• Yes, and it's ridiculous.

I am a South African high school student and next year I need to be in a varsity. However the costs are so crazy I barely see it happening. How are kids straight out of high school expensed to pay for varsity anyway? The fees will put me in so much debt, already high school has put me in debt. Why do fees continue to increase every year? Why doesn't the government use their ridiculous pay cheques to finance varsity students? Why is it that we need to get degrees that are almost completely theory based when jobs require practical experience and knowledge?

Posted by: Jaik
  • Say's Law says so...

Credential inflation hasn't been mentioned in the prior comments, but it bears mentioning. As the number of degree-holding individuals competing in the job market increases, there is a corresponding increase in demand for degree-holding individuals.

A basic managerial job that did not require a formal degree in the 1960s would likely require a four year degree today. The scope and responsibilities associated with said position generally has no inherent need for a degree-holder. It has simply become a qualifier for consideration.

Education is a great thing, but in today's economy and the broad world we inhabit, the overwhelming debt associated with attending a college or university is unjustified. Granted the ease of access to information available to the general public via the internet, the pragmatic 'necessity' for a college education is becoming all the more obsolete. The 'product' from these institutions of higher education seems to be declining in quality as well, but that may just be anecdotal in that so many of my young peers are incompetent and would possibly encounter difficulty finding Brazil on a world map, much less quoting the Pythagorean Theorem.

Autodidacts are the future.

• Say's Law says so...

Autodidacts are the future.

• Yes, Higher Education is too Expensive in the USA

In Europe, a higher education costs about $27,000 (Trinity College Dublin in Dublin, IR). In the United States, a higher education costs about $110,000 or MORE (Chicago College of performing arts, Chicago, Illinois.) That is with fees such as applications, credit hours, housing, etc. In the USA, you pay for EVERYTHING (alumni association, etc.) In Europe, you pay for YOU.

• Higher education is too expensive

The cost of higher education and the associated expenses of obtaining a higher education are out of control. It is ridiculous students are expected to pay for expensive books which are hardly utilized, pay for dorm rooms which are often substandard, and pay for food which is often a nightmare to behold. Where is all the tuition money going? Professors are not paid overmuch, spending on quality food seems low, support staff is underpaid. So where is the money spent? Administration? It's very sad so many jobs require a degree. So many young adults start out with high student loans and end up getting jobs that won't pay the bills. Higher education is out of touch and often out of reach of those who need it most.

• Yes, and it keeps going up.

Higher education in the United States is far more expensive than it is in most other developed countries. Students in the United States can expect to leave college several thousand dollars in debt and, quite often, in no better position to get a good job than somebody with experience but no degree. The costs currently seem to outweigh the potential income benefits, and that needs to be adjusted.

• Yes, the costs are far outpacing the rate of inflation.

College tuition costs have gotten higher and higher. The costs are far outpacing the rate of inflation in this country. Some students who will need to take out loans to pay the tuition costs will be repaying the loans for a long time. Some of the higher costs are due to decreased funding by the state legislatures.

• Higher education is absolutely too expensive!

All someone has to do to see that this is true is look at all the examples of individuals who come out of school with six-figure student loan debt. What sense does it make to form a society that essentially forces someone to go to get an education and have a degree to get a good job, but then make that education so costly that they can't get a good enough job to pay for it? It makes no sense at all.

• Yes, The Price Needs To Come Down

Tuition is sky rocketing, and in this economy, it's getting harder and harder to pay back student loans. The labor market is crowded with qualified people, and a lot of people are sitting on thousands of dollars worth of debt and no ability to pay it back any time soon.

Posted by: rpr
  • I think it's fine

I'm rich so this isn't a problem for me. Don't get mad at yourself or the college get mad at your parents for not working hard enough in high school to get a full scholarship. If couldn't afford that's why I would be mad. It's their fault. But my case it's not. Sorry I feel bad for you guys.