Is feminism now just sexist and not promoting equality?

Asked by: a0l0x
  • Unfortunately, the answer is yes.

Nor is it sexist just now either; it has been that way ever since the likes of andrea dworkin, robin morgan, and kate millet grabbed a bunch of KKK pamphlets and simply crossed out the N-word and scribbled in the M-word on top of it. In fact, it had to be bigoted right off the bat because its about womens' rights and not peoples' rights.

The result is that women today largely center their lives around living up to the malignant ideals of such bigots by co-opting the role of their formerly all-male oppressors. To this end they have been wildly successful to put it mildly: women have now surpassed men in every walk of life (with the possible exception of sitting around the TV set passing the spliff); and pushed them into burger-flipping jobs if their lucky (and into corporate gulags if their not). So why then, should these women continue to be afforded special legal privileges as "victims" (divorce court, false rape charges, etc), when its quickly becoming the other way around??

In the face of such hypocrisy, one cant help but wonder if feminism wasnt invented by a man. And it was: a man named david rockefeller. That prolly explains why feminism hasnt made women like more any more equal to anyone else. The appalling behaviour of those women who have achieved the feminist ideal of becoming the oppressor also proves that the problem with oppressive power circles is there mere existence, and not the ratio of penises to vaginas in their membership.

• Feminism is not about equality and hasn't been for a long time.

I have to laugh whenever I hear feminists give the dictionary definition of feminism a lot of the posters across the page do. I always ask a feminist when they give the dictionary definition of equality to show me examples of how it has worked out for men. They NEVER can. They usually retort with : they're men's issues, men need to fix them themselves, or men's inequalities are created by the patriarchy; or the best yet: you're a sexist misogynist pig for bringing up men's discriminations. When I try help them with examples of male inequalities such as: education, family, health, government spending, they even get more defensive. They just CAN'T provide examples of how feminism has done anything for men. On the contrary I can then provide plenty of examples of how feminism has actively fought men in their pursuit of equality: feminism fighting paternity equality, feminism fighting educational changes to help boys, to list just a two. There are plenty more. And in response to the usual: "Not all feminist are like that" as one poster did across, well maybe not all, but 99% are. In fact I have yet to meet a feminist of the 1000s I've met who will not only speak out for men's rights, but will actively fight against them. Also, where are all these supposedly good feminists speaking out against the radicals? Exactly...They don't exist.

• There are many cases in which feminism is now not promoting equality.

Have you ever wondered why, almost 100% of the time, in divorce cases, the mother gets custody and the father pays child support? Have you ever wondered why, when a girl sees a guy naked, he is arrested for indecent exposure, but when a guy sees a girl naked, he is arrested for being a peeping tom. Feminism now just supports superiority of women to men

• Equality is a myth perpetuated by ideals that are not grounded in reality.

Feminism claims it wants men and women to be equal. However how can men and women be equal if they are not the same? Feminism is based off of feelings rather than reason if it wants men and women to be equal. The biological functions of a female and male are not up for debate and shouldn't be because they cannot be altered with mere words. Some brands of Feminism suggest equality in areas where there is equal performance. That could be agreed to by many across the globe. However, in modern America we still have significantly different expectations for females and males. This is the case and will remain the case. Let us be honest, why did majority of women enter the workforce after World War II? It has to do with America becoming a consumer society which has made work and society much easier for all of us. Take away the consumer society, modern America wouldn't be so nice as it is now. Feminism is a mere side effect of the industrialization. On in a luxurious society could such ideas be even taken seriously.

• Feminism should find a new path in some kind of Equalism or Genderism

Most of the arguments (and even the name) lean towards fighting females. This rightfully needed to be done in the past. However, this is not a new concept and what we should be aiming for is gender equality in general. Men also face inequalities and have certain social expectations placed upon them.

To campaign specifically on either side against the other is in itself discriminating. Like with race issues, now that racial equality is largely recognized, the aim is focused on quality between the groups, not a campaign from each race fighting against the others.

By acting together as men AND women there is better chance of achieving feminism's aims. By keeping it as a women vs men strategy seems to be fighting for the sake of fighting rather than getting together and eradicating inequalities.

• Yes. Both the word and the practice.

Every woman I have met who called herself a feminist was also a sexist. I might change my mind when i actually meet a feminist who is not a sexist.
    The word itself, feminism, implies something feminine, and so excludes males. I fight for equality, be it gender-equality or any other kind, rather than feminism, which is feministic the way I see it, both the word and the practice.

• Misandry masked behind "equality"

Feminists say their toxic dogma is about equality and that misandrists aren't "real" feminists, but I beg to differ. Feminism is defined by most dictionaries as the the belief in equality of the sexes, but some of them also include the definition of "organized activity on behalf of women's rights." If you want to get technical, hating men is not even inconsistent with feminism. By some definitions, feminism is primarily focused on the advancement of women's rights. You can advance women's status by making them equal to men (even though in westernized countries, we already are) AND you can do so by putting them above men or actively working towards bringing men down. It all falls in line with the ultimate goal of advancing women's position in society. Just because it's a negative consequence doesn't mean it negates the goal completely, and that's why misandrist feminists can't be written off as not being "real" feminists.

Posted by: XOXX
  • Because they don't fight for equality.

I read something about feminists sticking notes in kids presents during Christmas and it basically told the kids that the toy they got was sexist, so for example let's say a little boy got a toy gun he is told by these feminists that this toy is sexist because it wasn't given to a girl. Also they could be spending more time trying to help the homeless or feed the hungry but no they have to go around wasting time and contributing nothing to the community. It is not about equality it's about superiority and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• We don't need it in America.

I believe that there are many countries where feminism is needed. However, if you want equality in America, discard feminism. It went from a powerful, righteous movement that set both genders free from stereotypes to a whiny, hypocrital, annoying cause that believes saying 'hello' is sexual harassment and ironically treats all women like helpless flowers brainwashed by the non-existing patriarchy.

• Here is explained better than I could

Please take the time to back up all of your arguments, because a lot of the arguments against this are just men getting upset because we're finally not taking it anymore, and they feel that they are somewhat losing their masculinity by becoming our equals. I suggest that before you say yes, read this. http://sites.psu.edu/peep/2015/04/15/a-reply-to-lauren-southerns-why-im-not-a-feminist-by-jenna-christian/

• Feminism takes place all over the world

Feminism is very different in western countries then in many other countries through out the world where women are treated as second class citizens with out rights and equality. It may look very different here in western countries but by supporting feminism it does not mean that you are unsympathetic to males who are not treated equally. This has been a political movement that highlighted the inequality when put into contrast with men, women have suffered much more through out history. There are various videos demonstrating why feminism is important in modern society, when i saw the video of a women walking down the street in america who was being sexually harassed and catcalled, it pointed out how women are treated differently. As a male i have never experienced it and i rarely ever witness it but just because i do not see it does not mean it does not exist. When a guy sees a girl on her own he believes he may have the RIGHT to be acknowledged or have the RIGHT to a girls attention, but he does not and if that female says she is not interested there are various responses she may be subject to from; sexual harassment, being called nasty names, calling them ugly, following them, raping them, touching them grabbing hold of them and subjecting them to treatment they would never dare to do in front of their own mothers. Feminism is speaking out against the inequality subjected to them, they are not trying to put themselves on a pedestal and look down at men as insignificant or below them they are asking for the same respect and quality of life a man may receive. I do not believe they all hate men, i do not believe they are uncaring to the inequality amongst men who may for example be sexually harassed and be judged, or a man who receives abuse in there relationships and can not speak out because of shame in a society where he may be ridiculed. This is a movement trying to highlight inequality. Its not to say the only issue worthwhile is amongst women. I think just because it starts with 'fem' you associate it with just for women but i want women to be treated better i want my sisters to be treated better i want my mum to be treated better i want to live in a world where my nieces or daughters one day can live in where we do not have to worry about inequality.

• The lies propagated by the radicals

I am a feminist and a REAL feminist recognises that discrimination against men is as equally valid as discrimination against women. I do acknowlege that women and men ARE paid the same for the same work and working hours, if a women chooses not to change her last name after marriage, she has to justify it for the rest of her life, men are ridiculed for reporting sexual harassment. Most feminists are not radicals, but it's always the most radical getting all the attention. True feminists want men to have rights.

• I think people have a misunderstanding of feminism

The major problem with this is that not all "feminists" are the same. Feminism is defined by the person who claims they are one and it can be defined in any way. Most women who call themselves feminists (myself included) believe that women should just be treated as equal human beings with equal human rights. I think we're in real danger of dismissing feminism because of the actions of a few radicals. But, just like not all Germans are Nazis and not all religious people are crazy fundamentalists, not all feminists hate men. Most do not. But there is still a HUGE need for feminism - as is evident in the wage gap and the depressingly few women holding top managerial positions in major companies.

• Feminism is NOT sexist.

People are saying that feminism is becoming just "sexist" which I'm guessing refers to the fact that women have started to hate males in favour of women. I'm here to say that well that may be happening that is NOT feminism. Feminism is about equality and anything that is not equal is not actually feminism. It's just people that have a mixed up version of what feminism is, caused by ignorance and false information. And the fact that so many, both men and women, scorn feminism has probably caused an unbalance and I can't blame people for getting pissed off by it (not that it excuses ANY sexist comments or behaviour).

All I'm saying here is that the idea of feminism is equality. Any feminism that doesn't concentrate on that is not real feminism. And as a women and also a feminist myself, it is important that people realize that.

• I'm a feminist, and I respectfully disagree.

We all have different opinions on this, obviously. My best friends are mostly girls and the girls think men and women should be equal, however, they hate boys. For me, that isn't the case. I love boys. Well, not romantically. I'm not saying that women should have power, but equality. I want that is in this world. Did you know that, in 47 states it is legal to make the price on items go higher? Just because they're females! No, if the price says it's the price then it is! Don't overcharge (or whatever the word is) us females! A boy in my class said that boys are strong and girls are weak today, and that's when I became a feminist! I fought back in class, saying "No, that isn't true, [name]!" and arguments broke out. Boys tell me I throw like them, and they never have told me that I throw like a girl. I don't want boys to have the power, the scale needs to be balanced, not one side falling! Thanks for knowing my opinion on this.

• Feminism is not now just sexist.

Feminism is not now just sexist,True feminism promotes equality between both genders so people who believe in feminism are all about promoting equality.Some men may claim this because they feel threatened when their place of power is compromised but if they just thought about it they could be feminists as well.

• People Aren't Looking Hard Enough

Feminism is seen in a negative light I think because people think in this day and age think feminism is unnecessary. Women are doctors, lawyers, and politicians, they can vote-everything is equal, right? Wrong. The average American male makes a dollar for every 89 cents of the American female. I've heard it said by students at my school that a woman doesn't love her kids if she doesn't stay home with them, but men going to work? Oh yeah, that's fine.
    Feminism is meant to fight these things. I have never personally met a feminist who says women are better than men, and I think those types of feminists are rarer than people think. When they do exist, they are awful outliers, like the Westboro Baptist Church is to Christians. Feminism as its meant to be is not like that.

• You're missing the point

A lot of people believe it's Anti-Man, it's not. Contrary to popular belief, Feminism is about equality, sure, 99% of it focuses on women, mainly because if you're a women or a feminine man, you're seen as "weak". There are still sexist adverts and kitchen jokes going on and society just lets it slide, but when women ask for respect, we're suddenly the sexist ones. Men should be respected, but women aren't really getting the recognition they deserve, ya feel? It doesn't matter what gender you are, we're still human. Also, we just want society to stop shoving gender roles down out throats, I mean if we want to cook, clean and take after children, that's our choice, and if we don't, that's our choice too. Also, feminism does not equal lesbianism either, I mean, if you're a lesbian, that's fine too, but supporting equality and asking for a little more respect does not make you a lesbian.

• Feminism Isn't Sexist

Feminism is not even close to sexist. Nothing about feminism states that the so called "Hate Men", if a feminist hates men it is purely because of something she/he has experienced with a man. But some feminist are no longer promoting equality and have began to stop caring about these problems in this world.