Is homeschool better than public school? Why?

Asked by: DannyCliff
  • Where to begin...

Ignoring the 'bullying' section, there is a lot more to it. School is about your future, not making friends with the class jock, or whatever. Would you rather sit in a classroom, listening to what the Feds WANTS you to hear, or sit at home with you family, learning what actually happened? Not to mention, the lack of distractions. I just feel homeschool is better.

• Homeschooling is the way!

I was not homeschooled. As a matter of fact, I was schooled in a public school, with a district rating of a F. I graduated at the top of my class, but I really did not have much competition. I feel that I was forced to work at a pace slower than I needed to. I should have graduated a year ahead of my class, but my school forced me into non-academic courses, because if I was not there to be counted, "the school would lose teacher allocation money" (the explanation I received from my principal).
    For my child, I will choose homeschool. She is only four, but she is heavily involved in sports (gymnastics, dance, and tee-ball), where she already practices Monday through Thursday for hours at a time. Also, I want the ability to let my child learn at a pace that I feel is suitable for her. She is already reading beginning level words and her handwriting is exceptional, so I would hate for her to be in a class with four year olds who are just learning basic letters. The idea of not only learning about a historical site, but being able to visit the site is appealing as well. For example, in public schools you may not have the luxury of visiting the Louvre after learning about it in an art history book, but being homeschooled, visiting is an option.
    As far as the need for socialization, an recreational activity, outside of school will bring healthy socialization. School is for learning and not socialization anyway, right?

• Homeschooling teaches you how to learn independently.

I'm homeschooled myself, and honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

One of the things I love most about homeschooling is that it gradually teaches you how to learn independently. Generally, the mindset of homeschoolers is that "I am responsible for my education, if I want to learn something, I have the resources to learn it, and learn it in depth.." Versus the general public-schoolers mindset, which is "I am dependent on teachers to tell me what and how I learn. I will learn whatever I have to learn to pass the test or get good grades."

Yes, when I was younger, I was dependent on my mom to hold me accountable for my work. But now that I am older, I am doing my work on my own. This is all because my mom has provided me resources and cultivated learning abilities in me.

A lot of people assume that because a person is homeschooled, they only receive knowledge from their parents. This is not true! Although my mom did teach me on the subjects she knows about, when she was weak in an area, she pulled in a resource to help me learn that subject. Because she gave me all those resources and helped me find out how I learn, now I can learn on my own.

Not only does homeschooling teach you how to learn on your own, but it also allows you to learn at your own pace. Instead of a teacher forcing you forward, even if you don't understand the material, or holding you back, because the rest of the class doesn't understand it, you can just learn at the pace you need to.

Also, addressing the "socialization issue", do you think homeschoolers live in a cardboard box and never interact with the outside world? The reality is quite different from that assumption. I have a community and friends. I know how to interact with people. In fact, a lot of homeschoolers get together weekly with other homeschoolers for activities. With my homeschool group, I get the opportunity to read the papers I have written, give presentations, have formal debates, have discussions on what I am learning, and receive tutoring on different subjects. My homeschool group has also formed a student council. We wrote a constitution which guides our activities, we do community service projects, create a weekly newspaper, and make a yearbook. A lot of homeschoolers also participate in sports. I was on a soccer team for 8 years. Many of the homeschoolers I know also have jobs, even though they are in highschool. All this to say- homeschoolers are not unsocial outcasts.

Additionally, like the above commenter said, homeschooling allows you to choose to learn the truth, instead of whatever the government forces you to learn.

• Home-schooling leads to a dangerous mentality.

Home school may be beneficial in terms of statistical education but what must be remembered is that school isn't just about learning off what they say to you, it is in itself a learning experience. You learn how to succeed in life and how to think logically and practically. And Home-school does not provide the necessary social training to build a balanced citizen. It leads to elitist people whose views are more apathetic than that of a person who has experienced a full social life. Bullying sucks but it is also and important lesson on how to deal with your problems and that is why that is an invalid argument here.

• Specialisation improves quality of education.

There's a reason we have specialisation in society: Some people are better at doing certain things than others. Yes, if the parents themselves are teachers by profession, they can educate their kids well in the subject(s) they teach, but most of the time, that is not the case. Even if the parent is a specialist on one or two subjects, the quality of education in other subjects would be highly questionable. Besides, parents generally have no time doing things like attending markers' meetings, looking at past paper trends, or other stuff that a teacher is normally expected to do. A responsible teacher would spend time doing these things because, after all, (s)he has a large number of students every year that needs to know the exam board's standards, and (s)he only needs to do his for one single subject. On the contrary, to ask a parent to do this for his or her children would give him or her a disproportionately large burden, so in all likelihood, the quality of education will be limited. (This was directly copied from my big issues argument.)