Is having a pro-life stance on abortion considered conservative and anti-progressive?

Asked by: Knightrius
  • It undermines womens' rights

In my opinion, it is anti-progressive. Being pro-life seems noble, but it denies women the right to choose what happens to their bodies and emotional state. To make progress, we must accept that women have the right to decide what happens in their own life, not deny them abortion because it's apparently 'murder'.

• "considered conservative" Yes!

This is just a silly question. If you are looking for progressives or liberals that are pro-life, sure you can find them. You can find conservatives that are pro-choice. The preponderance of pro-life have a right to far right lean, and pro-choice is the opposite.

Whats the point? What is the question really?

Posted by: TBR
  • Erronous, misguided image in questionnaire...

Women should have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. They should be allowed to have an abortion up until the foetus is independently viable. Before the foetus would be able (with modern medical technology) to survive outside the womb of the mother, it's not an independent living being, and so can not have the same rights as a full human being. Once the baby can survive on its own, we're talking about a human life, and an abortion should only be permitted in case of risk to the mother's life. Which is basically what reasonable abortion laws look like now. We do limit later stage abortions due to the medical aspect of it. Once it requires surgery, there are other factors to consider, but it still ought to be covered by health insurance.

(The image in the question is misguided, as it's not babies being aborted, but lumps of cells in most cases, and more rarely foetuses, never babies. So a puddle of cells in a petri dish would avoid the emotional element of showing a new-born baby that isn't even the issue in the first place, as they're not what's being discussed when it comes to abortion.)

• It's not anti progressive

Democrats for life is a group of pro life democrats that seek to protect unborn babies. I'm not liberal or conservative. I have conservative views on some issues and liberal views on other issues. I'm pro life because I believe that everyone deserves a chance. I don't hate women and I'm not anti progressive.

• I am just on the side of babies :D

It just seems weird that liberal, left of centre parties such as the Democrats, the Libertarians and the Greens are all pro-choice. I understand that they are merely giving a women the right to choose, but seriously, which mother would like to kill their baby? And even keeping politics aside, isn't it ethically wrong to kill a foetus (now that its biologically proven that a foetus is a living being)