Is homeschooling more effective than public school?

Asked by: pixiegurl
  • Teachers brainwash children. I recommend private education.

I attended a public school (up until college) and I wouldn't put my children through it for all of the money in the world. The teachers are incredibly biased and jump at the chance to force their union agenda down the throat's of children whenever possible.

The other children at public schools are mostly trashy and lower class. When you enroll your child in a public school, your child is forced to attend class with ghetto children from the bad side of town. These children set a bad example and disrupt the learning environment.

My advice, if you can afford to send your kids to private schools, DO IT!

• There is lesser distractions

Granted, at home there are certain distractions such as having a computer and a television. However, by homeschooling, the individual would be, under the watchful eye of a parent or a guardian, be able to use these distractions into areas of advantage and transform them into useful tools for learning. Not only that, homeschooling would enable to learn a great amount of discipline and it would nurture the child to be a disciplined and focused child, equipped with the 21st century skills required for jobs. Compared to public schools where there are numerous distractions such as having classmates chattering between one another and having Co-Curricular activities which physically and mentally drains the child, homeschooling would bring about greater focus for the child and without external activities, it would make sure that the child maximises his or her time to study and pull up their grades to prepare them for major exams. Therefore, it can be said that homeschooling is more effective than enrolling a child in public school

• It is in most cases...

I am a 14 year old girl and my parents have always homeschooled me. My parents came from the time where the government schools passed children along so they don't feel behind, they barely, just barely graduated from high school because nobody cared. But because they are teaching me my core is 11th grade, if I was in a public school I wouldn't be where I am now, my parents love me so much to give me a excellent education . There are plenty of homeschool children that are in college by 12, I might be interested if I wasn't so busy with debate and public speaking. And don't say we are not social because I'm just as social as the next public school student, I just make way better choices in friends who don't pressure me to do drugs or smoke, I've never had drugs offered to me because I like to associate with people of good moral character. How many public schooled children can say that?
    -XOXO no offense, Spencer Joy ♥

• Homeschool means more individual attention

Public schools will educate to the needs of the masses, in homeschool an education can be tailored to suit the learning needs of the individual student. Students can go faster if they find material easier and spend more time on material that they struggle with. The system can be designed to help them with any learning problems they have.

• Without stress gaining

In my views home school is very much effective instead of public school because it give the tireless gaining , time saving , they gives maximum time to their study.Moreover no disturbance should be there no fighting will be there grouping will be there . Its the same if students remain in front the eye of there parents..

• Academic excellence, improved family values, and less distractions

Before children, I always wanted to home school my children. I saw the value from a trip to Israel. However, faced with being a single parent, I didn't think I could do it. I chose the Abeka curriculum, which was absolutely awesome for them. My graduated High Honors having several Dual credit courses under belt; attended a junior college and obtained a Phi Theta Kappa scholarship to University and graduated Cum Laude. My son also graduated with Honors and is attending University where he made the Dean's list the first semester. Both are independent thinkers, which was reinforced by homeschooling, and are strong in their own belief system which was taught by precept and example at home. In public school, they would not have had the flexibility to go to field trips, museums, trips out of town for education, or study at their own pace. They were devoid of bullies, cursing, rude behavior to students and teachers, and that roll calling that takes up half the teaching time due to students acting up in class. Yes, we did have "pajama" days when it rained or snowed, and occasionally I would let them sleep later, or watch something on TV that was either educational or fun; but that's one of the benefits of homeschooling and, according to their grades, I don't think it hindered their academic growth at all.

• The "real world" is not at school.

I was home schooled through all twelve grades and graduated with an academic diploma (4.0 GPA). I taught a year in a private special education school and now I am taking college courses to obtain my BA in special and elementary education.
    As far as socialization goes, I have no problems.
    Homeschoolers are exposed to the workings of everyday life, rather than living in the world of school. They see how the things they learn apply to real situations and circumstances.
    Please keep in mind, though, that there are those few who call themselves homeschoolers, but they are really un-schoolers. There's a big difference.
    I definitely give my vote for homeschooling.

• Homeschooling enables children's difficulties to be acknoledged

Public schools is designed to attend to a mass amount of youth. In modern context today, youths certainly have different abilities instillled in them and thus, different individuals will face dfferent problems. There is however, a jack of all trade expectation that is set in school, created by the corrupt thinking that all students have the same learning capabilities. Thus, leading to a boring and dull teaching strategy that appeals for one but not the other. Students will then find themselves confused on certain topics, and may have to go through the trouble of approaching teachers after school, who still may not necessarily know what they are strugglig with exactly. Homeschooling enables for children to adapt to their own learning styles and travel a pace that suits them best.

• Homeschooling stops social aspects from coming in to a child's life such as bullying. Also the aspect of disability's.

Homeschooling stops social aspects from coming into a child's life such as bullying. Don't get me wrong there are good social aspects from public schooling but the bad ones way out the good. Lots of kids get get bullied i mean that's undeniably but if effects kids differently and for the kids that are more prone to getting bullied home school is really the best option. I know this from personal experience. Also the aspect of disability's. If your child has some form of disability then home schooling would also be the best option the reason for this is that your child will get more one on one time and this will inshore that they understand the material that you are trying to teach then i also have a personal experience with this aspect of the argument.

• Homeschooling has definite benefits

I have been both homeschooled and in public school. I am strongly of the opinion that homeschooling can provide the same education, if not a better one, than public schools can. I have also seen other homeschooling families, though, and will concede that if the parent is not well-educated, or unmotivated, there can be huge setbacks. My mother homeschooled me from third through tenth grade. She taught me to read when I was three, and carry and multiply at five. Together we struggles through Algebra, Geometry, and Biology, using AP textbooks and keeping meticulous records. When I entered public school again, I was more than adequately prepared, and I had been properly socialized, had played sports, and participated in activities. My PSAT scores at the local school my sophomore year were very high, and I was more than capable of handling an all AP and honors schedule at the new school. Besides all this, I grew closer to my mother, and knew my own strengths and weaknesses, as well as personal responsibility, and self-learning. There is no doubt in my mind that homeschooling provided me with a rich experience, and that while not everyone can have the same experience, many can. Many parents have bachelors, and even Masters degrees, and are perfectly motivated to teach their child.

• Home schooling cannot taught virtues of existing in a group

Public schools give an environment to the student to learn how to interact in a group. Purpose of schooling is not only to learn some lessons, score good marks and prepare for college. It is something more than that. School is perhaps the first place where a person makes new friends and faces situations outside the protective environment of his home. A classroom full of people prepares one for things that are as important as getting a great career. For example, you learn the virtue of sharing during lunch. You learn how to act as moderator in a dispute over two of your classmates. A simple act of giving your regular sitting place to someone else makes you realize how good it feels to be kind. Morning prayer and sports teach you discipline in life. Therefore, I believe Public schooling is more effective than home schooling.

• I dont think so

According to some peoples who have a homeschooling in their life, most of them are not feel enjoyable with the world outside because they often stay at home all day long and go out rarely. And they probably have no friends but some of them do have friends but most of them aren't. And because they have no friends, it means they couldn't interact with others and i think it might affect to their future. They probably have no jobs

• First hand experience.

As you study kids who have home schooled one thing stands above the rest. They all have massive holes in their education. I have had many home school friends and home schooled two years myself, and I will say that it really isn't much better. In fact, for me, it was considerably worse. Thank God I spent the majority of my twelve years getting a proper, well balanced education.

The main hole I see over and over again is the ability to write and spell.Many homeschoolers I have seen are simply pitiful at spelling and writing, and typically bomb at English. Consistency is impossible in a home school situation, and motivation can be impossible.

Another thing I notice about the majority of homeschoolers is that they are really bad in social situations. They often have very uneven, untempered personalities, and have a hard time reacting in a fair and socially acceptable manner when any social trouble arises. They are missing the early experiences that you get in Kindergarten (playing on the playground, sharing, teamwork, etc, etc).

Overall, I don't think it works very well at all and really isn't worth it. Public school sucks for the most part, but beggars can't be choosers and home school is very dangerous for a developing child.

• Children need to be exposed to the real world.

If kids are at home all day everyday, with their parents and siblings, they never learn important life skills. These skills include socialization, communication, and learning how to have a polite conversation. The children never learn how to deal with bad influences and bullying. They never learn how to communicate with people they don't like, but have to. They never learn those skills that are vital to adult life.

• Not practical for many people

For some, homeschooling can be a good alternative to public school, but many children don't have parents who have the time or qualifications to teach. There's also the problem of parents teaching their children creationism and such or just teaching their own ideology to kids. So while homeschooling can be good for some; it's simply not feasible for the majority.

• Homeschooling is more affective then Public schools.

First off, why keep your children from communicating with other kids their age if they had that they wouldn't be to shy and would express themselves more and they wouldn't be so stubborn when you ask them something kids should go to public schools to meet other people and to explore the unknown outsides of the world it will be better for their future they could get an amazing job just from all that communication.

• No, homeschooling is not necessarily more effective than public school.

What type of schooling is best for a student depends on the individual child, and the teacher. A parent at home with good curriculum could potentially do a much better job than a teacher that under-performs. That being said, a student could do better in a public school setting with great teachers. It's impossible to say which one is better than the other, since so many factors are involved.

• It Depends Upon The Environment At Home ...

If Mom has a college degree and a pretty good grasp of the academics, then yes a home-schooled child could receive a BETTER education. If Mom is only attempting to teach 1 or 2 children in the "home setting", they would receive a BETTER education than students who are stuffed like sardines into overcrowded, Public classrooms. Ideally, the BEST child teacher ratio is one-on-one. For many LD students (Learning Disabled), a smaller and quieter setting would actually provide a BETTER learning environment with fewer distractions than any Public school could hope to offer. But ...

If Mom is limited to a high school diploma, I doubt it. And it's been how long since she graduated? Yikes! Education changes, almost by the year. Expectations are greater. If Mom is attempting to teach 3 or more children, of various grade levels, it becomes a huge risk. Let's face it, when you haven't used Algebra since you were a teen and you are over 30 ... You ARE rusty. That doesn't equate to a good teacher. If Mom isn't organized and disciplined, she isn't really cut-out to assume
    the teaching role.

Last but not least, I just can't help but mention this opinion question above. Scholing? Really? Who started this opinion: a home-schooled student or a product of the Public schools? Didn't the red line under that misspelled word give you a heads-up? Jeez.

• Just because it is

In school you are provided with social interaction as well as a curriculum set t certain rules. Homeschooling is usually slower and children are less social. I have met several home-schoolers who are the age to be in 9th grade but are in 7th grade, and this is what i base my stance on.

• Though "No" it is my personal opinion, i think everyone here is biased by which school they or their children went to.

This question is objectively impossible for most of the people here, myself included to answer. Subjectively from my own experience and readings, i'd say no, homeschooling provides an inferior experience to the public school experience. A statement to which i can make many arguments and facts in my favor. However, from the Objective standpoint, I am at a loss, as is just about everyone as like most Naysayers I have never truly been homeschooled just as most Yaysayers have never truly experienced public school. The only people I feel qualified to answer this question are those who have experienced both methods of education or those who have done actual research into the matter. Every single lay person will be affected by their personal experiences (just look at the bold Headlines if you dont believe me). So in conclusion, though i can attest to the failings of homeschooling and can provide warrants upon demand, i personally feel that just about everyone here and certainly yours truly, is unqualified to make an adequate or satisfactory answer without personal bias.