• This should not even be questioned !

Irish dancing did so much to my life. I am so happy I joined because it makes me stronger, physically and mentally.First, yes we do wear dresses, but think soccer/football or any other sport like that. They wear uniforms , so in Irish dancing we wear dresses as our "uniform". And 2, because we do have some physical fighting like pushing/kicking. I hate how people even think that irish dancing is not a sport.

• Yes yes yes

Irish dancibg is more than a sport!! It’s Dedication!! The blood,Sweat and tears we put in is crazy.Everyone says oh all you do is put on the dress,make up,tan and wig and off you go.NO it’s not I’ve been dancing for 9 years now and I’ll tell ya it’s more than a sport.Ya everyone think that football and basketball is a sport and it is but dancing is more than a sport it’s physical it’s hard work!!! So next time you Doubt dancing come on here on reads these debates... For me dancing is a sport 100%

• Yes yes yes

• Yes yes yes

• Yes yes yes

• Yes yes yes

• Its a sport

Its a sport coz i know it and i do it myself and also dont you get tired when you do sports. Well you get tired when you do irish dancing
    and you can do competitions for it and doing anything with your legs is a sport. So read up on it.

• Yes it is

I have done Irish Dance for 8 years nationally and internationally and the stamina it takes to become good is surprisingly so hard. You train like an olympic athlete and even though the performance it for a matter of minutes the trading it takes to become that level is as much as an Olympic athlete

• Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Irish dance is a sport. It involves physical activity and a lot of effort. It might not be like basketball or soccer, but it requires a lot of hard work and skilled. The definition of sport clearly says that a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Therefore, Irish dance is a sport.

• Irish dancing is a sport

Honestly if you don't think that irish dancing is a sport then could you start dancing and be 13 year old and go to the gym 3 times a week dance for 2 hours 7 days of the week AND do a half an hour of skipping every single day and everybody else enjoys their saturday while we dance from 10am until 5.30pm EVERY SATURDAY so next time you even start to think that irish dancing isnt a sport please read this message over and over until you get it into your head that irish dancing IS SPORT. Lastly I would also like to say that irish dancing is not only a sport but is an amazing art and is a pleasure to watch in a show or at a competition. But that all the dancers in the whole world are not forced to wear dresses and wigs and fake tan and makeup we all do this by choice because this makes each and every dancer feel special and make them feel like they're are going to be the centre of attention for those 2 minutes that they're on stage.

• No its not

Yes, it's athletic and requires physical talent but theres no scoreboard or winning so it should be a physical activity. Sports require a scoreboard, timing, or any other way to determine who has won. Dancing is judged, and the winner is based on the opinion of the judge, not by physical capabilities.

• No no no!!!!!

Absolutely not. It is not a sport. All those little brats who do it just say it is to make themselves feel good. I have done Irish Dance, Basketball, Track and Volleyball. And believe me, there is a HUGE difference. You actually work hard for something in real sports. Dance is just a pagent and then you dance for a minute or less.... But you play basketball and volleyball for at least an hour IF it doesn't go overtime.

• Nope not at all....

Yes Irish dancers but in a lot of hard work and great effort, but that DOES NOT make it a sport, athletes put in equal amount of hard work and effort too. Maybe more! It's just like saying that ballet, tap-dancing and others like the tango, waltz, barn-dancing etc are sports,which they're NOT,!So therefor DOES NOT make irish-dancing a sport. Oh yeah, and when do you ever see swimmers, soccer players , tennis players etc wearing make-up, wigs, glittery dresses and fake-tan on them while playing???

• Dance is an art.

It is just that it is an art. Yes it take alot of time and effort and talent but it isn't classifies as a sport. By saying it is not a sport does not make it less hard it is just as challenging as some sports maybe even more so. Sports you compete where as dance or other art forms you preform.

• Dance is Art

I don't think that Irish Dance is sport. I don't think any dance should be sport. Dance is a form of art and it makes people feel good and relived. Where as sports are design to be in competition. Dance is more like social hobbie where as to sport is professional.

• There is a fine line

What is a sport and what isn't? ESPN covers golf, therefore it is a sport, and they don't cover badminton unless it's in the Olympics, so I classify it as a game. I see Irish dance as an activity, not a sport. Other people may see it differently, but when I think of sports, the first thing that comes to mind is not Irish dance, and probably never will be.

• It barely invokes activity

Irish dance is the most boring sport ever created. My sister does it and talks about it all the time, but to be honest I don't think it requires any difficulty or skill. They dress up like goons and they dance, and dance shouldn't be considered a sport to me

• It barely invokes activity

• Nooooooooo no no NOOO

No it is NOT a sport I do irish dancing my self, and think it is defo not because come on it's much much harder than many actual sports so it should not be classified as a sport it should classified as a genre of dancing, like ballet tap dancing even ice dancing! And buy no means is it easy...Just because someone thinks wat they do is hard doesn't mean dancing is easy it's really hard and much more fun than any sport!

• To meIt's 50/50

It's not its OWN sport because it falls under the category of dAnce. Like tap dance or jazz. It's A sport but not it's OWN sport if you know what I mean. Swimming is it's own sport. Gymnastics or basketball are both there own sports. This long article thug was written by me Kimberly the awesomely awesomest person ever