Is it against human rights to withhold bathroom privileges to students?

Asked by: GoodPoint
  • Students have rights

When students need to go to the bathroom, they need to go, would you rather they embarrass themselves and wee themselves? If you urgently wanted to go to the bathroom, students can't stop teachers so it shouldn't be like that the other way round either! It's unfair and even more, it's unhumain.

• My English teacher Mrs Schlick from silver creek schools wont let me go

She is unfair and she wont let me use the bathroom when need and she says If i walk out i will get detention which is just very unfair and it is against the law to not let us go. In conclusion it is very stupid, to not let us go.

• Yes it is

It is because it clearly states in the us children rights that and I quote, ‘States Parties recognize the right of the child to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health.’ That means that children up to the ages of 18 years can go to the bathroom in a emergency because if they don’t it could cause damage to the mental and physical health of a child and this could potentially be carried into adulthood.

• Blackhawk Middle School

I am in 7th grade I had to use the restroom so I asked the teacher, she said do you have a pass, I said no then she went on and said I gave you 3 passes at the beginning of the trimester, I went and I sat in my seat I waited a half hour and I said I’m using the bathroom and walking out to go to the restroom I hear the other teacher in the room say did he ask to use the bathroom, I came back from the bathroom and she did one of the old lady come here and she said why do you feel like you need to go to the bathroom without asking, I said I did but she said no and so she told me I have detention and so I stressed to her that it is a basic human right to use the restroom if it is a “emergency” and then she was raising her voice at me in front of the class and said “do you have a bladder issue, do we need to go up to the nurse” I then said how dare you and left the classroom to find my IEP teacher, I didn’t realise they are friends so I got lectured on how it is rude to talk back to a teacher. ————-BHMS STUDENT

• It is a basic human function

How would you like it if you were denied the use of a restroom. I am I high school student I sit in periods for up to and hour and a half each day, now imagine having to "hold it" for that long that could cause an infection it is your basic human right to use a freaking bathroom.

• Basic Human Right

This just seems like something that should not even be debated. There are so many health reasons against this, it's a terrible system in place. Yes, there are people who abuse this right when given, but it can't be taken away. The cost is too great. Especially for cis girls, or some trans boys. It's just generally a horrible rule that some schools have.

• Especially if you're a girl.

I was on my period and I had to use the bathroom. This teacher at my school that I absolutely despise denied me access to use it. I was very angry, because it is a basic right that I should be allowed to use the bathroom as needed. So I emailed my counselor and she came and got me. This isn't over though, because I assume she'll hate me even more. So I'm going to write a poem and then perform it in front of my school. Yay!

• It is inhumane. Kids might wet their pants, and it is bad for your intestnes.

I am only allowed 4 passes a week, and some kids have already used them all up. They have to go to extreme measures, like sneaking out of the room and getting doctors notes. Teachers can go whenever they want, and kids should too. Kids should have the same rights as their teachers because it's only fair.

• Violates the Universal Right to Adequate Living Standards

Using the bathroom is a natural occurrence that everyone needs to do at least once a day, usually more. Not only would it be Morally wrong to keep anyone from using a restroom, but it violates the right to adequate living standards. No one can take that right away from anyone, even if it is as minuscule as using the bathroom.
    In my eduactional experience, when I was 18, and a senior in high school, I would occasionally leave class to use the restroom. In a certain class the teacher literally counted each time a student used the restroom and for how long. I was in the restroom for about 10 minutes, and I returned to the room to a disdainful teacher, and she called me to her desk. "Where were you." she asked. I replied, "I was in the bathroom". "For eleven minutes? I don't think so." she replied quite aggressively, and I said i was on the phone with my mom, which I was for that last few minutes of this bathroom break. She told me that she would have to 'revoke my bathroom privileges' ... I felt very targeted and violated by this threat, and replied, in the most respectful tone I could manage "I don't think that using the bathroom or contacting a parent is a privilege that you can take away. It is a right." She then had the audacity to demand an apology for me "abusing bathroom privileges" and i said, "I'm sorry, I dont want to upset you, but I am not going to apologize for exercising a basic human right and advocating for my rights as a human being, even less an American adult." she rolled her eyes and sent me back to my seat. When the class was dismissed, I reported this immediately to my school's administration, and after a few short days, she was fired for threatening a student and violating a student's rights, and for being extremely rude to not only me, but my mother who was also very concerned about the way in which she handled it.
    I am by no means saying that restricting access to bathrooms will get you fired, but it most definitely can if you handle the situation in the wrong way.
    A better way to do this is to maybe tell the student to wait until a better time that would not take away from his or her learning, like during homework time, or reading time. This is a totally respectable thing to do, and does not in any violate the rights of the student.
    Good luck!

• If you need to go to the bathroom you go

Its your right as a human to be able to go to the bathroom. Your teacher does not tell you when you go to the bathroom your body does. If you need to go to the bathroom and your teacher says no it can be damaging even at some point it is even healthy to go to the bathroom i hope your at least the smallest convinced couse if your not that a shame

• OK, are bathrooms really rights?

There are plenty of times when a student needs to use the bathroom, but how does that connect to human rights?

The answer is that waiting to go the bathroom can be painful, but teachers aren't trying to torture students. Rather, they need to sit down, be patient, and learn. As supported by Senator Earl Plismuth, "Why are you asking me this? Who the heck can make any connection between bathrooms and human rights?"

• Not an absolute right

The argument there is an absolute right ignores the simple reality is somewhere between the student with legitimate medical problems, there is a tremendous amount of abuse of students using restroom breaks as an excuse to escape the classroom. For a couple of years our school tracked who went to the restroom and when. It showed that nearly a quarter of the students abused the system by going five or more times in a day with no medical conditions. Those identified could only go with an escort. That dramatically dropped restroom usage abuse. It was a labor intensive program and ended due to staffing issues