Is Fox News a propaganda arm of the Republican Party?

Asked by: progressivedem22
  • Oh absolutely they are!

Fox news doesn't report news. They report "news" tailored to their needs to support the Republican party. Only things that meet the requirements of the Republican view. It is a classic example of the press framing issues. It is quite bothersome to think that the Fox Network would sink so low to blatantly harass the Democratic party. Some might argue that CNN does the same thing. This may be true but it is nowhere near what Fox does. Fox just uses current events and twists them to meet their needs of Republican advertising.

• Most FOX News is not based on careful investigation, reporting with balanced presentation of different perspectives

In watching a recent interview in which a Trump supporter was interviewed along side a representative of the Democrats' perspective, the moderator and Trump supporter, interrupted, overspoke, got off topic, started bringing Hillary Clinton into the discussion when the Democrat was saying, we're talking about the elected, present President not a former candidate anymore. I sensed a pre-conceived agenda on the part of Fox News to devalue, disqualify, and just drown out this alternative view. This is similar to what pro-Soviet media used to do before the fall of the USSR when I would listen to it in Germany in the mid-80s. FOX now has all the hallmarks of at best poor television journalism and etiquette and at worst of brazen pro-Trump (not even Republican-- since Mueller is a Republican as are many of his supporters) PROPAGANDA with all of the blurring of truth and fiction that go along with that classification.

• Roger Ailes was adviser to 3 GOP presidents

No media outlet has the kind of connections to a single political party that FOX does. Rupert Murdoch is a libertarian. Roger Ailes was an adviser to 3 republican presidents before he died. Just finished Fire and Fury and Trump and RNC officials were constantly meeting with Roger Ailes before he died and Rupert Murdoch to coordinate strategy and messaging. Trump recently met with Sean Hannity and other Fox news people at Mar-a-Lago to discuss issues and followed with an orchestrated theatre about a mass caravan coming over Mexico border and a national guard build up at the border for added emphasis and drama. All to satisfy the FOX NEWS base. The FCC needs to regulate news media like they do advertising. You cannot lie or mislead in advertising and it should be the same with news. A principled and truthful press is essential to a strong democracy. FOX News should come with a warning that it is not real news but opinion.

• Fox news is often wrong! They've had to retract stories!

Even former employees call it a propaganda machine! They cater ONLY ro republicans. Everything is viewed through a red filter.
    I tried ro watch but i can't stomach bow god-awful their 'reporting' is.
    It's almost laughable if it wasn't for the fact that they have their viewers brainwashed.
    I know people that watch it so much that the fox logo is etched on to their monitors!

• Obviously, MSNBC for left

I agree with them on a lot of issues, but their support of Trump irritates me, as well as their ideas of gun control. I kind of agree on illegal immigration, why should all of the aliens be kept in USA... MSNBC does similar job on the left. Tucker, stop interrupting, especially if you loose a debate

• Fox News is propaganda

I sometimes switch from mainstream news networks like CNN to Fox News to see how they spin a story. Whenever I do this I often find they are not highlighting the same stories as all of the other networks, and it is like stepping into an alternate reality. It is one reason why so many FOX viewers are so poorly informed on many issues like the Russia Investigation. It is also a major reason they can be so easily manipulated by fake news, because Fox is a prolific purveyor of fake news. Just look at how FOX has created fake scandals like Uranium One and the disinformation contained in the Nunes memo.

• Fox News is propaganda

• Fox News Is Propaganda To Support Republicans

I record all news shows on all networks daily and blast through reviews on each daily skipping commercials etc. Anyone with an IQ over 10 can figure this out. Watch Sean Hannity, Lou Dobbs, etc, etc - then go research the truth - through all news sources, government agencies, etc, etc. No brainer - total propaganda nonsense...

• I have a greater than two digit IQ (personally, I'm Mensan like many liberals) and live in reality. Therefore, I can determine when Fox lies.

Therefore, the answer is "obviously".

The journalistic standards at Fox News are non-existent, and they use fake experts who hold no knowledge regarding the subjects they claim to represent. Their questions often start with a flawed premise- such as currently, their Chyrons call the current conservative government shutdown a "Democrat shutdown". This is a flat lie, and misleads their viewers into reinforcing false personal beliefs not backed by reality. It is not a matter of opinion, nor open to debate.

There's no comparison to real news like CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, BBC or other such networks. Conservatives are slow, and therefore confuse opinion segments as "news" segments, which they are not.

Fox journalism would not pass Journalism 101, even in a bad college.

• In posting the Democratic Party in a bad light

Fox will report that one Democrat stated in a Tweet or other Media a comment that is in fact deplorable and then insinuate therefore that this is how Democrats are. However, what other News outlet would make use of one comment from one GOP to show how the entire party behaves?
    The sad part is the Fox viewers pointing their finger and repeating how terrible those Democrats behave -- all due to the comments of one bad apple. This is an example of misleading the public.

Posted by: JRG
  • Propaganda, Hell No!

Fox may lean right, yes but just because more people watch them, while liberals get all butthurt because Fox dominates cable news ratings doesn't mean its propaganda. One of their slogans is we report you decide, meaning they report news that is important and you get to decide your own opinion. Is all this clear now?

• Propaganda, Hell No!

• No, to only call Fox News a propaganda arm is blasphemous

Like Viet said, any news source has it's own bias. While admittedly Fox News leans relatively far right, to only call them a propaganda arm is just plain wrong. As multiple posters has mentioned CNN, I'd like to talk about MSNBC and say that MSNBC has become just as bad if not a worse offender than Fox News. Furthermore, Fox News does try to obtain a more balanced view by hiring liberal analysts to debate on TV. That's what Juan Williams is for!

In conclusion, to call Fox News a propaganda arm without looking at the other side basically shows that you have a decisively liberal mindset from the start.

• No each news outlet has it's own pro-party bias

Just as Fox News clearly has a pro-Republican bias and favors them implicitly all the time, other news outlets, like NY Times and sometimes CNN, have a liberal, pro-Democrat bias, esp. In opinions section on political/social/economic issues on NYT Thing is, Fox's bias and pro-Republican stance is overt and easy to detect, whereas other pro-Democrat outlets have their Democrat bias, rhetoric etc in a more nuanced, less aggressive, less blunt, and in a "so and so is a social cause" manner, which is less objectionable due to it's style than, say FoxNews' "Obama has done this/that".

Posted by: Viet