• God Is Eternal

Sins and crimes committed against other individuals can be paid for on this earth in a jail cell, or at the worst, with the offender's life. But what are you going to do when you sin against an eternal being? A punishment against a human can't last forever, because the human doesn't last forever, and so the feeling of justice and retribution will die once the offended party is dead. But God will last forever, right? Then the punishment for sinning against an eternal being calls for an eternal punishment in order to fulfill justice and appease the offended party: God. For instance, a mother would want the murderer of her son to receive a life-sentence in jail, and assuming the murderer is found guilty, would be appauled to hear that the murderer was released early. So unless God kicks the bucket, you are going to burn forever.

• Yes, provided we are speaking about the same hell

In my belief system, Hell has stale beer and strippers with STDs. To endure stale beer for eternity, of course, would be complete unjust (just ask any German beer connoisseur what they feel like in the states. They'll tell you "hell". However, my belief system also provides for a way of leaving hell, so I think it is just - after they face their sins and repent, they can enter heaven with nice strippers and an actual beer volcano. Http://flyingspaghettimonster.Wikia.Com/wiki/Afterlife

• Yes it is.

The bluntness of my answer may seem to be surprising and deeply morally insensitive but I must qualify my answer by adding that I don't believe hell is eternal, conscious torment. I fully agree that *THAT* doctrine is morally indefensible. I think that hell has "puragtorial" effects for the sinner and that certainly is a just punishment.

• The very idea of hell proves there is no god.

Or if there is, it is surely not worth worshiping.. God claims that it is control of everything. It lets some us do horrible things to others. But it loves us all the same. BUT-but, those of us he allowed (even created) to do horrible things will be made to suffer horribly, and their suffering will have no end.

Loving god? With somebody loving me like that I'd rather be hated.

• Eternity > Sins

An eternity of suffering is not a just punishment in any sense of the word. Following the principle "Let the punishment fit the crime" , no matter what heinous acts a person committed during their life time, eternal damnation is infinitely (literally) worse and an overreach of "justice" (I have problems with this word, but they're not entirely relevant). If you're NOT following the principle of "letting the punishment fit the crime", I'd like to know what principle you ARE following to determine whether any punishment is "just".

• Punishment hugely disproportionate to any possible crime

In the modern world, punishment is considered to be 'fair' or 'humane' only if it can be considered to be reasonably proportional to the crime that was committed. We don't send first-time offending petty thieves to prison for the same amount of time as repeat murderers, nor is it considered to be a genuine crime if all that is reasonably required on the part of the offender is to say that they're 'sorry', which is essentially what the christian doctrine of being 'saved through Christ' entails. As human beings have a limited lifespan, and a rather short amount of time in which to commit any potential wrongdoing or 'sinning', it is literally totally impossible for an 'infinite' or 'eternal' punishment to be in any way proportional to potential wrongdoing. Thus, the entire concept of 'hell' is completely unfair, and simply does not fit any modern or fair definition of the word 'just'.

• What a repulsive notion.

Quite frankly, it is more than a little sick and twisted to suggest that an infinite system of punishment (particularly one stated to be torturous) for any finite offense is not only warranted but just. Particularly when you consider the belief among Christians that any person not of their religion automatically deserves such eternal torture.

• Straight & Narrow road

As others have pointed out, the punishment is not proportional. Even if one is moral, many religions call for belief in one god alone (jehovah for christian and jews, allah for muslims). Without such, even jesus says paraphrased they will rot in hell (weeping and gnashing of teeth where worm never dies). How do we know we picked the right religion? Many adherents in many religions claim they feel their god(s) in their hearts. Its a crap shoot and should've been made easier to figure out who the "good guys" are. The most moral in teachings and actions are the jains. They're pacifist and don't believe in the my god or hell mentality.

• There is no HEll

When Adam disobeyed God, the punishment was listed in Genesis 3:19.
    ''In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken.For dust you are and to dust you will return. The Hebrew word translated to be Hell is 'sheo', which literally means the pit or the common grave. At 1John4:8 it states that GOD IS LOVE. There is no way that God would torture anyone in Hell. Romans 6:23 states that the wages of Sin is Death.

• Hahahaha, ofc not

Lets just say hell is real. No man should ever be placed into eternity of pain, it is a horrible idea made up by terrible people. Not even one of the worst people in our history deserve punishment, hitler, stalin, many pope's, religious criminals, they all deserve punishment but not eternal.

• Islam and Christian Hell is wrong

For justice to exist, punishment must come to a end fit the crime. No matter how many bad deeds one commits in this world, there is a limit. Yet, hell’s punishment is infinitely greater. It’s eternal. Shouldn’t a sinner suffer until remorse is felt and the crime is atoned for? What “justice” is there in infinite damnation?

Consider all the people brought up the religion of their parents and nation since birth.

• Please people... How could this be just.

If you commited a finite crime an infinte penalty is just too much. Just think about it... "YOU WILL BURN FOR YOUR LIMITED SINS IN THE FIRES OF HELL UNTIL THE END OF TIME... But HE LOVES YOU". From what I can see it a "seriously tough love". But there's more than that. Just think how many people god killed through natural dissasters and later survivors praise him for leaving them alive, this doesn't make any sense. This "justice" system of god needs some serious change. Of course genocide and killing babies is a sin, a bad thing, UNLESS you're the god or an israelite. Think about it... A muslim baby was born... And sadly soon after birth he died. According to god, if that baby wasn't absolved of his sin with which he was born he will go to hell, and that baby dindn't choose who his parrents will be, he didn't even do a damn thing, how did he got that first sin? Ahh.. Yes... Adam and Eve. Because they did something wrong the entire human race was litteraly cursed. But it doesn't make any sense, what did that baby had to do with it? NOTHING. If this is gods sense of justise, then that a lot of people are burning in hell right now for things they couldn't contrlol in any shape or form.

• The Ultimate Immorality

Assuming the Christian concept of hell, based on the keywords provided, I feel that eternal torment is the most immoral punishment possible. We humans have a finite amount of time on this planet; we can only commit a finite amount of crimes. If a god (especially one that is supposed to be just) wants to punish us infinitely for a finite crime, I find it to be the most immoral, unjust act possible.