Is gender identification (post-birth) a mental illness, and if so should it be treated as such?

Asked by: DriftLord
  • Encouraging mental disorders is not great.

I'm all for "accepting who you are," but seeing nowadays everyone has jumped on he politically correct bandwagon of practically encouraging children from birth to not be their ACTUAL gender, something needs to be done.

If I identify as a fish, people would think I'm crazy... Actually come to think of it, liberals and SJW's and Tumblrtards would probably actually accept that, so never mind.

If you think you're something you're not, that's a form of mental disorder. And regards to gender, that's called Gender Dysophoria. It's a mental illness and people should try to help, not ENCOURAGE it. That's just stupid and taking political correctness too far.

• Illness's needs be treated.

If I break my arm should it not be mended, so that it moves as designed?
    If I develop cancer should it not be treated, to prevent it from spreading?
    If I have a stroke should I not be rehabilitated and taught how to function again?
    Why than do we not treat this disorder to return functionality, prevent further infection, and help us to heal?

• Gender Dysphoria is something that should not be taken lightly.

A small percent of the population is trans, which is about 0.03%. Many of these people have a mental illness called Gender Dysphoria, meaning despite being the sex they were born in, a person may strongly believe that they should be the opposite sex. This can cause depression, anxiety if untreated or with some people who do transition, some do end up regretting it. There are plenty of youtube videos of people who talk about deciding to detransition. Many quoting it is/was a huge mistake. I'd rather help someone feel comfortable with the sex they were born in rather than then seeing them hate themselves for changing their sex.

• Yes it is

Transgender is a brain chemistry mix up, similar to other Neuro chemical confusions such as schizophrenia, a over production of dopamine, but we don't see large sums of schizophrenics hanging sights that say "I'm a schizophrenic maniac and I'm proud!" However, many schizophrenics are actually logical and are quite slain . When taking schizophrenia medication.

• Two genders. That's it.

Look, even as a christian man, I'm still going to accept as yourself even if you're gay, transgender, whatever. I'm not going to judge. But making up new genders is just crazy. We have two biological and mental genders: Male and Female. Female minds and Male thinking processes differ, separating the two genders mentally.

Again, I'll accept you if you're gay, transgender, etc. But I'm gonna think you should get help if you think you're genderfluid-demiqueer-foxkin-i-sexually-identify-as-an-apache-attack-heliocopter-and-prefer-to-use-the-pronoun-HISSSSSS.

• Mental illness is not normal and shouldn't be encouraged

Gender dysphoria or gender identity disorder is the formal diagnosis used by psychologists and physicians to describe people who experience significant dysphoria with the sex and gender they were assigned at birth. I feel like the obsession with society today to hand-hold those with gender dysphoria, instead of addressing these peoples issues we are forcing their illness into normality, and ostracizing those who attempt to address this disorder.

• Absolutely if they think they were born in the wrong body.

I totally understand someone wishing to be born as the other sex. No issue with that. I don't even have an issue if they want to PRETEND to be the other sex. My issue starts when they CLAIM they are born in the wrong body and wants people to refer/accept them as the gender they want to be. No, you gender is determine by the sperm and egg of your biological parents. There is no such thing as born in the wrong body.

• Psychology (and mental illness) is wickedly complicated.

I'll share an example of a case study on gender identification.

The study followed a group of biological males (XY chromosomes) born with "ambiguous genitalia." Simply, they lacked any sex organs. Doctors instructed the parents to raise them as girls, even performing reconstructive surgery if necessary. These people grew into adults without being told their biological gender. As adults, the study found that some of the males had adjusted to life as females. However, a significant number had depression, another mental illness, tried transitioning back into males, or simply committed suicide because the gender they were assigned did not agree with the gender they "felt" they were.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this subject, or saying this case study is airtight proof one way or the other, but I think it shows there is a genetic component that goes beyond a simple "choice."

• Don’t use mental health concerns as a guise for intolerance.

Metal illness comes in varied degrees of shapes and forms. To argue that schizophrenia is comparable to identifying as transgender because of their mental relationship is like comparing a pistol to a grenade launcher based on their firearm relationship.

Who is to say that changing your gender to the one you identify isn’t a treatment? To define treatment, it is what takes an “illness” and provided a positive and healthy outcome for those affected. If they’re not having a negative effect on themselves or those around them, then there is no need for “rehabilitation”.

If you are going to criticize people for finding happiness through altering their appearance, then add piercings, tattoos, hair dye, plastic surgery, and any other sort of cosmetic alteration.

Gender is a spectrum, just like every other facet of humanity – it not black-and-white. As long as people are happy with themselves and aren’t hurting anyone, then they should not have to conform to a restrictive perception of “normality”.

nezu_c says2015-10-19T05:21:00.607
Don’t use mental health concerns as a guise for intolerance.