• Fear can be good and fear can be bad.

There is healthy fear and there is unhealthy fear. Fear can preserve your like and direct you to make wise decisions in a difficult situation. Fear of breaking the law and fear of the wrath of others can prevent you from making stupid choices, that would otherwise make your life difficult for having done them. There is unhealthy fear, that may can cause you to ACTUALLY MAKE stupid choices, like the fear of upsetting your friends under the influence of peer pressure, or the fear of not adhering to the political views of a popular politician, clergyman or despot.

Like everything else, the usefulness of fear is measured by results!

• It very much depends on the context of the fear...

Some fear is good. For example the basic instinct that pushes us to survive personally (and as a species) known as the survival instinct is a subconscious thought process that is fueled by several things but it's main component, believe it or not, is fear. So what is this fear? In some cases it can be as simple as the fear of death. This single form of fear itself can enable people to push on though pain, distress and uncomfortable situations to come through on the other side alive.

Another example of fear is my personal phobia: Hydrophobia (fear of water).

When I was an infant I was accidentally dropped in deep water by a relative and very almost died. For many years I have struggled to swim up until recently where I attended swimming lessons along side six year old kids. It has been the one fear that has really held me back from doing things with friends and family and so this is the one of the main opposing points to my argument: Fear is a barrier and can hold you back. In some cases, yes, this is true however my next point can give a deeper insight to why, in some cases, this can be a good thing.

I, as I am sure some of you may have picked upon, stated that I am now able to swim and have over come my fear of water after nearly 16 years of trying. And do you know what the first thing was that I got out of conquering my fear? More confidence, higher self-esteem and a sense of achievement; and that alone has enabled me to do things know that I wouldn't have been able to do before. This is why in some cases I can confidently argue that fear is, and can be, a good thing in CERTAIN CONTEXTS.

However to live your life in total fear is not a good thing as it can be dangerous and unhealthy. I really do have sympathy for those who live in fear and I can't imagine what it is like.

Like most arguments on this site the questions really do require the debater to shed a bit more context on the question in order to give an insightful answer and I hope I have managed to shed a little bit more light on the question at hand.

• It keeps us alive

God gave us fear for a good reason. We should be scared of some things like jumping off a cliff. Fear also helps us to know when we are in danger. But like anything people must learn to control their fear and work out when it is rational and when it is irrational.

• A qualified yes

A qualified yes; fear itself is a very natural response to perceived threat. It is the primary means of preparing the individual for fight or flight, a means of self-preservation. Fear, like anything else, can be harmful to the individual if taken to the extreme. Fear can cripple if it becomes an obsession or habit. Fear can be a terrible experience for those who are forced to endure it due health issues, oppression, and circumstances.

• Fear can make you stronger

The answer to this question is actually both yes and no, depending on the severity of the fear. If a person comes into a situation in which they are afraid, their sympathetic nervous system will activate. This causes adrenaline to be secreted, pupils to dilate, heart rate to increase, and a number of other physiological responses: all of this ultimately results in a "fight of flight" state of being. To put it bluntly, this enables that person to fend off or to flee from threats in a manner that would otherwise be unlikely. The only issue with fear is if a person was so afraid that they actually became paralyzed or irrational, so they end up freezing and being unable to think clearly.

Basically, fear triggers physiological responses that allow people to respond to threats better and faster; however, too much fear will cause a person to freeze up and not be able to do anything.

• Fear is a protector

In the case of people a long long time ago, the absence of fear would have killed them. Literally. Without fear, they wouldn't know whether or not to run from a tiger, or not jump off a cliff. Fear kept them away from some things, but also told them some things were good by its absence.

• Some fear is good.

If you are fearless, you will get hurt eventually. If you're not afraid of walking on a tightrope with no net, and you are so confident that you won't fall, then you'll fall eventually because you're being unrealistic. Fear is healthy sometimes. It can keep you from getting into something bad.

• Fear Holds You Back

It destroys your confidence and breaks you down to something that is pitiful and wasteful. It holds you back from doing great things. It is a weakness as it prevents you from doing fun activities. If a fear is really strong, then it can paralyze you, then there will be no point in trying to overcome it.

• Dsfsdfsd adfsdfsd sdfsd

Not to sound fascist in anyway, but fear is required for a well functioning society. Of course, values like freedom are an equally stressed value, but there must be a balance. If you do nothing wrong, you would not be punished. The government instills to little fear in democratic countries (like India), allowing crime rates to be significantly higher than that of countries like China. Fear must be instilled to keep crime rates low. An argument that I have heard earlier is that that would mean an increase in the number of innocent people that are convicted, however in places of higher populations, it is easier to expose a scam compared to places like America where there is an increase in domestic reg

• Dsfsdfsd adfsdfsd sdfsd

• Fear Holds You Back

• Fear Holds You Back

• Fear Holds You Back

• Fear Holds You Back

• What is fear

Fear stands for
    Frightened,people are frightened by things
    Envious,people get the fear of enviying others
    Alarmed,people get alarmed and more scared and build more fear
    Rejection,soon they feel rejected and alone.
    Fear is overlooked people say it is not real but it is that is what i strongly and truly believe

• There are things to fear not just fear itself

Fear is a momentum that makes you react to what your scared of people are scared of falling and that brings that person down fear isolates you from the world and you turn depressed and anxious I believe fear is not a honest or reliable thing.
    Written for yr6 debate

• Ihate it o

Yyyyy hhhsj kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk jjksjkakjskja jak,asjk j s s s e f g h h de e r t y h nn v d as sd f f f gf f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f

• Ihate it o

• Fear is Fake

Fear doesn't exist. We self-manufacture and customised to fit our pleasures. Our thinking thoughts and those who had lived before us help craft our mind-limitation. Such words as success, achievements, wealthy, rich are nicely worded to hid fear. In fact these words are the main culprit sowing fear in our minds. With the aid of thinking(past, yesterday,anxiety) it feeds fear of non-existing terms such as the one i've mentioned above. NOTHING is the truth unless its ou own version.

• Fear holds back

In my world and opinion having fear can restrict and even cause injury. I'm am amateur mtn biker and rock climber, and olif I have fear it means I'm timid and that can be a terrible thing, I've seen too many people get hurt just they don't let the power of the brain and natural coordination between brain and body work it's course. But all in all of you use common sense you don't need fear.