fast food restaurant they are not being fully educated on what they are eating. McDonalds doesn't tell people that they fries they are making is actually made with beef talo. How is a vegetarian suppose to know that the oil McDonalds is using contains this? Plus fast food restaurants have the choice to make healthier food but they don't because they want to make money. Boom end of discussion.

• They are to blame

• Yes they are the ones to blame

T for obesity, not the cause, but it’s role cannot be underestimated. Yes I agree that individuals have a choice, but the scientific evidence is out there that the average health of people of middle to low socio-economic background, who live in close proximity the fast food outlets have poorer obesity related health issues than those that don’t. This is further proved by the massive increase in westernisation of eastern countries who previously had no fast food outlets and therefore relatively (comparatively to developed western countries) low to non-existent health related diseases (heart disease, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, and even some cancers just to name a few). While I’m sure there are many “anonymous” fast food company representatives that may try to sway a vote in an online poll (such as this) in order to clear their conscience and make another dollar, I would challenge any of them to prove my arguments wrong. As a Health and Physical Education teacher of over 10 years, I have seen the result of children that have grown up eating the rubbish food that can be produced at fast food outlets to the point they are addicted. This means that they mentally no longer have a choice as it is habitual. Governments are forcing fast food outlets to state the nutritional value of their meals in their ‘restaurants’ like packets of smokes or bottles of alco

• Seriously? What ..Why??

I can not believe that people actually blame other people for being obese? Do food industries force you to eat their food? No, you are in control of what you eat! I think it is a sad and cowardly excuse to put your unhealthy standards on the matters of someone else. Wake up people! Take some damn responsibility and make healthier choices! Take the time to buy some vegetables or chicken and cook it at home! Also, I did not know that excessive eating was controlled by a gene??..Give me a break!
    A P

• Stop blaming Fast Food!

It is not the Fast Food companies Fault your getting fat. Look, stop blaming the Fast Food companies for making you overwieght, when it's YOUR CHOICE to eat the food in the first place. Now if you would stop eating it and start exercise maybe you will realize, Oh it was me.

• No, it is a person's choice to eat.

I'm sorry, I did not realize when you drove by McDonald's they forced you to shove a burger down your throat. They didn't, because it was your choice, not theirs. A big bag of lettuce costs as much as a small burger at Wendy's, so I don't buy the whole money excuse.

• PARENTS ARE THE CAUSE PEOPLE

WELL AS FAR AS CHILDREN GO. PARENTS ARE THE ONES BUYING THE FOOD FOR THEIR CHILDREN, KNOWING ITS AN UNHEALTHY CHOICE AND THEY KNOW THAT THEY CAN CHECK HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN A BIG MAC FOR EXAMPLE. PLUS ITS NOT THE ONLY THING THAT TAKES PART IN THE GROWING OBESITY OF CHILDREN AND ADULTS ALIKE.
    ~THE SCREAMING ANSWER

• Americans are to blame for obesity.

The amount of obesity has gone up because we have gotten lazy. The American people have the option of working out and they have the option of not eating the food, but they don't because they see that there is some food and they eat it and don't think about the after effects that food has. After a period of time of eating the same fat-filled food, they start gaining weight, and they say that it is just a little, and after a while they have gained 100 pounds or more by eating the same food over and over again. The Americans have the choice of doing something about it, but they are too lazy to get off their butts and do something about it. If anybody reads this and needs to lose weight, all you have to do is get up and say, "I'm going to walk," and build off of that. Please stop standing around, and do something about it.

• Matter of Free Will

Fast food has exsisted in this country for years and we've only recently seen a huge increase in obesity. Sure, the portion sizes have grown quite dramatically but so have the number of healthier options offered. Just because you go to a fast food restaurant doesn't mean you have to order the biggest, fattiest, most calorie containing thing on the menu. It's all about choices which are influenced by family, peers, and understanding of basic nutrition concepts. Don't tell me you didn't know a greasy burger, large fries and 44oz soda were bad for you. It's one thing to not have access to fresh, healthy foods because of lack of income or geographical location.. it's another to throw self control to the wind and claim ignorance. You can have that greasy burger once in awhile if you practice healthy habits the majority of the time and you won't be obese

• No, people are more to blame for obesity than fast food.

Even though fast food is readily available to most people, individuals still have to make a choice to maintain their health. There are some fast food restaurants that now offer healthier choices like fresh fruit or salads so that those who are trying to watch their weight can do so successfully. Genetic factors and lifestyle also play a role in obesity. It is up to each individual to find out how to treat and prevent obesity for themselves.

• No. There are many factors to blame.

Society can not put all the blame for obesity on one cause. There are many reasons why obesity rates have exploded. Fast food has made food cheaper and quicker to access, but ultimately it is the person who makes the decision whether they will eat more unhealthy food or not and therefore they deserve most of the blame.

• Never realized Ronald McDonald had a gun to your head.

Eating unhealthy is a choice just like everything else in life. No one forces you to eat fast food and it is hardly cheaper than more healthy options. Take all the unnecessary items out of your cart replace them with fresh vegetables, fruit, leaner cuts of meat if possible you will find that your grocery bill will be cheaper. Yes I know healthy eating is boring and gets old, nothing is better than a good greasy burger. I think the bigger problem is why people think it is ok to judge others on how they decide to live. As long as they are not harming anyone else or anyone's property who cares it's their choice! I do realize children are helpless and have no choice in foods their parents feed them but unless sugar and high fat foods are outlawed from grocery stores, fast food is no bigger problem than cupcakes or ice cream.

• Everybody has choices.

I believe that it is up to the individual person whether or not they buy fast food and if a person decides to eat it day after day what do you expect? You need to take responsibility for your own decisions instead of finding something to blame for your obesity problems.

• They are to blame

Fast food chains always entice you with their arguments and ads and the people can not be held accountable for thei robesity, and people should be more carfeul as to what they put in side their mouths, you know what im talking about, yeah you get it, do oyou not

Adam2 says2014-04-30T21:33:03.073
Can someone put a ban on these fast food questions? Like seriously.
Adam2 says2014-04-30T21:33:16.287
McDonald's, McDonald's, McDonald's... Like shut up!