Is it acceptable for older men [bronies] to watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

Asked by: Solomon_Orlando
  • It's just a show, anyone should be allowed to watch what they want, simple.

I am naturally on the Yes side here, is it okay for a Grown man to watch a kids show? Yes! Why wouldn't it be okay? Besides metaphorical arguments, I can't think of a reason as to why it shouldn't be allowed, if you want to watch My Little Pony, go ahead! It may be considered weird to some, but who cares! If you enjoy the show, watch it! You shouldn't be stopped, you have and should have the freedom to watch what you want!

• Most People Don't Really Care

If it makes you happy, then watch it. There's really nothing wrong with it, it's just a cartoon show. Everyone who is opposed to men watching it are just really ignorant and pretty obnoxious. There seems to be something to it if so many people like it, so if you like it then I can't say I blame you. It looks like a cute show.

• Most People Don't Really Care

• Society and man

Society and man has changed everything, like masculinity. You can be man and watch mlp. Being a man does not include killing everybody you see and hate all who disagree. There is no such thing as man up. I do not have enough info to be completely supportive, but I do know it is ok

• Its an ok show its like dragonball

... Really good show i was the stereotypical wtf you doing watching mlp person, i just watched a recent video the actual storyline is ok if your in to the thing its ok i kinda like it im not a big anime fan but ill watch some stuff once in a while i think the main problem is mainly the name and the actual fact that they're pony's other than that it is a great show now everyone should spam the chat :P

• Why shouldn't they?

Along as they pay their cable bill etc, why shouldn't they. Sure, it's strange, but they have a right to watch the show. No harm done, it's not illegal and likings vary between individuals. Why should we ban people from viewing My Little Pony and other than the subtle reference made for the mature it's even educational.

• Maybe you should look beyond season 1.

This show starts off cutesy, but don't be fooled. It has dark storylines and many hints to gore. Here are some examples.
    Season 4 end: epic dragonballZ fight, death of a villain by physical violence. By death, he's ACTUALLY dead.
    Season 2 end: mass deaths, giant fight scene by physical violence, lots of face-punching and kicking.
    Season 5 end: a WAR, causing houses and entire towns to be destroyed or turned into factories. Physical violence, along with all the manual labor that comes with it.
    Season 5 start: communist utopia, where main characters are placed in a dark chamber with loudspeaker messages playing such as "to excel is to fail.", "be your best by never being your best," and "free yourself from your special talent.", until the individual is forced to blindly accept the town's philosophy and never leave. Explain how this is "girly."

• No its very homophobic.

The reason I say no is because most these men who watch the show are nothing but just a bunch homosexuals, I mean seriously what kind of grown supposedly "MAN" watches a little girls show. I'm just saying because we don't need this kind of energy for males, and also its very embarassing to MANkind .

• It is not grown men the problem here, but little girls.

That show is known to attract grown men, specially furries, and mix them with small children, who are also part of their fandom. Do you really want your children to be exposed to that kind of influences?
    Immature grown men, strangers, and furries. That is the kind of people your little girl will be in contact with if you allow her to watch the show.
    We can't control what grown men are doing, but we can teach our children the dangers this show represents to them. My opinion is that they can still watch other cartoons with better public, keeping them safer when they go into forums or chats to meet other children their age.

Posted by: Rafe
  • No, not to society anyway

The show My Little Pony is a children's tv show, aimed at girls aged 5-9. Therefore the shows plot line, character complexity and development as well as the level of sophistication are going to be low accordingly, as any show made with 5 year olds in mind is not going to be complex.
    This means that most people would find grown men watching a tv show for young girls unacceptable because this means that they find a show meant for 5 year old girls entertaining despite the aforementioned factors (weak plot line, lack of character complexity and development, as well as general of sophistication etc...) this would indicate that the grown men who do enjoy the show are emotionally and intellectually stunted because they can find a 5 year old girls tv show entertaining and can emotionally relate to it.
    Those are in my opinion the primary reasons people find it strange and unacceptable that grown men watch MLP.
    The obnoxiousness of some members of the fandom online doesn't help ether; I often find it quite ironic how a fandom supposedly based on love and tolerance is one of the least tolerant fandoms around.

If you need any more proof of why the fandom is just plain wrong and strange and why people think that its unacceptable and weird, type Twilight Sparkle (the name of the main character) into Google and see what the most searched thing is. And the fact that that is the most searched thing means a lot of people must have searched it. 'Nuf said I think.

• I think this is an abomination

Please, you are grown ass men you can learn to understand that some shows are made for little girls and that it is extremely out of the ordinary to watch a show made for that fanbase. Do not act like no one cares because this worries me, for I have children and I would not want them around you sick horse lovers. Sign - Ronald Drump

• I think this is an abomination

• I think this is an abomination

• I think this is an abomination

• I think this is an abomination

• Neckbeards/losers top cringe

Half of them watch it to be "unique" and the other half are neckbeards with too much oestrogen. Absolutely disgraceful, it's a show aimed at young girls yet you try and force it upon normal people. Everybody is sick and tired of your autism and the only thing you provide us with is cringe videos.

• The Target Market. Its wrong.

I watched the first episode of this show, and I thought it was appealing. FOR LITTLE KIDS. The humor is stale, the plot is straight-from-the-fairy-tale-plot, But that's what its supposed to be. But that's okay, because its TARGETING little girls. Now, if a couple grown men watch MLP, im not gonna mind. Its probably some kind of bandwagon thing, but 60% of the people watching this fable show turned into an abomination are grown men watching a show for little girls, and HUB network is just feeding the bronies. Its not right.