• Horse racing is cruel.

Although it's true that many jockeys create a tight bond with their horse, horse racing is still cruel. In many races, horses are forced into equipment that hurts them (for instance, a nose band that covers their nose so they're forced to breath through their mouth) and they train the horses with painful punishment methods, such as whips. Also, in the main races, such as the popular Grand National, it is very common for the animals to be killed. Some break their necks as they try to jump over the hurdles, and some injure themselves in other ways and are then killed due to uselessness. How is this not cruel?

• Horse racing is ethical

Horse racing is not cruel because horses wore bred to run for long stretches and at a high rate of speed. As long as the horse trainers are not physically hurting the horses during their training, then the horses enjoy what they are doing. Horse racing is alright to be enjoyed by the masses.

• Of course it's cruel!!!!!!!

Many of these horses are beaten, drugged, and treated horribly. And, all people care about is the money, they don't care about the horses. These horses start rigorous training st such a young age that their bones haven't even fully developed yet. On average, 24 horses die EVERY WEEK at the tracks. Death percentages of the horses are slowly increasing over the years, so how many horses have to die for people to realize that this "sport" is extremely cruel and needs to either be reformed or stopped completely.

• Horse racing is cruel. Very very cruel at that.

Remember these horses do not get a choice, this is something that they are forced to do. What ever happened to horses being able to run without a dead weight on their backs all of the time. Gentle horse riding as a hobby is one thing but forcing and whipping them to make them run at ridiculous speeds is absolute cruelty. This is obviously why many of them end up badly injured then killed. To say that the horses enjoy it is crazy. When have human beings been able to have conversations with horses ? No human can read a horses mind. So for all of you slave drivers and racing supporters out there I only hope that one day in your life time you suffer the pain and suffering that these beautiful creatures suffer unnecessarily. You and your loved ones will suffer because what you give out will come back to you and your families.

• No horse racing

Horses have been my passion for around 7 years and I love everything about them except one thing that really upsets me, and that is horse racing. I was devastated when my favourite horse Red Caudex was sadly injured while racing in last year’s Melbourne Cup and later died. The Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses claims that in 2015, at least 115 horses have died on Australian racetracks. I strongly believe that horse racing should not exist.

One main issue with horse racing is that it’s very cruel to the horses, they have to run at maximum speed countless times per week whether it’s pouring with rain or a 40-degree day. The majority of racehorses are kept in stables and are not able to see other horses, therefore they do not learn the social skills that leisure horses would learn. All racehorses are kept on very strict diets consisting mainly of grains which are fed during training rather than extended grazing, which often leads to stomach ulcers and painful internal bleeding. This isn't the way these beautiful, hard-working creatures should be treated.

According to the Australian Racing Fact Book, around 18,000 horses are specially bred to race per year, 12,000 young horses do not qualify. But where do they go? Horses that fail to show potential often end up at auctions, but they are very likely to be bought by kill buyers. Many trainers and studs have arrangements with kill buyers who pick them up directly from the stables. Their younger more tender flesh makes them the best candidates to be killed for human consumption or pet food.

What is it going to take for people to finally realise that horse racing is not right, it’s a cruel industry. It should be banned because animals should be treated with respect and they should have the same rights as humans.

• No horse racing

• No Horse Racing

• No Horse Racing

• Horse racing is bad

First of all horses weren't meant for racing and I actually am around horse 97% of the time so I know A LOT about them. And I have done my research so don't say I haven't.
    Horse racing is very abusive and very few times are there relationships with horses. The only relationships are giving them drugs and whipping them. It's been proved that people give horses cobra venom, cocaine, anabolic steroids, etoriphine, caffeine, blue magic, bicarbonate. These are used to hide horses pain or make them go faster. Even American pharaoh was called out for excessive whipping. Most of these horses probably wish they were dead, and sometimes that wish comes true. When horses get injured and can no longer run in races they are sold to meat trucks. It's an awful sport and I know because I have two ex racehorses at the stables I go to and whenever they trot or canter their legs swell up because of all the old injuries they have. It's an awful sport and this suffering should be put to a stop. It's really awful how people just want to see something to please themselves and they don't know how much suffering is coming from this awful "sport".

• Horse racing is

Bad. Believe it or not their is always a different side to things and as amazing as it is to watch horse racing, it is a lot of work to get the horses in shape. Jockeys use cobra venom, cocaine and many other drugs to get the horses to go faster. I know because at the stables I go to we have to off the track race horses. Every time they trot or canter their legs swell up because of the injuries they get. People also start training horses when they are young this is bad for them because If they have an injury and it not treated right they will grow into that injury and have pain there the rest of their life. Finally if they horse doesn't get sold to a home they get sent to a meat truck. Thrown away like garbage. Very sad is it not?

• Horse racing is not cruel

Do you see a horse not want to run no they love it and Most of these horses are treated better than humans are in the barns. They are given very good food, are being checked on all hours of the day, and overall, just get plenty of attention to make sure they are healthy. And they love to run too. Horses are BRED to run. I worked in the barns with racehorses and after they ran, a lot of the time they came back really happy. A lot of these racehorses wouldn't even exist if racing was not going on.

• Its not cruel

Yes, they do start them very young at 1 in which horses should be trained later. But really the horses love it. Do you really think that horses hate to run? I'm 100% sure that they would prefer that any day than being taught collection. If thats there job thats all they know and they love it.

• Anyone who knows anything about the Horse industry knows it is not cruel

I have a BSc. In Equine Science and currently studying veterinary medicine. The thoroughbred breed were bred and evolved for racing and sprints. Their whole physiological system has adapted to allow them to do such races. Like Clydesdales are bred to tow heavy loads. Horse racing is not abusive in any form, are there abusive handlers? Sure - in the same way some people are cruel to animals. There are those people in the world and neither you or I are going to have the ability to change that. Sh*t happens, simply as. Horses die from eating a conker (poisonous), like the way horses might die in their field due to an accident. Because that's all it really is. They are athletes. They are not going into these races untrained and unprepared. They are trained from 2 years old (this is also not cruel, normal breeds are trained from 4 years, but like i mention TB's s systems are different and they grow much more quickly]. They majority that retire from racing aren't packaged up and sold for meat, that is not a preference of horse owners. Sometimes the owners are left in so much debt that need the money. I don't see a storm brewing because cows and lambs are born just to die so we can eat. Do YOU eat meat? Do you eat jelly sweets? Because that its made from gelatine from animal skin!
    E.G. Kauto Star; He was an impeccable race horse. When he retired he was not sent to stud as he had been gelded. But he began a different career path and started a dressage career under an Olympian trainer. She loved him, and he loved his work. Thoroughbreds cannot stand idly in their stables for the rest of their lives. It would drive them insane and introduce many other vices; pacing, weaving, wind-sucking, cribbing etc. One morning when he was in his paddock he broke his leg. Simple as, an he had to be put down and a nation was devastated. Because if you really work with horses and know the industry, you would that these things happen. A horse breaking it's leg cannot be saved. And it happens more often to thoroughbreds, due to their conformation they are susceptible to ligament and tendon injuries and its no different to have pugs are prone to eye and respiratory problems. These problems are due to their excessive growth - but this would happen with or without the horse been raced.

This is the way it is. If there was no horse racing, the thoroughbred breed would die.They are not built to be pets, but to race. They race each other in their paddocks all the time. They are flighty and fast and temperamental with hot blood coursing through them. They are creatures of habit, take them out of their routine and they become antsy. Above all let us not forget - nobody can make a horse do something it does not want to do.

• Horse Racing Is Not Cruel

Most of these horses are treated better than humans are in the barns. They are given very good food, are being checked on all hours of the day, and overall, just get plenty of attention to make sure they are healthy. And they love to run too. Horses are BRED to run. I worked in the barns with racehorses and after they ran, a lot of the time they came back really happy. A lot of these racehorses wouldn't even exist if racing was not going on.

• Horse racing is not cruel at all.

Many people who argue that horse racing are cruel have most likely never been near a horse in their entire life. I have been brought up around horses and I worked on a racing yard for 3 years of my life. Ii can honestly say that these horses are not treated cruelly and I have never witnessed an act of cruelty towards any horse that I have been around - this isn't to say there aren't cruel acts among the horse world but racing is most definitely not one of them. I truly believe that a horse would not run if it didn't want to, race horses are treated like the royalty of the horse world. A lot of people usually say that it is the whip that is the cruel part but many famous winners have never used a whip on a horse, Kelly Marks for example is a winning jockey and an ambassador of sorts for the positive treatment of horses and she never used a whip on a horse that won with her.
    I suggest that those who have a negative view of horse racing take their time to do a little research into the real world of horse racing before jumping down the throats of those who support it. If you have no knowledge of a subject do not force your opinion onto other naive people.

• The act its self

Is not cruel ! The act of racing the horse is not cruel, it's what some trainers do to the horses. If you watch horse racing these horses are born/ bread to run! And most of them love it! They start them to young, but again that's a trainers choice and the horses love their jobs. The only support I have to call it "abuse" is what SOME trainers do such as profrormance aid drugs!

• No: Horse Racing is Not Inherently Cruel

If the rider creates a bond with their animal and treats it well, then horse racing can be fine for horses. The problem is when a rider treats the animal as though it were a machine and pushes it past its limits. In this case, horse racing can be cruel, but it is not inherently so. Cruelty comes from the person, not the practice.

• No, horse racing is a tradition.

Horses should be proud of what they compete in. It is not cruel at all. We slaughter cows and pigs for food but no one is asking whether that is cruel. The only thing that is remotely cruel about horse racing is gambling, and that has nothing to do with the well-being of the animals.

• Horse Racing Cruel

I personally think that horse racing is not cruel because the horse racing is not killing a horse it is just racing with a horse. I personally think that horse racing because it is not cruel because horse racing is not abusing the horses as well as not harming the horse.

• Horse racing is not cruel

I don't believe that it's cruel horses are animals that run in the wild and some are tamed and run for competition, the only way it is wrong is if the animals are being abused but if the animals are well taken care of and healthy then I don't see any harm in it .