• It DEFINITELY is

I have been dancing for nearly 9 years now and it is not very easy in fact it is so hard and the amount of time you miss things for it is unbelievable and all the time practicing and feising and classes and everything else is so hard so it has to be a sport and all the people who don't think so I'd love to see you dancingđŸ˜‚

• Irish Dance is absolutely a sport.

I have been an Irish Dancer with a registered school for about 3 years now, and I can say that it is a LOT of work. Sports are not only the common things such as hockey, football, baseball, etc. Dance requires much of the same energy. A definition of a sport is a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other (Merriam Webster Dictionary). This is EXACTLY what Irish Dance is, no matter what age the dancer is, whether they be 5, 13, or even 20. In order to advance to the next level of dancing, the dancer must fit the qualifications of the competition, which the judge will determine are present in the dancer or not; i.e. crossed feet, straight legs, correct steps, arms straight and at your side, and MUCH more. It can take several competitions for a dancer to move up, as the feis' are what advance the dancers, not their classes. There is much more I'd like to say to support my argument, but I think this is good for now. :)

• Irish dance is absolutely a sport.

I have been a competitive Irish dancer for over 8 years. Especially as one advances into higher levels, lessons and practice are centered around competition. The combination of the physical fitness required as well as the competitive focus definitely makes Irish dance a sport. It is not unlike gymnastics in this case, which can be considered an art form as well as a competitive sport.

• Irish dance is absolutely a sport.

• Irish dance is a sport!!

Sport defintion: an activity that requires physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes for entertainment. Just this defintion prove that it's a sport. Irish dance requires so much skill and dedication. Also we compete individually and in teams at competions. Irish dance completely fits this defintion!!!

• It depends how much you do

If you are a beginner or you have never done Irish dance you do not have the right to say if it is a sport, I am a competitive dancer and I think I can say that it is a sport. You work everyday 3 hours+ with non stop movement, and if you look up the definition of a sport," an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." you compete in a solo or a team competition, it may not look like a sport in your eyes from watching a competition, but if you take time to look at the practice and fitness we go through you will see its a sport.

• Irish Dance is a sport!

Loads of Irish dancers compete with the same injuries that footballers would take 6 weeks out from. It's not a beauty pageant - we wear a full face of makeup to have the right look! We need so much stamina and energy and we're training for at least 3 hours a day. In other sports you would train 3 hours a week!

• How isn't it?

Irish dance is as much as a sport as soccer, cricket, etc. irish dancers put in as much or even more effort than an average athlete. We train from 1- 2 hours in class as well as 2- 3 hours out of class as well as going to school and doing other sports. You might think i'm only saying this because i do irish dancing but no i'm saying this as someone who plays basketball, baseball and does irish dance. Irish dance is a sport we put in the effort, we have the endurance and stamina plus we're flexible like gymnast. One thing most people don't know about irish dancers is most of us who win world's, nations or some other major comp have won on a broken foot or ankle. So next time you think that irish dance isn't a sport remember irish dance is puts in the same effort as normal athletes and we compete for the same title and also irish dancers are currently being debated whether or not they should be put in the olympics.

• Irish Dance Is A Sport

Irish Dance is a sport because just like all other athletes dancers have to practice endlessly, pour their heart into their work just like basketball, soccer, and many other sports. We have diets with tons of protien and carbs. We have to train relentlessly if we want to maintain a good position in the competition state. All the work is worth it, even if you only get to dance a few minutes in a feis

• Definetly a sport

Irish dance is a sport because it involves these three things, blood, sweat, and tears. It is like saying ballet is a sport. So in saying ballet is a sport, then Irish dancing is a sport. So if you said ballet is not a sport, which is wrong , you would be saying the same thing about Irish dancing

• No its not

Yes, it's athletic and requires physical talent but theres no scoreboard or winning so it should be a physical activity. Sports require a scoreboard, timing, or any other way to determine who has won. Dancing is judged, and the winner is based on the opinion of the judge, not by physical capabilities.

• No no no!!!!!

Absolutely not. It is not a sport. All those little brats who do it just say it is to make themselves feel good. I have done Irish Dance, Basketball, Track and Volleyball. And believe me, there is a HUGE difference. You actually work hard for something in real sports. Dance is just a pagent and then you dance for a minute or less.... But you play basketball and volleyball for at least an hour IF it doesn't go overtime.

• Nope not at all....

Yes Irish dancers but in a lot of hard work and great effort, but that DOES NOT make it a sport, athletes put in equal amount of hard work and effort too. Maybe more! It's just like saying that ballet, tap-dancing and others like the tango, waltz, barn-dancing etc are sports,which they're NOT,!So therefor DOES NOT make irish-dancing a sport. Oh yeah, and when do you ever see swimmers, soccer players , tennis players etc wearing make-up, wigs, glittery dresses and fake-tan on them while playing???

• Dance is an art.

It is just that it is an art. Yes it take alot of time and effort and talent but it isn't classifies as a sport. By saying it is not a sport does not make it less hard it is just as challenging as some sports maybe even more so. Sports you compete where as dance or other art forms you preform.

• Dance is Art

I don't think that Irish Dance is sport. I don't think any dance should be sport. Dance is a form of art and it makes people feel good and relived. Where as sports are design to be in competition. Dance is more like social hobbie where as to sport is professional.

• There is a fine line

What is a sport and what isn't? ESPN covers golf, therefore it is a sport, and they don't cover badminton unless it's in the Olympics, so I classify it as a game. I see Irish dance as an activity, not a sport. Other people may see it differently, but when I think of sports, the first thing that comes to mind is not Irish dance, and probably never will be.

• It barely invokes activity

Irish dance is the most boring sport ever created. My sister does it and talks about it all the time, but to be honest I don't think it requires any difficulty or skill. They dress up like goons and they dance, and dance shouldn't be considered a sport to me

• It barely invokes activity

• Nooooooooo no no NOOO

No it is NOT a sport I do irish dancing my self, and think it is defo not because come on it's much much harder than many actual sports so it should not be classified as a sport it should classified as a genre of dancing, like ballet tap dancing even ice dancing! And buy no means is it easy...Just because someone thinks wat they do is hard doesn't mean dancing is easy it's really hard and much more fun than any sport!

• To meIt's 50/50

It's not its OWN sport because it falls under the category of dAnce. Like tap dance or jazz. It's A sport but not it's OWN sport if you know what I mean. Swimming is it's own sport. Gymnastics or basketball are both there own sports. This long article thug was written by me Kimberly the awesomely awesomest person ever