• Fundamentally no, but there are justifiable grounds for it.

Generally speaking, animals don't belong in cages and should not serve the purpose of human amusement and be treated as property.

That being said, considering that so many animals are endangered, largely due to human activity, providing a safe and nourishing habitat is imperative to ensure their survival. While it is far from perfect, with plenty of room for improvement, it is nonetheless a step forward.

I know that many animal right activists and vegans love to bash this notion, claiming to be animal lovers and care; however, it is important to note something- everything we know, love, and appreciate about animals has been largely possible because of captivity. They will say that visiting the zoo condones animal cruelty, but the reality is that people merely wish to see live exotic animals and appreciate them, and I'm sure that if they could do that safely and cost-effectively within the animal's natural habitat, they'd do that instead (I know I would choose that over a zoo).

If I am to argue for continuing to expand captivity and sanctuaries, I'd call for high quality regulations and standards of care and nourishment across the board, with the goal of emulating the animal's natural habitat as much as possible.
    If I am to argue for closing down all zoos and captivities, it would be on the grounds of letting nature and life find its way, for there have been plenty of animals gone extinct long before human intervention (nothing is meant to be forever).

Lastly, I should note that while animals don't belong in cages and shouldn't be treated as property, all of us that own pets are doing exactly that- talk about the irony.