Is four Years of Mandatory English Class in High school Necessary?

Asked by: ramramgeorge
  • English is a general and all purpose skill.

High school is designed in order to build a general education, which English is apart of. Not requiring English is like not requiring math. They are both used in almost every field (English in more) and are necessarily skills to do any kind of advancement. You many argue that English in later years is more study of history and literature then anything else, but the same can be said for science or social studies both are there to expose you to a general field and both are required.

• It would appear so.

"Is four Years of Mandatory English Class in High school Necessary?"
    I see several grammatical errors within this one sentence. It would be safe to assume that there would be more if not for "Mandatory English Class"es. Our school system, although far from perfect, is designed to provide the best opportunities for it's citizens while keeping them from becoming illiterate, which I feel mandatory
    English classes do provide.

• Should be required

English should be required; you use this skill in everyday life and for jobs, resumes, college, and just in general. Heck, we're doing that right now! Literature teaches the importance of having your own emotions and own personal and political views. In fact, we are all expressing that right now. We learned that because of English class!

• English is more than the study of correct grammar, punctuation and spelling.

I am in favor of high school students being required to take four years of English, (or whatever is the official language of their region) because it helps students learn to communicate thoughts and ideas more effectively.

I do however believe that much of what is taught in English class, is ineffective in teaching students how to communicate in more than one style. I think that the study of HipHop lyrics use of language, should be given serious consideration, for maybe a semester (mandatory) or more than a semester as an English elective, for two reasons.
    #1 - to promote cultural awareness of students that don't have direct contact with HipHop culture,
    #2 - to promote interest in students who find standard American English less than exciting.

The use of language and the means of verbal and written expression is more than just following sets of rules,; it can be a liberating experience that builds confidence and erases misunderstandings.

• We should specialize.

While I do think we need to have a certain amount of general education, by high school we should be allowed to choose. If you know you;re going to major in something in the STEM fields, then another physics class would probably benefit you more than reading Shakespeare. Likewise, I study politics, did I really need to learn anything past algebra II? I would have preferred another year of Gov't/Econ or English.

• It is pointless

I literally learn nothing in there if anything they teach us the same bullshit they we've learning for the past 11 years so how is this going to help me in the work force? Will the employer be like oh you know how to write a sentence an understand poetry congratulations you've got the job.

• English is the same stuff every year

Since freshmen year, all my English classes have been the same. Read a book, do some analyzing junk, write an essay, then take a class, and two times in each year you also have to write an argument essay, one of them you must present. There was nothing majorly different in any of my years, I never learned many new things, you just use the exact same skills you learned. So no, 4 years of English is unnecessary, and for some reason, schools emphasize English as if it will come necessary in your future. Not true. Since when will I ever have to read a book, and analyze all details. Screw english class.

• Already know english

I already know English and no average person cares about grammar. I can also use grammarly. I certainly don't need to learn how to dive deep into book and analyze them. The only reason this is a required class in high school is because some people are anal about the language and some teachers need their jobs.

• Teaches kids to think emotionally instead of critically

English class is all about reading and reacting to literature under the false pretext it helps with criticall thinking. While in actuality you have to just classify things by their literature and learning only ancient ideas. This course needs to be taught in a way where we make big decisions based on evidence and not emotions, then we can have no more people like hitler or trump who abuse the emotional masses fear and anger.

• A different sight of mind

When it comes to certain people such as my self, we read things differently and it makes it impossible to get into the single minded people the school forces you to be. I'm not saying all of english is bad, just imperfect by far comparing all people. Agrivating at the most

• English is necessary to communicate effectively

What criteria was used to determine 4 years of English makes me more effective at communication rather than three or two? Standardized tests are one measure, class grades are another. The job market today requires more computer based skills rather than written skills. Why not allow students to choose three years of science and three years of English?

• Should not be required after middle school

English teachers tell me their classes are important because "no matter what job you have you'll have to write a letter to someone." So what? If you can't read and write decently by 9th grade maybe there should be an english class for people who are struggling with english but if I needed to write a letter to someone asking them to do something or asking about something or whatever the letter is about I don't think the recipient of the letter is going to just ignore me because my letter was not formal enough for them. We live in a modern day, no one talks how we are taught to write. If my letter gets the point across clearly and isn't 100% grammatically correct who cares? English class is a waste of time for most people and should be offered as an elective. Is reading flowers for algernon going to help you get a job one day? Did't Think so

• High school English courses are unnecessary.

Beyond learning vocabulary, grammar, spelling, reading, and writing, English class morphs from a proper core class into an elective. A majority of the curriculum in high school English is based on reading and writing poetry and analyzing 30+ year old books. These seem to me as characteristics of an elective art course rather than one that should be forced upon all 9th through 12th graders. Additionally, when these classic books are shoved down the throats of students, the students develop a hatred for the book which is unfair to the student and the author. And the fact that analyzing literature is mandatory as opposed to other arts such as music and drawing, is an insult to those arts. However I do not believe in dismantling the English class itself. A reworked class, in which a majority of the curriculum is focused on proficiency in reading and writing would be much more appropriate as a mandatory course.

• I think it is not needed if you already speak the language

Who in the hell is going to write a letter in MLA format a text message or a email...NOWONE!!!! Who on there resume for a fast food store is going to put "took 4 years of English " or "I can write in MLA" on a fricking resume come on. All of the English teachers reading this.
    ENGLISH CLASS SUCKS!!!$@&@!&@