• Gentrification is bad

Gentrification takes a community that has worked hard to build it up and care for it, and removes all the people that worked so hard to get it there. The soul of a city is then removed by replacing a surf/craft shop that is run by and caters to local surfers, and replaces it with a Starbucks. While they make a good coffee, they have taken away what may have been a cultural landmark.

• Gentrification Has A Negative Impact

Gentrification has a negative impact on communities. Making a place more desirable for young, white hipsters may seem like a good idea, however in the process of this communities are destroyed. By building up businesses and putting in luxury condos the cost of living goes up and forces families who have been residents of neighborhoods for generations out.

• Gentrification is bad!!!!

Forcing removal of the poor people, people loosing their homes, taking the culture and creativity out of neighborhoods. How can gentrification not be seen as a bad thing? Have you ever wondered why people loose their houses for no reason? The answer is because of gentrification. Gentrification is for sure a bad thing.

• Xvxcvcvvv v v

V vv v v vv vv vv vv v vvv vv v v vv v v v v vv v vv vv v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v

• Gentrification is definitely bad

We need to look at this problem from a different perspective, especially from the view of poorer communities who have worked hard the past decade or so to build up their neighborhood, we need to look at stats and see the problem with our own eyes, in order to know how much the people are suffering, as they see all their hard work crumble into pieces just so it can be more suitable for higher class and fit middle-class taste. Gentrification is a prominent social issue and through cooperation, understanding and discussion, we can reach a compromise which will easily fit everyone's taste, whether its business-wise or not.

• The cons outweigh the pros

You see, that gentrification needs manpower, to both carry out and supervise the gentrification process. More manpower means more money, and the money comes from the government. And the government's money comes from taxpayers. There. Too much money is wasted. Also, gentrification needs planning, so time is also wasted. The end

• Gentrification is bad

In fact Gentrification will create huge social unrest, like Foxhill, there are 544 homes are being threatened with demolition Gentrification, their plans result in a loss of 241 social homes. Owners forced to be out of the city.. The prospect of seeing l village-type estate being replaced with upmarket homes at top market prices is creating anxiety and illness. Frieda Buckley has said that “what will Bath do if all the people are forced to live outside of this expensive city? In the end gentrification will create huge social unrest and we shall all – rich and poor – suffer the consequences.”

• I'm 14 and I no longer recognize my neighborhood.

I get that it helps build communities that fall. However, I live near the hood and I'm heartbroken to see people getting kicked out of there homes for white people! These people have nowhere to go and they end up getting moved to the Bronx. The Bronk hood is so dangerous and it's unacceptable. With all due respect, all the "hood" places are all we got and we're getting kicked out.

It's so easy for people to say it's okay and that the places are "breaking" because they don't know what it feels like to have children and no home. The cops near my house come in to check because of "complaints" and because the white people "don't feel safe."

I'm fine with white people moving in but not when they're tearing down the places I call home.

• Gentrification = Eminent Domain

Gentrification is the forced removal of people, and is akin to the (almost universally) hated Eminent Domain. In ED, the government takes your land and makes it a public place like an overpriced resort. Their logic is "Hey! It betters the community by increasing the GDP!" In reality, it is "I'm taking your land because I want it and it will line my pocketbook."

• I think it is both

Some people feel like they are being kicked out of their homes and then cant afford a place to live, or cant afford a decent place to live. But some people feel like new homes are being opened up and the living conditions are being improved, it is also said that once an area has been gentrified more tourists come. I think that it can be a good thing but also can be a bad thing

• Gentrification Is Bad

Gentrification is honestly more like a system in the sense that the cycle continues to occur. A poor neighborhood is present, rich people move in until eventually migrants and more poor,etc. Return it to its original state. Because of this, most of the gentrification cycle is spent in that "rich" stage until society changes and so does the landscape,poor,etc. Therefore to say it's a good thing is really a stretch because if you weigh the pros and cons the cons outweigh the pros. Gentrification creates businesses, but ruins them also. Gentrification raises cost of living, subsequently only the elite can afford it until the price declines. This means over half the population must depart. This causes the displacement of hundreds maybe thousands of people. Now they say "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few," but what happens when you have a widespread few that becomes the many? The the concept is reversed to where gentrification benefits the needs of the few rather than many it should serve. This is why in hindsight it might seem like a good idea, but in reality is not

• Gentrification Is Bad

• It improves the standard of living, and that's what matters.

This is such a stupid debate, there is no reason why we should have to keep talking about it. When rich people move out of cities, people complain. When rich people move into cities, people complain. I think the lesson here is that people will complain about everything.

Gentrification raises the cost of living for the poor, but it brings an economic net benefit to an area which negates that. Often these places pre-gentrification have sublime levels of poverty and crime coupled with state-wide lows of education standards, terrible infrastructure and public transportation systems and a generally low quality of living. The neighbourhoods should consider the movement of the wealthy into their areas a godsend, because it will open up more businesses and create more jobs, and create immense improvements in the areas I previously mentioned. It may seem a terrible change in the short run, but the benefits in the long run are definitely worth it for even long-time residents.

Http://www.Clevelandfed.Org/research/trends/2013/1113/01regeco.Cfm

• I Really Don't Think So

I don't understand why people have a problem with gentrification. This process makes it possible for some buildings to stand longer, for some buildings to receive proper care, and for some neighborhoods to improve rather than be in constant decline. Gentrification is a man made term to cover what I believe is a natural progression of change. It is not inherently bad. I think people who have a problem with gentrification have a general problem with change.

• Gentrification is not bad necessarily

I am a Mexican-American, and my hometown (Torreon, Mexico) is undergoing a sort of gentrification right now, and let me tell you, the city is improving.

During the peak of the drug violence era (2008-2013ish), in addition to the worldwide economic crisis, as well as HORRIBLE city government, the city was severely struggling:
    businesses (especially nightclubs and bars) closed left and right because of extortions and shootings, recruiting for cartels would happen even in some schools where cartel mules attended, the housing market CRASHED (my dad works in real estate and told me close to half of the real estate firms here were pushing bankruptcy.). In fact, one year we were ranked in the top 25 of the most dangerous cities...IN THE WORLD. Many people would hardly go out, in fact my mom would get paranoid If I went outside at night, even within my gated community neighborhood, let alone the downtown area.

1,087 murders with a population of roughly 667,000: https://www.elsiglodetorreon.com.mx/noticia/824118.cierra-2012-con-3-homicidios-diarios.html

Fast forward to today:
    The cartel wars in the area cooled down around 2014-2015, the economy was still in ruins, however, people were feeling safer going out and exploring. As the population was growing, more yuppie-targeting businesses began settling in (Starbucks, higher-end gyms, posh dining options, etc.) Gated communities since became the norm for middle-to-upper class living, resulting in small communities growing inside (restaurants, convenience stores, small bars, etc.), rising property prices in many of these new developments.

The results:
    Crime has gone WAY DOWN since then: For instance, murders went down to 110 in 2017 with a 700,000 population, 1/10 of the figures in 2012. Granted the cartel wars were a big factor, but at the same time, the improved economic conditions and overall safety allowed for more job creation, reducing crime incidence significantly. (https://www.Vanguardia.Com.Mx/articulo/se-disparan-en-un-13-homicidios-en-torreon.) One of the many criticisms of gentrification in housing is the rising housing prices pushing people out, however, there is a very positive flipside. My dad bought our house for roughly $600,000 pesos in 2006, it will most likely be worth roughly $1,100,000 pesos in the next couple of years just because of the growth of our side of town, (still paying what he paid years ago.) That has given many families a sigh of relief, as they now have the possibility of selling their appreciated property when they retire and move to a smaller house, adding a significant amount to their retirement check.

KEY POINT TO MENTION: Gentrification is evil when it is done through manipulative and unethical ways(ex. Illegally evicting people who you know are too poor to sue, bribing city officials to get permits to put your business, etc.) But gentrification in the sense of businesses noting a change in a neighborhood's demographic and opening a business can have very positive effects for a city's overall growth.

• "Gentrification" is a reverse euphemism for Progress.

The idea of how an underdog can overcome a larger opponent appeals to almost everybody. These "David vs Goliath" stories give hope to people that are struggling. Anti-gentrification protesting provides a release, a way of venting and acknowledging the emotions tied their homes and communities that they feel are threatened.

To be fair, the real estate and investment firms are racking in some healthy dough from the crazy housing market. Here is where we get into the 'supply n demand' effect and what the real problem is. The decrease in supply with the increase in demand means more profit. The real estate market secretly loves the anti-gentry movement for this reason. Real estate agencies benefit from the higher rents and development companies benefit from the increase in housing demand (in the contracting world, subcontractors will bid lower to get the job if only a few are available meaning more profits). Meanwhile..

A poor neighborhood will stay poor if nothing improves. Places that are building new housing will benefit from new tax income making improvements to schools and other services and infrastructure easier to pay for. The increase in population means more business opportunity and more jobs available locally. Generally, in places that gentrification is happening, diversity actually goes up (U.S. - ~70% white; Iron Triangle, Richmond - ~70% black -- somewhere in the middle is diversity) which makes for more vibrant and welcoming communities.

In conclusion, The side that wants to change and build has the risk of failure and mis-management that could end up not improving things at all or even make worse but at least it comes with the possibility of a better quality of life for future generations. The anti-gentrification side only has the possibility of decline.

• It helps the local economy.

Landowners are under no obligation to keep property values low for their neighbors. Any smart individual would want their property value to go up because you can sell it for more than you bought it. I mean seriously? A neighborhood improves and you complain? You cant blame someone who is successfully trying to make a living off of their land just because you cant afford to pay taxes on yours.

• Gentrification is nothing more than rehabilitating a ghetto.

A neighborhood of white people ia considered safe. A neighborhood of gays is trendy. Whats the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a black neighborhood? Maybe they should stop destroying their property values with massive criminality instead of as usual blaming everyone but themselves for their problems and behaviour.

• Gentrification saves communities

Gentrification helps to build communities that were once falling apart. I’ve lived in a really bad area that had mostly small businesses and it was very run down. The schools were horrible and there was a lot of crime. Bringing in bigger businesses and rebuilding is what that community need. If a small business succeeds and becomes bigger that’s great but companies like Starbucks, Walmart and Target bring in more job opportunities. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with white people moving into “black communities” this isn’t segregation times and no one has a monopoly on any town or neighborhood.