Is it a good idea for the TSA to allow pocket knives back on airplanes?

• An emergency situation

All of these people are complaining about having knives on airplanes and they won't be when there is an emergency situation and you need to cut something like a seatbelt and they will beg to use your knife.Also if you crash land somewhere away from population that knife would be a vital tool to survive.

• An emergency situation

• Knives are useful tools, but poor weapons.

The knives that tsa is considering allowing on planes are limited to 60mm length from the hilt, less than 1/2" in width, and non locking. To put it in perspective, a standard pocket Swiss army knife is too big. Such a small knife is borderline useless in a fight due to it's small size and weak design. An empty soda can or a rolled up magazine can be made into a much more effective weapon with proper training and mindset.
    For those that say that you aren't away from your pocket knife for very long, any time I've ever flown anywhere, I have a number of connecting flights, long layovers, ect. I would usually expect to spend at least 8 hours away from my checked luggage. Almost every time I've flown since the knife restrictions have gone into place, I have found myself in need of a blade of some sort, to trim a string, remove a splinter, open a package, ect. A small pocket knife would have been the perfect tool.
    Furthermore, a lot of business travelers do not check bags, which means that limiting their ability to carry a pocket knife affects their entire trip, not just their time spent in airports.

• Yes, It is a good idea to allow pocket knives on airplanes

In my opinion, terrorists bring weapons on board regardless of the rules, so the need to defend yourself is enforced by allowing pocket knives on. Even if this doesn't help anything, it might give passengers a better chance of protecting themselves in a bad situation. 9/11 was done with box cutters, so pocket knives might have very well saved the day.

• Yes, I believe the right to travel with pocket knives is a very good idea.

Pocket knifes are tools that countless millions of people carry on any given day. They do not pose the threat of accidentally puncturing the fuselage of the aircraft. Pocket knives can also be an essential life-saving tool in moments of extreme emergency, such as for cutting through a damaged seat-belt.

• For what purpose?

Who needs a knife on a plane? Finger nail clipper would be nice but can wait until I land! For sewing purposes, it would be nice to be able to cut the thread! I, for one, do not, and I mean NOT want to sit next to someone playing with a knife of any size! Also, can you understand the time that it will take for security to measure every single knife? Dumbest idea you have come up with yet, laughing at the save security time excuse!

• No knives of any kind should be allowed on airplanes.

I suppose that means box cutters are fine too? How much of the taxpayers money was spent coming up with this idea to change the system? I think our money could be better spent on our airport security. I don't want to be in the seat next to someone with a knife.

• No, it is unsafe.

I think that the TSA is an organization that is rightfully assumed to essentially be incompetent. It makes matters even worse when things like this whole pocket knife fiasco come around. Why would anyone think that it is a good idea to once again allow knives on a plane, it's not!

• There absolutely no need.

Why does anybody need a knife on a plane? Passengers on a plane are in a uniquely bound position of being trapped. I think their safety should be paramount, and easily trumps an individual's need to carry a pocket knife. I don't necessarily believe a single pocket knife could do serious harm to an entire plane, but it is enough for someone to get hurt. I do not think any airline should allow any weapon of any kind n a plane.

• No, I Do Not!

I agree, pocket knives on airplanes are inviting people to bring other weapons on board. Pocket knives can be used as weapons in hurting other people for personal and criminal purposes. When I fly, I want to feel safe and not be afraid of someone who will use their weapon to their advantage!

• No, letting knives back on planes makes room for other weapons to be on there as well.

I can't think of any reason why someone would need a pocket knife on a plane. Flights are short and I can't see anyone wanting to whittle between take off and landing. Allowing pocket knives simply makes room for people to sneak other weapons on. Just put the knife in your luggage -- I think you can live without it for an hour.

Anonymous says2013-04-23T19:12:22.873
This debate is insane. A small knife is not useful for self defense or offense. If you really feel they make the aircraft unsafe, you should be lobbing to not allow glass bottles, small screwdrivers, scissors, or a number of other common products which are allowed on planes and make far better weapons than tiny knives.

As for why people need knives, it's because they're handy in daily life. I carry a small multitool with a blade at all times to do very ordinary things like open packages, turn screws, open bottles, and a million other things. If I found myself in a dangerous situation, I would not consider using it

No one wants to use their knife against you on a plane. Before 9/11 how many times did you ever hear of someone getting cut on an aircraft?

FWIW, I often forget to leave my pocketknife/multitool at home and once in awhile TSA takes it from me. But I get through the vast majority of the time.