• Positive thinking is must

Thinking pattern plays an important role in any situation. Knowing own thought process and then covert into positive thinking may help in most of the situations, even at bad times. Most of the time our moods depend how we think about any situation. I think happiness is a choice, .

• Yes it is!

People have control over what they think and how they act, both of those can affect your mood or attitude. I know how people say that it isn't and how you don't have control, but you can. You can train yourself to choose happiness. Depression might be the main antonym of happiness but that doesn't mean they can't train themselves either.

• ABSO-Freakin-LUTELY it is!

When our brains are able to run around like toddlers with no discipline than we are going to naturally cling to negative thoughts. Our DNA has been wired to see things that could be potential threats. So this is why we are naturally attuned to negative people, events, places, etc. However, on the flip side of the coin lies the truth that we all just want to be happy & not suffer, but unfortunately a mind that has NOT been trained will run around searching for negativity. It's our responsibility as individuals to retrain our minds when the negative thoughts creep in. Start to become the "seer or noticer" of your thoughts/feelings. Take notice when a negative thought/feeling arises. Ask yourself where it came from? Why is it here? Does it serve a purpose? Do I need to act in some way? Get to know yourself & your thought patterns. And CHOOSE to exercise your right to re-write them. Meditation, Hoop Dance & Yoga are what helped me immensely. Those 3 have made me more aware of my body, my thoughts, feelings, emotions and also how I treat others. I found an article online (I'll post below) that talks about how helping others can elevate your own mood. So seek to help someone in someway each day. Maybe it's sending a sweet text, holding the door open for someone or buying the car behind you a latte. You may find that other things also help elevate your mood (exercise, eating healthfully, calling a friend, getting outside, watching a funny movie). Whatever practice you use to fix your mind, it must be done EVERYDAY. Just like taking an anti-depressant. You must take it everyday...Not only when you want. I choose NO FDA drugs for my body...So I had to figure out more natural and healthy ways to fix my own depression/PMDD. Natural feels WAY better. And I can honestly say sitting here at 41 years old that I am happier now than I have ever been. Not because my life is perfect, but I choose to see it as perfect.

• Oh yes !

I suffer from a bad case of OCD. If you don't know what that entails, it drags me down everytime something bad happens, and runs that record endlessly in my head. When I did not know what it was, it used to be hell- my inside voice used to drag me down into the dumps and keep me there.

However since I realized it was due to a chemical imbalance in the brain, and after reading up about OCD, happiness and choices that one has- one thing I can say with ABSOLUTE certainty- Happiness is a choice!! It's not as simple as it may seem, it does take a lot of work (especially for someone like me), but once you realize it, it becomes very clear. Happiness is a choice, it is a state of being.

• Everything is a choice

Happiness is a choice. We can't change what has happened, but at least we still have control on what is about to happen. If it didn't turn out well, so be it. If it didn't meet your expectation, so be it. Just go with the flow. Maybe letting your trouble go rather than thinking about it is best solution. If we are what we had experienced, shouldn't we learn to accept the existence of our unhappiness and acknowledge it that it exist to shape our life ? Dwelling on it is pretty much refusing to acknowledge it.

*Wabi-sabi (侘寂?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection.

• In MOST cases, happiness is a choice

Except for cases involving depression caused by biological chemical imbalances in the brain, happiness is a choice. I don't believe changing your perception of the world can cause major changes from severe depression to happiness, but I believe it can from mild unhappiness to mild or moderate happiness. I personally suffered from biologically-caused depression (dysthymic disorder) for years and suffered constant anxiety and feelings of worthlessness. As the years became more stressful, I realized I could not live the way I have been living for the past few years. I would not make it.

I tried to change my thought processes about situations that caused me frustration and depression. I'm not going to lie, it took a lot of time and constant effort. I had to continuously tell myself that being depressed or anxious helps nothing, and that there is no reason I should spend another second of my life not being happy. Choosing to be grateful for what I had and choosing to to acknowledge that life goes on despite the worst of situations DID NOT make me happy. But it helped me live through my depression until the chemical imbalance subsided. It made me HAPPIER, NOT HAPPY.

Happiness is PARTIALLY due to choice, changing your perception to be happy, if done with true determination to TRY AND BE HAPPY, will always make you happier, but if you suffer from actual depression, it may not make you happy, but it may help you live to the point where your depression goes away and you will be happier than you have been in your entire life. Depression does go away eventually, I promise every single one of you. It's worth it to try and be happy and fight through it. Everyday I now wake up with a smile on my face because just a while ago I didn't even know what happiness felt like anymore, but now I'm the happiest person I know and that is because I choose to be happy. Why choose to be sad when you can choose to be happy? Or at least happier. Try it, and actually give it some time to work.

• Happiness is a choice. Choose to be happy.

Most of the time, we hold the power to eliminate certain components in life that build up and make us unhappy. And even if we can’t literally do away with those “components” we still have the control of whether or not we allow them to affect us and make us unhappy.

• Your perception of happiness

I think that a lot of the people arguing that it isn't a choice have a somewhat distorted view of happiness, linking it to material items that are in the end impermanent. If you look for happiness in the small things that everyone always takes for granted, then you will find. To make the decision to look for the small things and be positive really depends on how you perceive happiness. Perception is deception. But, guess what? You are alive. Isn't that itself enough to be happy about? It is for me.

• Happiness is a choice.

The formula for happiness is simple. We don't need material wealth, a perfect job, or an exceptional relationship. In fact, it's possible to know happiness with no job, very little money, and no significant other. Happiness is a by-product of a healthy attitude. And a healthy attitude is one that takes the normal turmoil of life and mixes it with a belief in God's presence. The result is an acceptance of God's will and a certainty that, in spite of appearances, all is well.

• By reading the answers, one can tell who is happy in life

All the people on the no side made the conscious choice to argue against this notion. Fact.
    What prevents you from making the same conscious choice, to realise, that somewhere somebody is way worse off than you are, but happy nevertheless?
    What prevents you from simply stopping right there, on that precise spot where you are standing at this very moment, and smiling?
    Your own f*cking choice, that's what. Stop making lame-ass excuses about how bad your situation is, or how unhappy you are. Just smile and say:"Damn, am I happy today!"
    There is no logical reason, for why you cannot do it. All you have to do, is believe in what you just said, and it will automatically be true.

Posted by: goon
  • Happiness is not a choice

Those who argue that happiness is a choice are still shackled by the classical liberal notion of freedom of will. This is in itself a mistaken. A choice to be happy cannot ensure happiness. If the outcome of our choice does not achieve our objective, happiness, then the choice to be happy becomes more an article of faith. Faith by it's very nature cannot be based on choice. Think about it!

• Happiness is not a choice.

If someone close to you dies or you experience a traumatic event - it's going to stick with you. You can work to shake it off and get over the bump in the road - that parts a choice - but life events aren't a choice and you can't have control over it. You can't chose to have perfect genetics. You can choose to work to balance out bad biological traits though meds and/or therapy. You can choose to change a lot of things but if it were as simple as saying "hey I'm going to be happy" everyone would be happy.

• No to happiness as a choice

If happiness is a choice then this would be the happiest place in the entire universe. Having fun is different from happiness. It's not a vendo machine or ice cream with different flavors that you have options to choose. We are dealing with life and feelings. Just a few cents from my mind.

• Depression cannot be controlled by will

Do you think suffering with depression is a choice? Well then you really need to experience it because I can assure you it is NOT. We do not choose to be surrounded by sadness. It happens.
    “Others imply that they know what it is like to be depressed because they have gone through a divorce, lost a job, or broken up with someone. But these experiences carry with them feelings. Depression, instead, is flat, hollow, and unendurable. It is also tiresome"
    Kay Redfield Jamison, An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness

• No, it is not.

Even though I force myself to smile or laugh I can't. I try to make myself happy but I just can't. It's not a choice. You can't just say 'okay, I'm happy" and feel like it. If you're not happy, you are not. Even if you laugh for a minute the second minute you'll go back to your sad mood, and eventually feel sad.

• No, it is not.

• Not a choice

Ask anyone who has ever just plain woken up sad...Ask anyone who has suffered post partum depression...Or who has wanted to commit suicide. They choose happiness over and over...And can't...And the idea that an emotion is a choice--is insulting. How they handle it is a choice, but the condition of being happy or sad--not a choice.

• Emotions in general are not a choice, and it is upsetting and insulting to those who suffer from things like seasonal affective disorder and depression.

I have heard time and time again from people who think they should be happy--they are not--they "choose" happiness--and hormones, situations, genetics, whatever it may be--makes them unhappy. And the thought that they are judged further because they wake up sad--upsets them more. It is insulting to think it a choice.

• Depression is a flaw in Chemistry, not Character.

It is wildly inaccurate to make the judgement that happiness is a choice. Mental disorders, such as Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, etc., almost always have their base in a genetic flaw a person has in their brain chemistry. It is not as easy as "just be happy".
    Religion is a choice, happiness is not.
    Environment is not always a choice, thus how could happiness be if it is dependent upon environment? Children who grow up in abusive households did not choose that, yet you say they inflicted their unhappiness on themselves?
    Completely no. No one with depression or any other mental illness ever thought to themselves, "Man, I really like feeling like I want to kill myself every single day."

• Depression is tough to beat

I suffer with depression and I have suffered with anorexia in the past. People who didn't understand my situation told me "oh just be happy" and "oh just eat". It's really not that simple. I would try and do the tongs I had previously enjoyed In my life and simply found no pleasure in anything. That's not my fault. I TRIED. I do believe some people pity themselves and don't do much to try and help themselves, but for those of us that do it is unfair to say we CHOOSE to be this way because you don't understand it. I hate ignorant people. Don't say something about a topic that you know nothing about.