• I've seen them all

Over the years I've seen seen Jagger, Plant, Rodgers, Cocker, Stewart, Morrison, Mccartney and so so many others and all in their prime I might add, but there's something special about Freddie, it wasn't just his power and range, but his command of the stage is like nothing I'd seen before or since, it's really hard to explain to someone who hasn't seen him. Having seen most of the greatest frontmen I have to say Freddie is the best, it still gives me goosebumps when I think of that concert.

• Greatest Ever - Not much to argue about if you do some research!

Watch the Live Aid' video and some other videos of Freddie performing live in concert from the 70s and 80s and you will see what a great vocal range he has - his voice bounds out with joy and emotions like pure passion. Then go to youtube and type in Freddie Mercury Tribute concert and see some other big stars perform the songs of Queen. First thing you will notice is that none of them are nearly as good! Queen without Freddie Mercury was nothing compared to Queen with him. And he was a great frontman and entertainer also. Simply the best, better than all the rest ...

• Best singing range ever

I have been listening to pop/rock since the late 1940's, with rare exception nobody comes close to Freddie. The only singer who comes near is Roy Orbison. But for pure stage presence Mercury blows then all away. Queen was a awesome band to accompany him, but without Freddie the life went out of the party.

• Not even in question.

This guy is truly the best vocalist of all time, not only that but he is one of the best entertainers of all time also. This is my argument for people that disagree, you find an artist with the vocal range of Freddie Mercury, then i will gladly listen and rethink my decision, until then, Freddie is the greatest and the greatest missed.

• The best without doubt

He is the best vocalist of all time bar none! People need to realise that Freddie wasn't just the best vocalist of all time, but one of the best entertainers of all time too. Argument time, for the people that disagree, find an artist that can match his range, then i'll rethink my decision.

• The best without doubt

• Freddie Mercury is the greatest rock culture artist

Mercury was the greatest rock music singer and will hold the name forever. The reason for this statement isn't ofcourse only his voice features, but , as the history shows us, every legendary person draws our attention being a high level professional artist, performer, opening his heart and mind to people.

• The best there was, there is and there ever will be in rock music...The name 'Freddie Mercury'.....

Ever seen live aid? After that only a fool can argue that he's not the best voice in rock history... The one who can make the crowd swing......Beatles got the stupid girls screaming ....Freddie got EVERYONE singing with him ..The whole stadium singing together in unison... And that is enough to give any music lover goose bumps...... Something that even made Kurt Cobain jealous...

As for me: Robert plant, Jim Morrison etc etc. may be regarded as the gods of rock that I can listen to but never try to imitate.....As gods can never be imitated (if you try you get nowhere)....And after some time it feels boring...And then there are Freddie''s vocals....More of a common man's voice....Something that makes you wanna sing (that's why there are so many queen imitation bands around and a lot of them are making good money with it)....And that doesn't ever make me bore.....I feel like the show must just go on and on....And with so many queen hits it indeed does for a long time....I just play and play and play and sing on top of my voice and never get bored....SO IF I HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN GODS AND A COMMON MAN I'LL CHOOSE THE LATTER AS THAT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I AM A PART OF THAT.....Just like everyone in the stadium during Live aid or during Wembley '86 concert....Everyone's invited to join and sing along and forget all bad things in life....Makes you feel everyone else is just like you...A part of his humanity.......And thats why I CHOOSE FREDDIE..........

• Freddie was the greatest

I have never seen anyone with so much charisma, heart, vocal range, musical genius, sex appeal, variety, entertainment, ability to change styles of music cover so many styles of music, and add to that his piano ability and style and the fact he wrote his own material. You CANT FND ALL THAT TODAY!! If you ever doubt his superior talent, all you need do is listen to his memorial concert tribute...Some of the greatest so called talent of our age, and all performing His songs. I could not watch them, it was painful, there attempts all in vain and could not hold a candle to the original, unmatched Freddie.

• He had the best male vocal range

Being the best singer of all time is a very subjective thing to decide. If we are basing "best" by vocal range, then Freddie Mercury probably had the widest range of all time. There's a reason in the rock band games why most queen songs are in the 'Impossible' catagory.

• Not the best singer ever. John Lennon.

He is flashy and he can hit the high notes and hammer the low notes and his voice has a tremendous amount of power, but for me all that talent is nothing when compared to the raw emotion in Lennon's razor sharp voice. He is sharp as a knife and he can slap you in the jaw with rage (Twist and shout, Working Class Hero ), comfort you (Hold on, Beautiful boy), Inspire you (Imagine), depress you (Mother, Isolation).

I mean, he is a treasure that nobody will ever replace, so is Freddie. At least for me, he can make me literally weep like a child one moment, the next make me want to conquer the earth, the next moment make me political, the next moment make me sad, happy, pissed off and a big part of that is his voice. It is so fantastic.
    Even Mercury couldn't do that.

• You are joking right?

Without a studio to harmonize his voice Freddie was actually a poor singer. I was a biggest Queen fan back in the 70s. When I heard them live however it was obvious after a few minutes that he could not attain high notes. Instead he would distort final notes in order to even come close. Great showman YES....But he was a showman for a reason. He really could not sing a lick I am sorry to say. Listen vc losely on his live recordings. Studio albums dont count as everything is overdubbed to make his voice sound perfect

• Absolutely not the greatest singer of all time

Not even in the field of pop/rock. There are singers with wider vocal range, like Axl Rose and Paul Mc.Cartney. In his prime Paul had a vocal range of 5 octaves (one octave more than Mercury) and with his falsetto voice Paul had a range of six octaves. With his music Mc.Cartney is even more varied then Mercury. Another better singer than Mercury is Roy Orbison. Roy has had the best technique and is the only and true opera singer in pop/rock. Orbison already used opera elements in his early recordings.
    And as it comes to live performances the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, kicks Freddies ass. And so does Elvis, the one and only King!

• Definately not the greatest singer

Calling Mercury the greatest singer of all time is a load of crap. Not even in the field of pop/rock. Singers like Mc.Cartney and Axl Rose has an octave more vocal range than Mercury. Roy Orbison had the best technique of all of them. He is the true opera singer in pop/rock music. He already used opera in his early recordings way before Freddie. Mercury was a great frontmen, but James Brown kicks his ass. And so does Elvis.

• No. It's The Big O.

Roy Orbison is the greatest singer of all time.
    Mercury was an excellent singer and a great frontman, but he's no match for Orbison. Orbison had far greater range and power, which is why he was called the 'Caruso of rock'. Caruso of course being the greatest pre rock singer from the turn of the last century. Furthermore, unlike Mercury, Orbison never over sang songs, he had the musical intelligence to employ the power of his voice ONLY at the right moment, for maximum effect. One could go on all day about why Orbison is the greatest, but in the final analysis what matters most is the opinion of the biggest names in the industry. They, afterall, sing and perform for a living. You and I don't.
    I don't see many of them coming out and declaring Mercury the greatest singer. On the otherhand, Orbison has members of The Beatles, Bee Gees, Stones, U2, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley..Etc.
    These are the kinds of names I'd be inclined to listen to on the topic, as apose to some random fan on the net.

• No, the best singer of all time is James Douglas Morrison

James Douglas Morrison is a poet who wrote about real things and true emotions. He put those words into fantastic lyrics and his strong voice carried the message to the listener with great power. No singer has been able to do that since Jim, and I think no singer will be able to do that.

• I don't think so

While I do agree that Mercury was a good singer and was a pioneer in wrapping a sort of opera singing with modern music, I think Paul McCartney was the best. Either Paul or Elvis in just their voices, while I think Elvis had an outstanding voice, I think Paul was the best in just all the different ranges his voice could reach. In just singing alone I think there were a lot of people who could compete with Mercury, besides just McCartney I think Jim Morrison, and Led Zeppelin's singer Robert Plant could also be good competition as well.

• Definitely top 10

Idk. James Brown, Elvis Presley, Robert Plant, Axl Rose, Marvin Gaye Michael Jackson, these guys could give him a run for his money. But if I had to narrow it down, without a question, it's between Freddie, Elvis, and Michael Jackson. There's something about these 3 that no other vocalists could touch.

• Definitely top 10

Jack_D says2015-06-19T16:24:30.970
I thought he was great, I still have my Queen CDs from many years ago, but I wouldn't say greatest of all time. I would put him In the top 20, which is pretty high praise.