Is four Years of Mandatory English Class in High school Necessary?

Asked by: ramramgeorge
  • Better for America

Rfglt frt thhth tht ht ttt ht ht t tt tt t tttt tt tt tt t ttt tttt t ttttt t tt thtthtth h thhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h h hhh v v v v v v v v v vn n n n nhtt

• English is a general and all purpose skill.

High school is designed in order to build a general education, which English is apart of. Not requiring English is like not requiring math. They are both used in almost every field (English in more) and are necessarily skills to do any kind of advancement. You many argue that English in later years is more study of history and literature then anything else, but the same can be said for science or social studies both are there to expose you to a general field and both are required.

• It would appear so.

"Is four Years of Mandatory English Class in High school Necessary?"
    I see several grammatical errors within this one sentence. It would be safe to assume that there would be more if not for "Mandatory English Class"es. Our school system, although far from perfect, is designed to provide the best opportunities for it's citizens while keeping them from becoming illiterate, which I feel mandatory
    English classes do provide.

• Should be required

English should be required; you use this skill in everyday life and for jobs, resumes, college, and just in general. Heck, we're doing that right now! Literature teaches the importance of having your own emotions and own personal and political views. In fact, we are all expressing that right now. We learned that because of English class!

• English is more than the study of correct grammar, punctuation and spelling.

I am in favor of high school students being required to take four years of English, (or whatever is the official language of their region) because it helps students learn to communicate thoughts and ideas more effectively.

I do however believe that much of what is taught in English class, is ineffective in teaching students how to communicate in more than one style. I think that the study of HipHop lyrics use of language, should be given serious consideration, for maybe a semester (mandatory) or more than a semester as an English elective, for two reasons.
    #1 - to promote cultural awareness of students that don't have direct contact with HipHop culture,
    #2 - to promote interest in students who find standard American English less than exciting.

The use of language and the means of verbal and written expression is more than just following sets of rules,; it can be a liberating experience that builds confidence and erases misunderstandings.

• High school English courses are unnecessary.

Beyond learning vocabulary, grammar, spelling, reading, and writing, English class morphs from a proper core class into an elective. A majority of the curriculum in high school English is based on reading and writing poetry and analyzing 30+ year old books. These seem to me as characteristics of an elective art course rather than one that should be forced upon all 9th through 12th graders. Additionally, when these classic books are shoved down the throats of students, the students develop a hatred for the book which is unfair to the student and the author. And the fact that analyzing literature is mandatory as opposed to other arts such as music and drawing, is an insult to those arts. However I do not believe in dismantling the English class itself. A reworked class, in which a majority of the curriculum is focused on proficiency in reading and writing would be much more appropriate as a mandatory course.

• We should specialize.

While I do think we need to have a certain amount of general education, by high school we should be allowed to choose. If you know you;re going to major in something in the STEM fields, then another physics class would probably benefit you more than reading Shakespeare. Likewise, I study politics, did I really need to learn anything past algebra II? I would have preferred another year of Gov't/Econ or English.

• I think it is not needed if you already speak the language

Who in the hell is going to write a letter in MLA format a text message or a email...NOWONE!!!! Who on there resume for a fast food store is going to put "took 4 years of English " or "I can write in MLA" on a fricking resume come on. All of the English teachers reading this.
    ENGLISH CLASS SUCKS!!!$@&@!&@

• English class has changed over the years

English is not what it used to be like, It's more of a reading class than a English class. They might as well call it reading and not English. Why is history, science, and math not mandatory all four years but English is? I find it crazy in my opinion.

• Niggers are awesome

I love them hhghghghghghhghghg h h h h h h h h h h h h h h hhh h h hh h h h h uhfu9fiufu 99vozgjpgh8 ji ujigiu8gjgi u8-bb8u y h h h h h hh h h h hh h h h h hh h h h h hh

• It a a basic skill already learned

By highschool, anyone with enough intelligence to get a decent job already has the knowledge in English to write and read logically, It should be a remediation class for those who have demonstrated that they do not have the skills necessary to function autonomously. It would open space for other other academics

• Other classes are more important

What values does English really teach someone? How to make a good argument? Be a politician? Sure these are two good skills, but we are living in a money driven world. To get anywhere, one has to know how to spend wisely and do taxes. Computer technology is starting to become very important as well. Isn't also necessary to really be able to dissect what is current with the world? These things are equally or even more important than knowing all the synonyms of big and how to rhyme, yet my school has most of the classes that focus on important things are being restricted to seniors and happen fewer times a week.

• There are more important subjects.

People are not very fond of politicians and complainers, which are people who have good skill with language control. However, politicians make up a small portion of the population, but everyone must pay their taxes. Everyone has to deal with money, yet at my school, people are forced to take this class for four years, and economics is only available to seniors as an optional class.

• High school English is a waste of time.

I agree with most others here, basic English skills are learned before high school. In high school most of what was taught was reading books and then doing book reports on them. This isn't really teaching English as a language. It is teaching the opinion of controversial books in most cases. This has no place in out school system. We can be objective on our own. There is no reason to teach it in school. We should emphasize our English skills in other classes we have to do reports in.

• Students should not be forced

In elementary school... I get it... English class should be necessary in elementary school, but in high school?

People say that English class in high school improves "quantitative critical thinking", presentation skills, and literacy skills.

However, it should not be mandatory in High School for ALL FOUR YEARS. High school is suppose to be the transition between elementary (where you were on a leash) to university (where you are entirely independent). Therefore, it seems reasonable and not hypocritical to force students to take a course all four years when many of them would not need to know Shakespeare or random books and the conspiracies (I mean thesis) they made up for it.

Besides, much of what English is meant to teach you is easy (for most) to learn and can easily be further enforced in elementary school and instead of having your 4 years of choosing your course for your career, you have another period wasted due to English.

I totally agree with the fact that English should be mandatory in elementary school, but not in high school. A simple reform of the English curriculum for grades 2-8 that teaches them "qualitative critical thinking", essay writing, grammar, spelling, presentation skills, and group work is easy and will be just as effective as making it mandatory for the first for years of independence (partial independence or full independence depending on circumstance).