• Homeschooling is awesome!!!

No kidding, it is. I have had so many more opportunities because I have been homeschooled. I have competed in three major competitions throughout middle school and high school (Science Olympiad, Bible Bee, and speech and debate) and been involved in other organizations (youth peer court, honor society, church activities, etc.). These are all very time-consuming activities, and I would not have been able to do them if I was public schooled, because of the amount of time spent in school. In addition, I've managed to complete all my schoolwork each year, and I've learned a ton. This year I graduated, and now I am headed to Hillsdale College, and I'll be part of the Honors Program (limited to only 20 people in my class). I guess all that is to say, homeschooling not only taught me well, but it also allowed me to have so many more valuable experiences.
    The socialization aspect often mentioned on the No side to this issue is a stereotype that is inaccurately applied to all homeschoolers. Sure, some may be quiet, introverted kids who have a hard time socializing, but then so may be some public-schooled kids. There are lots of homeschoolers who are extroverts and the life of the party at social gatherings, and some like me who are a little more shy but still able to socialize. I see people almost every night of the week; so I am hardly undersocialized. And I am just one example among many.
    Homeschooling is a great idea because it gives that one-on-one time with the child that really accelerates learning. It was really beneficial that I could go at my own pace in school. If I didn't get something, my mom could take an extra day or two on it to help me learn it better.
    Homeschooling also prepares you well for college. I took advantage of the running start program and did some community college work. I am now headed off to 4-year college, and at both places, I've learned that the ability to teach yourself is incredibly important. Ever since I was in 4th grade, I have been teaching myself in one form or another. Back then, it was mainly in Science Olympiad, not in school. Through high school however, my mom supplied me with the curriculum and I taught myself history. I also improved my learning with reading I do on my own free time. These skills will definitely help me in college. While I am not saying that public school does not teach these skills at all, many public schoolers that I have met cannot teach themselves. Some can, but many can't.

I would say that homeschooling can provide all the advantages of public school, plus some. I am so thankful that my parents chose to homeschool me.

• It provides students with an alternative to school

Many students get bullied at school as well as feeling uncomfortable around their peers. It is also becoming a problem of increasing importance that students in schools are not being taught information that grafts to their needs, such as children with lesser intellects being rushed and children with greater intellects being told to wait, slow down and essentially be told to stay dumb for a while while the teacher works with the rest of the class.

• It lets the students go a their own pace.

Kids get to learn in a safe environment from a teacher who knows how they learn and can spend one-on-one time with them. If a kid is ahead in English, but behind in Math, he can be where he is without feeling pressure. There is no peer pressure, no going out to the school bus in the rain, and no bullying.
    Homeschooling is flexible to the child's needs and has enough "helps" that we can be assured they will get a good education.

• Yes for homeschooling

Homeschooling can actually be what every child needs because it helps children get closer to being comfortable with life and the world. Being bullied at school isnt something rare. Children get bullied at school is common and they might feel safer learning at home. I think that if a child was homescooled by they're parents, then it would be better for the child.

• Home educated children are not stressed, they can achieve whatever they want.

Home educated children are not stressed, they can achieve whatever they want. They learn what they want at the speed they want and they are not forced to listen to things that go in one ear and out the other. The subjects children want to study just get pushed to one side at school so they can't follow the career that they want to. When children are home educated they can give their full attention to what they want and not what the teachers want.
    They will choose a career they like,they want to be doing a career that is completely different.
    I am now less shy and now talk to people I want to rather than hiding in the shadows and waiting for them to speak,at school I had some friends and everybody of them are different from me.
    Schools can be mentally abusive and after two years of home education I still haven't got over the fact that school treated me as dumb because I couldn't speak the words properly even though they knew it was because of my learning differences. They couldn't understand me so I had to be dumb. This is because they are not trained properly to understand people who are just slightly different from them.

• No Social activity and no organizing.

Kids that are homeschooled are most often very bad at socializing because they cant go to school and talk to the other kids. Also, homeschooling can get out of control, because the children know for a fact that the work done is not necccesary they tend to get distrcted and simply run off. In addition to that, the kids have less chance into getting in a nice university and later they might as well get a good job.

• There are other options

I'd like to start by saying that so far the two arguments I've seen for the affirmative state "It provides students with an alternative to school" and "It lets the students go a their own pace". They continue to comment on bullying, introversion, specialised learning etc. I think that these arguments are extremely valid, and I completely understand where these people are coming from. However, I just want to point out a few things:

1. Something that is repeated is that students may feel uncomfortable at school, and that they may be intimidated or bullied, and that homeschooling therefore a viable alternative. However, if somebody is introverted or uncomfortable in social situations, then keeping them at home 24/7 is merely going to further jeopardise the situation. Don't throw them into social situations blind, seek counselling, or perhaps therapy, depending on the individual's needs. But certainly don't shut them off from all social interaction, it merely prolongs and intensifies the issue. If people are being bullied, this is entirely a different issue. It is then the responsibility of the parents and the school to investigate thoroughly what has occurred and ensure that it ends immediately. Trying to run away from it through homeschooling will not help (NOTE: I do not mean that all homeschooling is running away from bullies, it certainly is not, but if that is the motivation, there is an issue).

2. Secondly, we hear about how it gives the opportunity for tailored learning. The example given was of someone who was ahead in English but behind in Maths (yes all you Americans, it has an 's'). However, once again, there are other options without the detriments of homeschooling, such as tutoring. You still gain the one on one aspect, you still specialise in specific learning areas and styles, but in a more social environment overall. If someone has a learning disability, this is a separate issue, but even here there are alternatives, such as specialised schools. However, i do not believe this fits in the scope of the debate.

3. I've already made this point a few times, but homeschooling does stunt social activity and growth by deny opportunities for more frequent social interaction. I can only base this off of experience from the 7 homeschooled friends I know, but all of them have issues with social interaction, which is a major issue in their lives. I maintain that while homeschooling may solve some issues, it merely presents multiple new ones. For this reason, while I understand the cases made by the affirmative, I do not believe in homeschooling.

• Not a Good Idea if Good Schools Are Available:

Many parents are too naive or stupid to teach their children properly and beckon to false teachings like Creationism which diminishes their children's possibility for achieving worthwhile careers in the future.
    It is only okay where no alternative is available. Many home schooled students have such low knowledge and social abilities that they fail badly when entering the real world.
    Especially those raised on deeply religious indoctrination, where their available intelligence is so low as to be a concern for social workers and employers alike.

• I have to say no, from experience with home schooled kids

I've met a fair few young folks who have experienced home schooling. They are not well adjusted. Two of them were fundamentalist Christians, then, when they escaped their overbearing parents, they had mental breakdowns and rebellious tendencies.

Another individual who was home-schooled ended up being pretty well adjusted as far as religion and politics are concerned, but they are still very awkward around others. They never got that social interaction from peers.

The guy I'm thinking of was always the person who made the most awkward statements to women, and would say some really backwards, misogynistic things.

I'm not claiming all kids who are home-schooled are poor at social interaction. I know at least a few who are able to hold a conversation.

But none of them had a better education than I did. But then again, I went to a series of private schools since our local public schools are some of the worst in the nation.

• It's not strictly a yes or no question but..

1. Most people - even college educated people - are not qualified to be real teachers.

Yes, people teach their kids all the time in various ways. Even so, just because a person took algebra years ago doesn't mean they can teach it now. Getting the course material from elsewhere still doesn't mean a person is good enough at a given subject to teach it. That being the case, how can they teach 5 or more subjects well?

2. Yes, schools are full of (fill in the blank). So is life. That's part of education. In the real world there are people and ideas that are different from what we're used to. Better to know that than go I to the world unprepared.