• It's Rare and Required

Keep in mind... The average global cost to produce an ounce of gold is approximately $1400/ounce. With most any other commodity or service, gold's market price is dictated by supply and demand. If the price drops below the cost to produce it then a shortage would be inevitable and this would result in the stabilizing of the price to a level where global demand could be kept. Essentially, it is a hedge against dollar depreciation. 100 years ago, $100 could have bought a large piece of land. Today it would fill my gas tank one and a half times. What will it be able to buy in 100 years? A bar of gold on the other hand, has not eroded in value over the last 100 years. It lasts as long as other stable earth elements, it's required in industrial processes, it's in demand for it's beauty and other reasons, and this will not likely change, as it hasn't for thousands of years.

• Currently Gold Investment is Wise

Over a year ago Gold prices had peaked almost to $2,000 an ounce (in the US) and many wondered if the prices would ever peak. Currently, Gold prices are at about $1,200 an ounce and it's possible they might go lower. However, much like oil prices and investments in the housing market, Gold prices will eventually go up and possibly reach the same levels as last year. Therefore, investing in gold is a wise decision because the rise and fall of prices are cyclical and naturally the prices of gold will go up.

• Long Term? 15+ Years

YES.. The Enron castrophe shook me up. They say the US is doing well and getting stronger. I see it another way. Short term there are wiser investments, this also depends on you age and personal goals. I wouldn't trust ETF metal funds. Paper is paper is paper - but so is Google stock.

• Gold is a limited commodity used in a consumable environment

Gold has a multitude of uses in industries and is consumed in some processes. It never oxidizes has great van der waals force(the highest in industries) and extreme cohesion. Until someone can find a way to manufacture gold it will always be valuable. My view on gold simply follow history.

• Seems to work for people

Its not a good decision all of the time but as weve seen in tis recession it seems to be a safe haven for investors.

• I think investing in gold is a wise financial decision.

I think it is a great idea to invest in gold. Gold will always be valuable, although the value will fluctuate. Gold is a precious metal, and it will always be precious. Many people like the look and feel of gold and it is a traditionally used for many occasions.

Posted by: FemaleTyron73
  • I think that investing in gold is a wise financial decision, as long as it is part of a diversified investment strategy.

Historically, the value of gold has fluctuated a good deal. When other investments are not doing so well, often, gold will show a great increase in value. Alternately, when other investments, such as stocks and bonds, are doing well, gold and other precious metals may fall in value. So, while I agree that investing in gold is a wise financial decision, I think it should be paired with other investments for an overall positive wealth position.

Posted by: SuddenRashad84
  • Given the uncertainty of currencies, such as the dollar and euro, gold is a sensible investment, as it always retains value.

Countries and businesses rise and fall, but gold, since ancient times, always retains its value. Therefore, in times of uncertainty, such as today, gold is a sensible investment, as it protects the owner from any possible collapse of the currencies, such as the dollar or the euro. While gold may go up and down in value, it will never completely lose its worth.

Posted by: EminentBennett93
  • Gold is one of the few things that has proven to be a sound investment in this economy.

During this economic downturn, gold is one of the few things that has shown itself to be a wise investment. Traditional investments, such as real estate, have lost a lot of value in the past few years. Conversely, gold has grown in value since the beginning of the economic downturn of the past few years.

Posted by: TrainLock
  • Gold is one of the only investments that will never vary as much as a stock.

Investing in gold is probably the safest investment that can be made in these uncertain times in the stock market. Gold will never lose its value because people will always need it to buy expensive gifts. Even if the economy falls apart, the rich will still purchase gold. Stocks may fluctuate drastically, so gold is the best option at this time.

Posted by: M0r3Interior
  • Because it's not a basic necessity.

Invest in Real Estate instead. People needs homes to live and not gold. I think gold will be just a shining stone in future and no one will care to buy it more than they need. Try to invest and buy things in which you can sell it any price you want because people will need it to survive.

• Not exactly...

When one looks to invest in gold they should first look at the state of the economy and the value of the dollar. Then make there mind up.

• Investing in gold doesn't make any sense but buying gold is the best financial move you can make right now.

Will Rogers once said, "I am not so much concerned with the return ON my money as I am with the return OF my money". We buy gold to preserve the value and buying power of our money. Gold is purchased as a form of insurance against corrupt and incompetent governments.

• No, because gold is a bubble market right now.

Investing in gold is extremely risky right now. Gold has increased exponentially over the past few years. Gold may continue to rise in the short term but, eventually, it will crash, like the housing market bubble did.

Posted by: LimpingMurray93
  • No, investing in gold may not necessarily be a wise financial decision because of its nature as being very volatile.

Gold, while having the potential to be a wise short term investment, goes up in value when the stock market and dollar go down. However it is very volatile, and its value can change very rapidly. Gold depends on the economy being in a slump. Just as well, if the stock market crashed, people would be trading goods for services and not using gold as the primary means of currency.

Posted by: R4yAnych

Anonymous says2013-05-22T13:19:13.097
I bought 20 gms gold @31850/10 gms , 2-3 months back , thinking its a good fall from 34000 ,and that it wont go down any further.Today i am suffering a loss of aroud rs 8000 and feeling very bad to spend my hard earned salary on it.Earlier i had bought 60 gms of gold @ 24000/10 gms but did not sell it when it was touching 34000.I am making all mess and not earning anything .I thought it would be easy for me to buy land for my house but i am still not clever enough to make good of the oppurtunities.Confused.