• Positive thinking is must

Thinking pattern plays an important role in any situation. Knowing own thought process and then covert into positive thinking may help in most of the situations, even at bad times. Most of the time our moods depend how we think about any situation. I think happiness is a choice, .

• Yes it is!

People have control over what they think and how they act, both of those can affect your mood or attitude. I know how people say that it isn't and how you don't have control, but you can. You can train yourself to choose happiness. Depression might be the main antonym of happiness but that doesn't mean they can't train themselves either.

• ABSO-Freakin-LUTELY it is!

When our brains are able to run around like toddlers with no discipline than we are going to naturally cling to negative thoughts. Our DNA has been wired to see things that could be potential threats. So this is why we are naturally attuned to negative people, events, places, etc. However, on the flip side of the coin lies the truth that we all just want to be happy & not suffer, but unfortunately a mind that has NOT been trained will run around searching for negativity. It's our responsibility as individuals to retrain our minds when the negative thoughts creep in. Start to become the "seer or noticer" of your thoughts/feelings. Take notice when a negative thought/feeling arises. Ask yourself where it came from? Why is it here? Does it serve a purpose? Do I need to act in some way? Get to know yourself & your thought patterns. And CHOOSE to exercise your right to re-write them. Meditation, Hoop Dance & Yoga are what helped me immensely. Those 3 have made me more aware of my body, my thoughts, feelings, emotions and also how I treat others. I found an article online (I'll post below) that talks about how helping others can elevate your own mood. So seek to help someone in someway each day. Maybe it's sending a sweet text, holding the door open for someone or buying the car behind you a latte. You may find that other things also help elevate your mood (exercise, eating healthfully, calling a friend, getting outside, watching a funny movie). Whatever practice you use to fix your mind, it must be done EVERYDAY. Just like taking an anti-depressant. You must take it everyday...Not only when you want. I choose NO FDA drugs for my body...So I had to figure out more natural and healthy ways to fix my own depression/PMDD. Natural feels WAY better. And I can honestly say sitting here at 41 years old that I am happier now than I have ever been. Not because my life is perfect, but I choose to see it as perfect.

• Oh yes !

I suffer from a bad case of OCD. If you don't know what that entails, it drags me down everytime something bad happens, and runs that record endlessly in my head. When I did not know what it was, it used to be hell- my inside voice used to drag me down into the dumps and keep me there.

However since I realized it was due to a chemical imbalance in the brain, and after reading up about OCD, happiness and choices that one has- one thing I can say with ABSOLUTE certainty- Happiness is a choice!! It's not as simple as it may seem, it does take a lot of work (especially for someone like me), but once you realize it, it becomes very clear. Happiness is a choice, it is a state of being.

• Happiness is infact a choice!

In different situations in your life, you have to chose to be happy or miserable! Sure you can be happy when you go to a movie, but there could be another kid watching the same movie, and just chooses to not watch it, and have to sit there and wait until it is over. It is your choice, and no one can change that!

• "All Sane People Choose Happiness...And Misery Loves Company"

All 'Sane' People Choose Happiness....And Misery Loves Company

I would argue that some people are happiest when they are "unhappy," or "miserable." They choose their path to happiness usually going down the narrow path, never enjoying things that are globally recognized as enjoyable. This is evolving and growing as well, we all have met a hipster before at this point there are so many of them. I live in ATX, and here the hipsters are so densely populated it's ironic and I love just observing this on a daily basis. You can't dress like you care about life or what the world has depicted the 'traditional grown up' to be or they just stare and scoff and laugh. They choose their happiness by choosing to take the opposite path of what makes everyone else happy..Including admitting the obvious fact that every individual chooses his/her/whatever they choose to become or be or evolve into/ for themselves. I remember reading the philosophical argument in school that one cannot sanely choose a truly (at its underlying core) "unselfish" action. Whether you are giving or taking, you get something from that choice of action. Whenever you volunteer time or give to the homeless or do a friend a favor you know he/she would never do for you...You feel great inside. The whole concept of "karma" has been spoken of and evolved throughout time for a reason, because people recognize the good feeling they get inside and this needed a name. The philosophical argument continued by stating that it could only insanity that could allow an individual to make a choice that would intentionally harm themselves, and thus as a sane person only make choices that ultimately benefit the individual. This does not account for the "insane", of course, who can make the decision for hurting themselves willingly.
    Therefore, if every choice can only be made to benefit oneself, I would say that all sane people choose happiness, whether seen and received by the outside world as traditionally "happy" or "unhappy".

• Superficial happiness and true happiness

I like to distinguish between superficial happiness, which is what most people imply when they talk about happiness, and true happiness, which may manifest itself as a state of bliss or peace. The first is always connected and dependend on the physical world in some way - it may be your car, house, partner, friends, clothes etc. All these things elicit the superficial happiness which comes and goes in accordance to the coming and going of these material things. I'm not saying this is something wrong, but I believe there exists a deeper, more true form of happiness which rests in existence itself, your awarness or ultimately what is your true self. This is a more balanced state which no longer depends on the contents of your life, e.g. your life situation. Being in such a state of bliss or peace even makes the physical world more interesting. Even the very nature of form; coming into existence and ceasing to exist, can be a very peaceful realization.

• Not always, but sometimes - yes.

Happiness isn't a choice in the sense of you wake up and say 'I'm going to be happy today', and BAM! - you suddenly are. But it can be a choice in the sense of general thinking patterns. You can choose to wallow in despair and feeling sorry for yourself if you have a bad day, or you can make a conscious effort to think of good things that have happened, or just lingering on those little sweet moments that we actually have every day, but sometimes don't notice. Yes, happiness can largely be determined by personal circumstances, but if you simply try to be happier on some days, I think it has an effect on your general wellbeing and contentedness. It might be huge, or it might be minimal, but it's SOMETHING. So in that sense...Happiness is a choice.

• Happiness is not a choice

Those who argue that happiness is a choice are still shackled by the classical liberal notion of freedom of will. This is in itself a mistaken. A choice to be happy cannot ensure happiness. If the outcome of our choice does not achieve our objective, happiness, then the choice to be happy becomes more an article of faith. Faith by it's very nature cannot be based on choice. Think about it!

• Happiness is not a choice.

If someone close to you dies or you experience a traumatic event - it's going to stick with you. You can work to shake it off and get over the bump in the road - that parts a choice - but life events aren't a choice and you can't have control over it. You can't chose to have perfect genetics. You can choose to work to balance out bad biological traits though meds and/or therapy. You can choose to change a lot of things but if it were as simple as saying "hey I'm going to be happy" everyone would be happy.

• No to happiness as a choice

If happiness is a choice then this would be the happiest place in the entire universe. Having fun is different from happiness. It's not a vendo machine or ice cream with different flavors that you have options to choose. We are dealing with life and feelings. Just a few cents from my mind.

• Depression cannot be controlled by will

Do you think suffering with depression is a choice? Well then you really need to experience it because I can assure you it is NOT. We do not choose to be surrounded by sadness. It happens.
    “Others imply that they know what it is like to be depressed because they have gone through a divorce, lost a job, or broken up with someone. But these experiences carry with them feelings. Depression, instead, is flat, hollow, and unendurable. It is also tiresome"
    Kay Redfield Jamison, An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness

• No, it is not.

Even though I force myself to smile or laugh I can't. I try to make myself happy but I just can't. It's not a choice. You can't just say 'okay, I'm happy" and feel like it. If you're not happy, you are not. Even if you laugh for a minute the second minute you'll go back to your sad mood, and eventually feel sad.

• Depression is a flaw in Chemistry, not Character.

It is wildly inaccurate to make the judgement that happiness is a choice. Mental disorders, such as Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, etc., almost always have their base in a genetic flaw a person has in their brain chemistry. It is not as easy as "just be happy".
    Religion is a choice, happiness is not.
    Environment is not always a choice, thus how could happiness be if it is dependent upon environment? Children who grow up in abusive households did not choose that, yet you say they inflicted their unhappiness on themselves?
    Completely no. No one with depression or any other mental illness ever thought to themselves, "Man, I really like feeling like I want to kill myself every single day."

• Depression is tough to beat

I suffer with depression and I have suffered with anorexia in the past. People who didn't understand my situation told me "oh just be happy" and "oh just eat". It's really not that simple. I would try and do the tongs I had previously enjoyed In my life and simply found no pleasure in anything. That's not my fault. I TRIED. I do believe some people pity themselves and don't do much to try and help themselves, but for those of us that do it is unfair to say we CHOOSE to be this way because you don't understand it. I hate ignorant people. Don't say something about a topic that you know nothing about.

• Sur What About Depression?

It's really obvious that people with depression don't choose to be depressed. More than half the time they wish they could, they wish that they could go back to the days when they weren't depressed. I was never depressed myself, but I am a psychiatrist and none of my patients actually wanted to be sad.

• It's not that simple

To say happiness is a choice is a gross oversimplification, and frankly, a dangerous one.
    Is it true that thinking positively and making an effort to be happy can make someone happier? Yes. But it's only one part of a much larger equation, which includes genetics, social support, culture, personal experiences, and much, much more.
    The choice to be happy isn't as much of a 'choice' as it's often made out to be. It's not like this website where you can just click 'yes' or 'no'. That 'choice' is actually the 'ability' to embrace a mindset, one which not everyone can even relate to, let alone conjure at will. And that's not their fault.
    I whole-heartedly encourage everyone to think positively. It does make a difference - sometimes a large one. But understand that nothing in psychology is that simple.

• No its not

When bad things happens you feel bad, when good things happens you feel happy. So if bad things happens and you choose to be happy you are in a fantasy island...Escaping from reality and not being honest for what you really feel...For example is my family got massacred and i choose to be happy?I was tortured and almost died but i choose to be happy?Really?