• It will give you mental peace.

I think honesty is the best policy because being honest will give you mental peace. You don't have to live with guilt because you lied. If you are always honest with people you don't have to remember the lie you told them. The other person will always trust you. Being honest with someone shows character and shows that you trust them enough to let them know that you tell the truth and nothing but the truth. When someone feels you are honest with them they tend to trust you more and this builds a strong relationship. It also assures the other person that you are trustworthy. Dishonest people don't get second chances when they lie because people are going to think they are always lying to them.

• Perfection in the WORLD!

honesty is the best policy because the little white lie is going to be revieled somehow. Also, honesty can be a advantage because you get to know what's going to happen and what is happening. Otherwise, you'll be finding something very weird from what you were expecting or had in mind. Therefore, honesty is the best policy you should use and should be used from now on. Also, lies might ruin your life by ruining your friendship, family by coming up with exuses nobody would understand, and would be coming up with a werid exuses that might lose the priviledge of your trust you have from your friends, family and the ones that are close to you.

• Honesty is the best policy

Honesty is the best policy becaues if you lie then you can get your self in a butt load of trouble. So nver lie to a police officer or you will get arested.So if don't want to get arested then tell the truth and that won't happen to you.

• Always Honest

Yes I do believe that honesty is the best policy. One should never be less than honest. When someone asks you something then they expect an honest answer. If you are not honest then people will never truly trust you. It is always so easy not to be honest, it takes honor to be a honest person.

• Yes.

Obviously there are some situations where lying is the right thing to do, such as the examples that philochristos gave. But generally, honesty is a good policy to follow in everyday life. Keep in mind the "policy" is just a guiding principle, and can be overridden if absolutely necessary.

• A price to be paid for honesty.

I'm one of those people who has a hard time lying. I'm good at the needed white lies, but overall I'm honest. People say they appreciate my honesty and often I want to say that I can't help it - because I can't. The truth frequently flies out of my mouth before I have a chance to edit. You do pay a price with certain people avoiding you and other people looking at you like there's something wrong. Wouldn't change anything for the world. I sleep well.

• Honesty is best

I think people who say we can't be honest in today's world are those who have something to hide. Well! Then don't do anything you have to hide and then it's easy to be honest.
    When we have good intentions at heart and always strive to be the same regardless of whether other people are watching us or not, then we have nothing to hide. When we aren't comfortable with sharing sensitive information with others because let's face it, there are manipulative people, then we can politely decline to engage in personal conversations or say we aren't comfortable sharing our personal stuff with everybody. We don't have to lie or think honesty isn't the best policy here.

Also when someone asks if a dress looks good on them and we don't like it we can say just that- that we don't like it which doesn't mean the dress isn't good or we can suggest another color or dress that would look good on them. Lying starts with small things.

• Honesty is the best policy

Let us take the example of the football legend, the self-proclaimed God, Diego Maradona. He was an exceptionally talented footballer. However Maradona’s most controversial goal, the hand of God goal, led to him being criticized by people from all over the world. This event is one of the primary reasons why he is not considered to be the best footballer ever. Amusingly, experts firmly believe that this one single incident marked the beginning of the end for the legend.
    Then let us look at the popular and famous president of the U.S, Richard Nixon, who got involved in the Watergate scandal. He authorized a burglary of the Democratic campaign headquarters in the Watergate Hotel. It was typical political dirty trick. But the repercussions led to him breaking down on national TV and facing impeachment from his office of power. He became an object of ridicule. Richard Nixon will never be remembered for all the good things he did for his country. One wrong move and he went from famous to infamous.
    I could continue listing more such instances all day long but it is important that we realize is that these people adopted dishonest means and later regretted it. Why? They suffered the consequences of their actions because the world did not accept it. The world opposed their dishonesty. Why did the world oppose their dishonesty? Because the people of the world believe, just as I believe, just as I am sure most of you here believe, that dishonesty is wrong.
    Nowadays, one may be led to feel that maybe the days of good are gone and darker days are upon us but it is not so. We feel this because the agents that inform us of the day to day news have the tendency to focus only on the evil that is done all around us. Unfortunately, The good is often neglected.

• Yes, as a Non-Binding Policy with a Waiting Period

As a policy, always striving to be honest is a good way to live, for many of the reasons stated in other answers.

There are situations where honesty will have negative consequences. If you have a policy of honesty, you will be conflicted. This is a great opportunity to ask yourself "why am I in such a situation?" The answer to that question is often more important than whether to be honest or not. The honest answer might be "I shouldn't be here."

I don't think you can just decide one day to be "honest" all the time. There are many life choices that affect the ability to be honest without negative consequence - e.g. who you chose as friends, what your career aspirations are (hint - marketing and sales are not good careers for people who want to have this policy!).

If you want to adopt this policy, I suggest you work towards it. Don't stress if you can't be honest in a particular situation. But ask yourself what you can do to avoid the situation in the future. Over time, you'll find you are honest more often and having less "conflicted" situations.

• Honesty is always best!!

Honesty?
    Many people say that honesty is the best policy, but is that true all the time. Being honest can hurt people's feelings, for example if someone is wearing something that looks ugly and asks you how it looks, you would most likely say it looks nice instead of telling the truth and hurting their feelings. Many people think that in todays' world the only way to make money or become successful is to lie! I know that is wrong because there are successful people today that do not lie and are honest. Honesty "is always best" some people say, I think that honesty is best in most cases, honesty can build trust and relation ships whereas dishonesty can hurt or make people feel bad. Many people say that parents lie to their kids about "Santa" or the "Easter bunny" and those things, but it is not really counted as lying, because it is helping and not hurting. Most parents wait to tell their kids about Santa until they are old enough to handle it, if a parent never tells their kid then it would be considered lying. What can you think about someone who is not honest with you? People that you work with, your employees or even your employer is not honest with you? What do you think about these people, how do you feel towards them? Do you look up to them or think they are cool? I do not like dishonest people they are jerks, you can not confide in the, and you can not trust them. If your employees are not honest you can not rely on them to get anything done. If your employer is not honest he might promote someone esle that he likes better than you but is not qualified at all! If you ever find the you have been dishonest you need to fess up, and let people know. Most people will forgive you and will start to build trust with you again. I think that honesty is always best.

• Honesty is not the best policy

Honesty is not the best policy. First, if you always tell the truth, everyone will know your privacy and secrets. Second, if you play a game or magic tricks, you tell the people the truth, so you might lose or know the answer for the magic tricks already. So, I think honesty is not the best policy.

• Not all the time.

Honesty is not always the best policy. I would rather tell someone a lie instead of hurting their feelings or making them feel bad. I can live with not telling the truth as long as it does not hurt someone else. If not being honest can help you get out of trouble or will help you, why not lie?

• It depends on the situation:

Look if your friend asked for your opinion on something concerning them you would automatically give positive feedback. If you told the truth all the time you would probably have a significantly lowered number of friends. All of us at one point or another have been in the situation where we say "I love it,"without really meaning that at all. We're saying it for the benefit of whoever gave us the unwanted gift. If government officials started randomly telling all the other important people of the world how they really felt the whole world would constantly be at war.
    But at the same time being a constant liar is no good because once one lie is found out people tend to stop trusting you. Start to wonder if everything you've told them were lies.
    Don't try to say none of this applies to you because that would be a major lie. As far as I know we're only human.
    And you know that's true.

• The White lies

White lies I think are necessary to survive life without hurting peoples feelings. If your kids are asking you if Santa is real, I don't think it would be such a great idea for you to outright say NO! This could crush your kids childhood dreams! White lies can protect people from the harsh truth and I'm not saying honesty is a bad thing but I think white lies can be good and help protect people from eventually finding out the truth.

• Only in moderation.

Talking in terms of the one telling the lie/truth, truth is only good to not feel guilty about lying. And even so, you may feel worse for the content of the truth you speak. Also, the concept of truth itself is very vague. Are we to tell only the truth always? Are we to tell the truth but omit the unpleasant parts? Or is omittance a form of lying? If so, then surely every second I don't purge my every waking thought, I am lying (no matter how much truth I also manage to speak).

• Honesty can get you into trouble.

For example, if you forgot to do something at your job and were honest about it, you could get fired, which could lead to financial trouble (if you're unlucky.) On the other hand, if you lie about it and don't get caught, you will most likely keep your job and maybe get a promotion.

• It Varies From Every Situation

First of all, lying is not always the right answer but honesty is not in actuality the BEST policy. For example, white lies are told in order not to hurt someone's feelings. How exactly is not telling the truth in this situation bad? If someone were to ask if they look ugly because of something which they cannot help, then lying would be the better option because the truth could hurt them and it might affect them psychologically as well as affect their self-esteem and how they carry themselves.

Secondly, if a person were to be kidnapped and he had a concealed weapon or a form of help and the kidnapper asked if he had any such thing, the truth here would not be the wisest option either, it would be pure stupidity to give away that you have some way to escape.

Third, if someone were to ask you about something you had sworn to keep a secret, you wouldn't actually give them the truth, now would you? That would be betrayal.

Honestly is not always the best policy. It depends on the situation, circumstances and effects of what the truth may bring.

• Certain Circumstances Do Call For Less Honesty

No matter where you are or what your doing, honesty will test you at one point in your life. That moment when you just can't bear to tell the truth. That moment when you know someone would be better off not knowing, or believing something better. You know it's true.

• Honesty is not the best policy.

If everyone would be honest, the world would be just too simple, and the humanity would stop progressing, and start getting dumber and dumber. Yes, honesty is often the best answer to a lot of different situations, but if you're too honest, the people wouldn't get you at all, since it's pretty unusual to share everything you've got in your mind with the outside world.

• One way to ensure to remain poor is to be an honest man.

In today's world it is not smart to be honest. Since the first day you could speak you've been taught that lies are bad. Lying may be frowned upon but it is the smartest decision politically and in business or just in everyday life. Like do you think all the banks car salesmen or even political leaders tell you the truth if you thought yes to any of these you are a fool. Which you think they would tell the truth but i guess you cant trust anyone. All i am trying to say is that if you want to be high in a business or politics you cannot be honest or you will be crushed or fired by the dishonest selfish people out there.